Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The effect is like putting soft furnishing and carpet in a room. It takes out the echo and harshness.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seems Like Some Differences

Thanks for the info Cy. I've just rang Mazda dealer. He'll order one in for me at soon as I can get there to put down a deposit. Just under $170 like you said. Will report back as to its effectiveness.
In Prices, it must be different from different States over here in OZ. This is the reply from a High Up Sales Manager, (at the Dealer where I have just purchased my car from), when I was asking as to why it wasn't fitted to a Petrol Car over here, as it appears its only on the Diesel Car.

Hi Darren

I just received some pricing and unusual advice from one of our service advisors.

The insulation piece is $125.10 and the clips are a whopping $10.80 each (10 required - $100.80) all these prices include GST.

The kicker is that Mazda Australia will not warrant the items as they are not being fitted to a diesel CX3? Also if we order them they are not returnable?

A very unusual situation that I have not come across before.

Darren

·
Registered
274 Posts
In Prices, it must be different from different States over here in OZ. This is the reply from a High Up Sales Manager, (at the Dealer where I have just purchased my car from), when I was asking as to why it wasn't fitted to a Petrol Car over here, as it appears its only on the Diesel Car.

Hi Darren

I just received some pricing and unusual advice from one of our service advisors.

The insulation piece is $125.10 and the clips are a whopping $10.80 each (10 required - $100.80) all these prices include GST.

The kicker is that Mazda Australia will not warrant the items as they are not being fitted to a diesel CX3? Also if we order them they are not returnable?

A very unusual situation that I have not come across before.

Darren
Geeze, I'd like that price. I went in yesterday and order one for $167.50. Should be in around Tuesday. For those interested, I'll report back in about a week and tell if it seems to be worth fitting.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
You can buy the clips in any accessory shop. I think somebody here did it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ok, time for my report on fitting the Bonnet (Hood) Insulator.

What have I found?

Hard to tell if it quietens the engine noise down. I think it does (to a small extent) but, maybe I just want it so.

It certainly looks Soooo much better than "that bare look". Every time I look at it I FEEL BETTER (Guess that's what counts).

Now heed the warning: DO NOT buy 10x fasteners from a dealer. They will charge 8-10 times what you can buy from the shop. See pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Honestly I'm fine with the engine noise from this car. What bothers me more is the road noise. It always sounds like a crack of the window is open, or the door isn't shut properly. Just way too much road noise gets in the car in my opinion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i never knew they were for road noise.. just thought they were a fire blanket if the engine cought fire it would melt the push pins and have that fall on the engine and smother it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i never knew they were for road noise.. just thought they were a fire blanket if the engine cought fire it would melt the push pins and have that fall on the engine and smother it.
I have heard that is an urban myth. Otherwise, every vehicle would have one and few seem to be such equipped these days.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The range of build sheets in the factory must be unbelievable!
As I go through the posts I'm amazed at the different variation. Only goes to point out how essential it is for forum members to indicate what country they are from. (I know you've begged anchorman....but still so many are reluctant to indicate).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Must admit I never looked at it that way. I think anchorman put it into perspective in his "The effect is like putting soft furnishing and carpet in a room. It takes out the echo and harshness".

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Must admit I never looked at it that way. I think anchorman put it into perspective in his "The effect is like putting soft furnishing and carpet in a room. It takes out the echo and harshness".
To be honest, I've got no doubt it's flame resistant but if you dropped it onto an open fire, I think it would burn. :eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have heard that is an urban myth. Otherwise, every vehicle would have one and few seem to be such equipped these days.
Well i had a chevy before my Mazda and when i was removing the windshield wiper hose to run a new line i ripped that liner piece and when i ordered it from chevy it came in it said that its an "insulator" and the directions pointed it out that its mostly a heat shield to protect your paint from changing color from the heat of the engine and also called it a "Fire Blanket" so i guess different manufactures say it does different things.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Well i had a chevy before my Mazda and when i was removing the windshield wiper hose to run a new line i ripped that liner piece and when i ordered it from chevy it came in it said that its an "insulator" and the directions pointed it out that its mostly a heat shield to protect your paint from changing color from the heat of the engine and also called it a "Fire Blanket" so i guess different manufactures say it does different things.
Might be so. Most don't seem to have it on a CX-3 so I guess noise in our case. Diesel engines tend to run cooler than petrol/gasoline so that points to noise too. That is a good point about the paint. Imagine just how much heat a bonnet/hood is subject to when stood in a traffic jam in Arizona or various other parts of the world. Searing heat from both sides and yet on the coldest days in Scandinavia, you can still flex a bumper without it cracking. Astonishing when you think.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Most times when parking my car in the garage I open the bonnet (hood) for that very reason. I've done that with all my cars. And, that was another reason for fitting the under bonnet insulator.

·
Registered
451 Posts
However, I would question whether it is a good idea to install a blanket since it would tend to keep the heat in rather than let it out while the car is underway and generating lots of heat (much as when we cover ourselves with a blanket at night). These Skyactive engines are very high compression and tend to run hotter than most engines and I for one would not want anything to impede the cooling of the surrounding air.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's so interesting reading all the "different" ways we think of the "bonnet ( hood) insulator". Now Geezer your take on it sounds logical as does all the others. Guess the truth of it falls some where in-between. Whatever the right answer at least it's great to get the ideas of others.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I can absolutely guarantee that there will be no adverse effect from fitting one of those insulators. The plastic engine cover which is lined with rubber and the wiring loom would be at risk if that was the case. The actual engine bay area temperature is governed by the coolant temperature inside the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone. Had anyone been able to track down part numbers that works here in the US for the insulator and clips? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts