Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
One month update post spring install
Figured I would give a little more update on this for those wondering longterm-ish. Ive gotten entirely used to these springs now to the point they drive like oem and have cleared curbs when pulling in to park which is probably the biggest benefit. They have settled about just under 1/4inch less than first install which is expected since the first install measurements were raw right after install without proper alignment. TPMS (for those without the sensors in the wheel itself) has never gone off AFTER doing the alignment so that is functioning as expected. I have driven it hard with fast accelerations and turns and everything has functioned as expected.

The only thing which spooked me a bit was driving in the middle of a crazy windstorm on the highway. Then again I havent been in one in such a long time so not sure how it would differ from oem but you feel like its easier to get blown around. This is probably a placebo effect as hurricane winds on the highway are rare for me to drive through in general. Many a tree and roofs were blown off during this storm so its a special case.

Under normal circumstances and even with wind gusts its the same as before on the highway. Because of our abnormally stiff shocks/struts in general suspension travel is basically the same and no additional bounce/dampening issues.

Zoom Zoom~

·
Registered
112 Posts
One month update post spring install
Figured I would give a little more update on this for those wondering longterm-ish. Ive gotten entirely used to these springs now to the point they drive like oem and have cleared curbs when pulling in to park which is probably the biggest benefit. They have settled about just under 1/4inch less than first install which is expected since the first install measurements were raw right after install without proper alignment. TPMS (for those without the sensors in the wheel itself) has never gone off AFTER doing the alignment so that is functioning as expected. I have driven it hard with fast accelerations and turns and everything has functioned as expected.

The only thing which spooked me a bit was driving in the middle of a crazy windstorm on the highway. Then again I havent been in one in such a long time so not sure how it would differ from oem but you feel like its easier to get blown around. This is probably a placebo effect as hurricane winds on the highway are rare for me to drive through in general. Many a tree and roofs were blown off during this storm so its a special case.

Under normal circumstances and even with wind gusts its the same as before on the highway. Because of our abnormally stiff shocks/struts in general suspension travel is basically the same and no additional bounce/dampening issues.

Zoom Zoom~
Springs will be here tomorrow. Install happening over the weekend. How are yours holding up? I saw you sold Richie your wheels.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Great actually I didn't realize how much more comfortable regular street tires were since I got used to harsh ko2s. Regardless would not go back to oem stock height if given option (also because idk how id remove rear spring without dismantling entire torsion beam from the body and all surrounding parts).

Rich should be getting springs installed too if he hasn't already. I Believe he's having a shop install it along with some other stuff which makes life easier and doesnt risk certain death. If you do it yourself, then its going to take some ingenious/unsafe mechanics to get the rear on. Pm me if you require a description of how i got the rear in because i dont want to post it here incase others try it and die lol.

Ill do a other height meaasurement when i get home since out with another car to see how much has changed from the last measurement I did here

EDIT: measurements in line with previous update. Hard to pinpoint exact since on uneven surface and was easier to gauge the horizontal measuring point on the ko2s but with my new cooper tires its about the same. It does not seem to have settled any further

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great actually I didn't realize how much more comfortable regular street tires were since I got used to harsh ko2s. Regardless would not go back to oem stock height if given option (also because idk how id remove rear spring without dismantling entire torsion beam from the body and all surrounding parts).

Rich should be getting springs installed too if he hasn't already. I Believe he's having a shop install it along with some other stuff which makes life easier and doesnt risk certain death. If you do it yourself, then its going to take some ingenious/unsafe mechanics to get the rear on. Pm me if you require a description of how i got the rear in because i dont want to post it here incase others try it and die lol.

Ill do a other height meaasurement when i get home since out with another car to see how much has changed from the last measurement I did here

EDIT: measurements in line with previous update. Hard to pinpoint exact since on uneven surface and was easier to gauge the horizontal measuring point on the ko2s but with my new cooper tires its about the same. It does not seem to have settled any further
He just got his a few days ago, said he's gonna try to get them on over the weekend (he's in the FB group). He's gonna have a shop do it, I'm gonna DIY (starting with the back just in case I run into trouble). Got my tools laid out and my single-sided compressor should be here Friday to make the rears go in. Should be fun. I can't find the link but it looks like some VW owners run into the same problem with a torsion beam setup so they use this kind of compressor.

EDIT - Volkswagen Passat B6 - Rear Coil Spring Compression

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Damn it really do be like that sometimes,

I have no doubt that the one sided compressors would work under normal circumstances but I was fearful about the added strain by needing to overcompress the lifted springs to fit (for the rear anyway). Just a heads up,I can guarantee the front will be a different issue all together but its more manageable than the rear. I had to use 4 of the regular macpherson strut compressors on the spring to get it down enough to thread on the top bolt. I would not recommend using the usual 2 set or the single side compressors on this. Even then it damaged 3 of the 4 compressor threading just due to the force the spring is pushing back upwards. Advanced auto parts had free rentals which was a nice thing to learn about that day and it ended up being alright in the end.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Damn it really do be like that sometimes,

I have no doubt that the one sided compressors would work under normal circumstances but I was fearful about the added strain by needing to overcompress the lifted springs to fit (for the rear anyway). Just a heads up,I can guarantee the front will be a different issue all together but its more manageable than the rear. I had to use 4 of the regular macpherson strut compressors on the spring to get it down enough to thread on the top bolt. I would not recommend using the usual 2 set or the single side compressors on this. Even then it damaged 3 of the 4 compressor threading just due to the force the spring is pushing back upwards. Advanced auto parts had free rentals which was a nice thing to learn about that day and it ended up being alright in the end.
Dude you had me worried! This compressor is a beast. I was able to do fronts and rears using it, no problems (except had to re-squish a rear to reposition it... Didn't account for the fact that I'd have to rotate it into position). I had rented two sets of compressors from Autozone and ended up not using them. Had the whole thing done in about three hours. Before:

After:

Positively terrifying time bomb, just for fun... It's not bowing on the left there, the bracket is angled to seat nicely on the spring.

I'm sure it needs an alignment but the ride is freakin' superb. The biggest headache was trying to undo the nut on the front strut... I don't own any offset box wrenches, but I made do with a 12 point.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Good to hear it all worked out! I saw too many instances of those side clamps snapping in amazon reviews which instantly made me doubt them working at all but Ill keep that in mind if I ever decide to return to oem height.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am finally joined the lift club! I took the car to a shop in Tijuana, Mexico. Installation was a breeze to them. I drove the car for a few miles withe everything loose to let the springs settle and then I came back for an alignment.
The springs a lot softer than OEM. I like how it feels on the road. A lot smoother over the little bumps. I can feel that it is underdamped thought, I hit the bumpstop on my way back home over when I went over some bumps. I am going to have to drive slow over the large bumps as I don't want to bust a shock. I am happy with the results though. I like the lift. It is exactly the amount I needed to not run the front bumper, and it remains stable in the city and in the freeway.
But the best part of all is the looks IMO. I like how SlyCooper's tires match the new wheels, and the aggressive thread matches the lift.
IMG_20200530_113050.jpg
IMG_20200530_095703.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude you had me worried! This compressor is a beast. I was able to do fronts and rears using it, no problems (except had to re-squish a rear to reposition it... Didn't account for the fact that I'd have to rotate it into position). I had rented two sets of compressors from Autozone and ended up not using them. Had the whole thing done in about three hours. Before: View attachment 23419
View attachment 23420
After:
View attachment 23421
View attachment 23422
Positively terrifying time bomb, just for fun... It's not bowing on the left there, the bracket is angled to seat nicely on the spring.
View attachment 23423

I'm sure it needs an alignment but the ride is freakin' superb. The biggest headache was trying to undo the nut on the front strut... I don't own any offset box wrenches, but I made do with a 12 point.
Dude you had me worried! This compressor is a beast. I was able to do fronts and rears using it, no problems (except had to re-squish a rear to reposition it... Didn't account for the fact that I'd have to rotate it into position). I had rented two sets of compressors from Autozone and ended up not using them. Had the whole thing done in about three hours. Before: View attachment 23419
View attachment 23420
After:
View attachment 23421
View attachment 23422
View attachment 23423

Where can i get these springs Canadian side? ive been searching for my 2017 but no luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Where can i get these springs Canadian side? ive been searching for my 2017 but no luck.
They have to be imported from japan last i checked. Ebay is probably the best route since a little more protection than random translated sites which are local region only. Currency difference through ebay was only like$40 ish more with shipping iirc.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

This is one of the listings i posted a few pages back. Check around for similar listings for specific height requirements if needed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

Is it possible someone to give me this date for stock springs?

p.s
Im at a lockdown offshore.. but want to order

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
This is the first im seeing this for the cx-3 which makes me think its a universal gap filler/spacer. I dont have any info on these except alot of wisdom on the iinternet across different brands and makes say to not use spring fillers for height.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is the first im seeing this for the cx-3 which makes me think its a universal gap filler/spacer. I dont have any info on these except alot of wisdom on the iinternet across different brands and makes say to not use spring fillers for height.
Universal...Lift and harden... from feedback of over 400, all are satisfied

None modifications of OEM are advised... however the stock springs are too soft and car feel unstable if pass a bump around 90km/h...

P.s

Hope someone can give the gap and wide measurements with car at flat surface. I'll be locked offshore for a month more, just enough for these to arrive from PRC

·
Registered
2 Posts

This is one of the listings i posted a few pages back. Check around for similar listings for specific height requirements if needed.
I was following and reading your thread from a while back and am about to take on this endeavor this weekend, I plan on using regular macpherson coil compressors. I will also be installing new rims and tires. Variant Xenon brushed bronze 19"x11" 0 offset, tires are Yokohama Advan Sport A/S 285/35 R19. Bought a tire/wheel fitment tool specifically for this purpose. I am hoping that everything will go smoothly and will post pictures once completed. Wish me luck and if you have pointers don't hesitate to let me know.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I was following and reading your thread from a while back and am about to take on this endeavor this weekend, I plan on using regular macpherson coil compressors. I will also be installing new rims and tires. Variant Xenon brushed bronze 19"x11" 0 offset, tires are Yokohama Advan Sport A/S 285/35 R19. Bought a tire/wheel fitment tool specifically for this purpose. I am hoping that everything will go smoothly and will post pictures once completed. Wish me luck and if you have pointers don't hesitate to let me know.
Best of luck. Pb blaster the rusty bolts on the upper rear shock mounts days before. Start with the rear. As a remimder- rear must be dropped evenly so the entire rear must be lifted on stands prior to working on any side. Removal of stock spring is easy but the installing the new one isnt. That will be the biggest struggle with the regular macphersons. Tbh idk how plausible it is to install the rear with it in general. Youll only be able to fit one compressor and my bootleg hack of wrapping mummifying it in industrial towstraps to keep it compressed on the non clamped side was borderline reducing my life expectancy. Webdevdan had better luck with his 2 in 1 style compressor so that might be a alternate route. But if you can overcome that issue its smooth sailing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have lifted up my CX-3 and had very little trouble with the rear. Actually is was pretty easy and i used the macpherson compressor upside down as shown in the picutres. I had a really difficult time trying to remove the nut with the 5 allen key to hold the bolt steady. I tried to remove it on the right side but it was so rusted that it got stuck. So i had to remove the coil with the sensor arm still attached which turned out to be quite a pain in the ass but finally i got both sides done. It's lifted and my new wheels and tires installed.....oh it feels great to a few inches up. Will get an alignment soon and get that nut tightened again for the right sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I have lifted up my CX-3 and had very little trouble with the rear. Actually is was pretty easy and i used the macpherson compressor upside down as shown in the picutres. I had a really difficult time trying to remove the nut with the 5 allen key to hold the bolt steady. I tried to remove it on the right side but it was so rusted that it got stuck. So i had to remove the coil with the sensor arm still attached which turned out to be quite a pain in the ass but finally i got both sides done. It's lifted and my new wheels and tires installed.....oh it feels great to a few inches up. Will get an alignment soon and get that nut tightened again for the right sensor.
Im starting to think my compressors are alot larger than normal because it would not fit in that position because the threaded rod extended even further. This would explain the hard time I had and why everyone else seems to have it easier lol. Looks nice though congrats!

101 - 118 of 118 Posts