Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Oh man the thin tire sidewall of the 18s always make me nervous for that terrain and was one of the primary reasons I dropped down to 16 to fatten the tire sides. Always good to see a fellow cx3 being pushed beyond road limits.

Curious as to what tire pressure you had here?

·
Registered
2016 CX3 GT
6 Posts
There is actually a decent amount of sidewall looks much less in pictures, I just run oem pressures as I found the grip to be excellent without even airing down and then I have less chance of debeading a tire on rocks, I think the cx3 being so light helps huge with offroad performance, climbs up steep hills without even trying lol, love how fun it is offroad, sure it's a bit slower pace then say a jeep but people love seeing it on the trails, one gentleman we camped with Said it reminded him of old 90s small pickup truck commercials seeing me rock crawl out of the forest 😂

·
Registered
123 Posts
You got me super exited with the Ceika linka. About to order a pair! Your car looks pretty sweet! Rad pics. Regarding the rod extensions, that is what I am currently using at the moment, but learned that it is easier, stronger and safer, to modify the top hat by drilling out a hole and extend with a piece of pipe 1" then reinstall. Did Ceika say that they could sell you custom coilovers with extra travel if you order them custom? Or they don't offer the option of extra height at all?

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Hey everyone, considering lifting my CX-3 as it just feels so low compared to my Land Rover I came from. This thread has been super informative for me so just double-checking I have this right before I order some parts. So just confirming that not only will I need the Tanabe springs but also this lift kit so the struts don't bottom out? - Complete Lift kit 30mm for Mazda CX-3 2015-present | Mazda 2 2014-present | eBay

(Excuse if it's a silly question. I know quite a bit on the engine side but next to nothing on the suspension side... ha)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Hey everyone, considering lifting my CX-3 as it just feels so low compared to my Land Rover I came from. This thread has been super informative for me so just double-checking I have this right before I order some parts. So just confirming that not only will I need the Tanabe springs but also this lift kit so the struts don't bottom out? - Complete Lift kit 30mm for Mazda CX-3 2015-present | Mazda 2 2014-present | eBay

(Excuse if it's a silly question. I know quite a bit on the engine side but next to nothing on the suspension side... ha)
Sort of yes and no? Lol its a little complex since itl be a preference thing really. Cx3 suspension hits hard in general regardless of mods, impact is reduced a bit going from 18 to 16" wheels since bigger sidewall cushions it a bit more, but having only installed the springs I dont see much difference in comfort from stock height and here in my usage.

Im not a fan of the spacers personally given that its basically rubbery material being slammed the weight of the car on and given the negligence of the rear spring spacer setup and that the vendor still sells it is just a bad day waiting to happen. Dunno on the longevity of the spacers either but a good starting point seems to be the spring set and rear strut spacers if you wanna go down that route.

Spacers can always be added on after with the exception of the front. But keep in mind that the rear spring spacers are a big no no.

Also going back a few pages richys usage is a little more extreme than the normal average cx3 user or overlander so it depends what youre looking to do.

My recommendation as a random half asleep internet dude is just go with the springs as a starting point and then see how you wanna progress from there if you want to space the struts after. Good luck

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
Sort of yes and no? Lol its a little complex since itl be a preference thing really. Cx3 suspension hits hard in general regardless of mods, impact is reduced a bit going from 18 to 16" wheels since bigger sidewall cushions it a bit more, but having only installed the springs I dont see much difference in comfort from stock height and here in my usage.

Im not a fan of the spacers personally given that its basically rubbery material being slammed the weight of the car on and given the negligence of the rear spring spacer setup and that the vendor still sells it is just a bad day waiting to happen. Dunno on the longevity of the spacers either but a good starting point seems to be the spring set and rear strut spacers if you wanna go down that route.

Spacers can always be added on after with the exception of the front. But keep in mind that the rear spring spacers are a big no no.

Also going back a few pages richys usage is a little more extreme than the normal average cx3 user or overlander so it depends what youre looking to do.

My recommendation as a random half asleep internet dude is just go with the springs as a starting point and then see how you wanna progress from there if you want to space the struts after. Good luck
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I'll start with the springs and go from there. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
123 Posts
IMO, I think the rod extenders or modified hats should go hand in hand with the springs. You lose almost all the down travel with the Tanabe springs. Those mods are cheap and easy to install if you already have disassembled everything. Even with those mods, I keep topping out after going over bumps. The risk of damage is minimal unless the wheels will spend a great deal in the air.

If I could do it all over again, I woul use Tanabe springs for the rear only with the shock extenders, and spacers in the front with OEM springs. That way the suspension remains in harmony by keeping the front simple, with the same geometry, and neutral strut balance.

·
Registered
2016 Touring AWD
7 Posts
IMO, I think the rod extenders or modified hats should go hand in hand with the springs. You lose almost all the down travel with the Tanabe springs. Those mods are cheap and easy to install if you already have disassembled everything. Even with those mods, I keep topping out after going over bumps. The risk of damage is minimal unless the wheels will spend a great deal in the air.

If I could do it all over again, I woul use Tanabe springs for the rear only with the shock extenders, and spacers in the front with OEM springs. That way the suspension remains in harmony by keeping the front simple, with the same geometry, and neutral strut balance.
Ah okay makes sense.

So looking like getting:
And the spring kit (keeping the front coils off)

·
Registered
123 Posts
So of you sold their cx-3 for a cx-30? I came across this cx-30 post and the OP mentions to have had a lifted cx-3 that rode like crap after lifting it.

161 - 170 of 170 Posts