Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My US spec CX-3 Touring didn't come with under hood insulation, which made the engine buzzy noise get pretty loud during any acceleration.
I decided to look for OE solutions but was told Mazda USA doesn't supply these for CX-3 nor Mazda 3. I'm pretty sure Scion iA aka Mazda 2 doesn't have it either.

So I went to junk yard and pulled one from a 1996-2005 VW Passat for $8 (vs $70-120 for typical OE pad).

To make it fit under the hood using OE holes, I had to get specific pins from NAPA. Too large or small will not work.

It is not pretty because the pad was soaked under weather at junk yard, but it works well to keep the buzzy engine noise down.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think the diesels do. I'll take a photo tomorrow and see if I can find some part numbers. You might be able to special order one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the diesels do. I'll take a photo tomorrow and see if I can find some part numbers. You might be able to special order one.
Thank you! When can all use it in U.S. since none come with it. They should at least put some in GT trims.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
OK, this is the proper hood liner. I can see your hood has the hooks and the 10 holes needed for the trim studs;

Here you can see I’ve shown it in the parts list. The items are highlighted in yellow on the drawing and ticked in the parts list on the right. The part numbers are;

INSULATOR BONNET (HOOD TO YOU ;-)) D10E-56-681 QTY 1

FASTENER BONNET TD11-56-694 QTY 10

These so called Parts Executives just don’t know how to look at the inventory without a VIN No but if you take the part numbers to them, hopefully, they can order them in. It measures 46 inches long so too long to go in my case or I would bring one in June.

Soraia, to be honest, I don’t think I could handle that old hood liner on my new car but I think the idea is valid and worthwhile. Hood liners stop noise and to some extent, panel drumming. If Mazda can’t get the proper one, I would seek out some decent fibreboard and cut it to fit perfectly. You could easily make a paper template to help get the right shape. Be sure to use fibreboard that is flame/temperature resistant

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pic and parts numbers. I actually have another one in better shape from an early 2000 Camry that is flatter. I think I can trace with a cardboard and cut it into shape.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does this really make a noticeable difference in engine noise? I know a lot of noise comes through the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Usually, they won’t fit a washer without a reason so my guess is that it reduces the harshness of the diesel and would do the same for the petrol (2.0G).

All these little refinements add up.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm skeptical too but since they place it on the diesel to reduce the "chatter" it must have some benefit to the interior. I'd love to try a before and after but not an easy task if the part isn't readily available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got the insulator installed on my car 2.0L I4 Petrol engine - didn't really notice any reduction in noise but still glad i got them because it looks bare without it

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It shows on the parts list as £43 (about $60) but that could be a transfer price that the dealer pays from Mazda. Best thing is to phone your local dealer and see if he can get it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the insulator installed on my car 2.0L I4 Petrol engine - didn't really notice any reduction in noise but still glad i got them because it looks bare without it
Be aware, mine is from a VW Passat. Even similar year Toyota Camry part is made differently.
Not all of them are made equal. Results may vary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever part price dealer tells you as MSRP, haggle 20% off and they will still sell happily.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I ordered them from the Mazda Dealer where i bought my car from
In the USA? Did they recognise the numbers OK.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Standard in DK

HI
this hood insulation was standard in my 2.0 120HP Petrol in DK.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts