Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Eibach's lowering spring kit is the same p/n for all models (1.5-2.0, AWD or FWD). Just did some bouncing around on Google, but on a UK parts site I ended up down a rabbit hole and found that, then ended up checking it out right on Eibach's site. So yeah. They'll all fit, just with different results.

Edit: On Tanabe's site it indicated the FWD springs will only fit the 1.5 models but the user I originally quoted has a 2.0. So... The springs and setup are all compatible just with different rates and lengths.

Btw I have a message in to the shop that installed the springs asking if they did it with a compressor or dropped the whole torsion beam.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thats good news although I dont see why mazda didnt just use the same spring rate for both but who knows they might as well have been recycling mazda 2 parts at this point. Either way Im glad we are making some progress on this front and getting closer to a definite answer and soon to be install.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
To reaffirm something that was already mentioned, I received email confirmations from both a local mazda dealer tech I met a while back and also corksport support that the only difference between awd and fwd is spring rate because awd is a little bit heavier due to extra 'junk below the trunk'. (Still no word on whether diesel variation has same parts though since cant really ask anyone in the US about it)

I also was pricing the tanabe springs and with currency conversion + the cheapest shipping they have it will come to around $500ish to ship to the US, Google gave me a mini heart attack when it returned currency conversion for chinese yuan instead of japanese yen since apparently they have the same symbol and under chinese figures it was about $4k+ lol. I also found that ebay has these springs by the same seller of the blackhawkjapan site without the extra steps of needing to make an account on their main site and give them your payment info and possibly pay a conversion fee also. Was maybe $10-20 more on ebay which to me sort of is worth the price of added 'protections' ebay provides as opposed to giving your information to an unknown vendor.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
More spring pictures found:

This one is probably the best in my opinion since it has a shot of installed especially the rear which is most important and does not flex as bad as I thought it would. This is good news and am now wondering how these guys managed to do such a feat haha.
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/788018/blog/42005256/

(more install shots)
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/450793/car/2500458/4750228/note.aspx

Side note: Probably going to be ordering around late november and shooting for the 40-45mm lift set with awd spring rate
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANABE-SUSTEC-UP210-SPRINGS-For-MAZDA-CX-3-DK5AW-DK5AWUK/192886205230?hash=item2ce8e9eb2e:g:0x0AAOSwikNcrdkC

·
Registered
112 Posts

This one is probably the best in my opinion since it has a shot of installed especially the rear which is most important and does not flex as bad as I thought it would. This is good news and am now wondering how these guys managed to do such a feat haha.

(more install shots)

Side note: Probably going to be ordering around late november and shooting for the 40-45mm lift set with awd spring rate
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANABE-SUSTEC-UP210-SPRINGS-For-MAZDA-CX-3-DK5AW-DK5AWUK/192886205230?hash=item2ce8e9eb2e:g:0x0AAOSwikNcrdkC
You're my hero

·
Registered
91 Posts

(more install shots)

Are you pairing the new springs with new struts or will be keeping the same OEM struts?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Are you pairing the new springs with new struts or will be keeping the same OEM struts?
Probably going to keep the oem shock/struts for now and see how much it differs. The rear shocks I can support with the spacers I originally bought which will work perfectly for this application if need be. The front will be curious, Im going to try the springs in the front and see how the strut responds, our cx-3 is a little too rough so a little more softness is welcomed imo. This also brings the possibility to use the front lift spacers also originally purchased since it does infact raise the front 35-40ish (dont remember the size I bought lol) mm.

Then again the issue still remains how to compress and install the rear springs but I can at least confirm its safer than trying to rig up rear spring spacers that originally failed haha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Then again the issue still remains how to compress and install the rear springs but I can at least confirm its safer than trying to rig up rear spring spacers that originally failed haha.
I still feel like one of those single sided compressors should work... you should be able to squish 'em down darn near to full compression without starting at the very ends, right?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
I still feel like one of those single sided compressors should work... you should be able to squish 'em down darn near to full compression without starting at the very ends, right?
Thats where it gets a little unique, when I was installing the spacers on the springs initially I needed to compress the entire spring about almost 2 full inches to fit and slide the spacer on and doing that on one side was dangerous/risky of it slipping and doing it on both sides would not fit. Because thats not happening here since the spring is roughly the same length but a bit longer (going off of the comparison pics in the links before) It will be more accomodating than compressing the oem to unrealistic limits for a spacer to slide on and plug in. Im going to try all of the creative ways I got the oem spring to compress prior and since that much compression will not be needed here it will most likely work. Worst case, I take it to a shop but at least I have seen proof that they do at east fit and are installable (although the pics were on the diesel variant, its good enough for now haha) as opposed to the spacers which were a trial and error type deal.

Edit:
Just realized you were probably referring to the compressors which do both sides of a spring but from one side as opposed to individual macpherson spring compressors for each end lol. I will see how things go and will probably try one of those if there isnt too much compression needed. I dont feel like those one side full spring compressors are safe but im biased towards the individual side compressors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just realized you were probably referring to the compressors which do both sides of a spring but from one side as opposed to individual macpherson spring compressors for each end lol. I will see how things go and will probably try one of those if there isnt too much compression needed. I dont feel like those one side full spring compressors are safe but im biased towards the individual side compressors.

Yeah, the clamshell style ones like that $700 one I linked (with the super-safety pins) or the not-so-$700 one that still has a real nice lip on it. If anything I'd think those ones are safer just 'cuz they squish the whole ring of the coil at once instead of being clamped on a tiny area.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Yeah, the clamshell style ones like that $700 one I linked (with the super-safety pins) or the not-so-$700 one that still has a real nice lip on it. If anything I'd think those ones are safer just 'cuz they squish the whole ring of the coil at once instead of being clamped on a tiny area.
Yea I looked those up and kept seeing the occasional review and pictures of them breaking which was enough for me to stay away. At least with the old fashioned side ones theres a thicker head piece which attaches and if one breaks at least the other one is there to catch it even if momentarily. Granted the quality and build materials of the tools are a major factor but with everything looking interchangable nowadays I wouldnt be surprised if like 80% of them come from the same chinese factory with a different label brand stamped on the package afterwards.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yea I looked those up and kept seeing the occasional review and pictures of them breaking which was enough for me to stay away. At least with the old fashioned side ones theres a thicker head piece which attaches and if one breaks at least the other one is there to catch it even if momentarily. Granted the quality and build materials of the tools are a major factor but with everything looking interchangable nowadays I wouldnt be surprised if like 80% of them come from the same chinese factory with a different label brand stamped on the package afterwards.
This is the one I was thinking of... looks beefy and has awesome reviews. With the funky geometry under there it also looks like it'd fit really well. https://www.eastwood.com/fairmount-tools-interchangeable-macpherson-strut-compressor.html

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Looks like the date has been expedited. Its arriving monday now which was a shock considering things from ebay take a month+ but at least I believe the arrival date now considering its already in the states today and just has to come to the otherside

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Its finally here! (and apparently fragile?? lol)

What you see is what you get in the packaging, 4 springs, japanese brochure, cheesy decal sticker and nothing relating to anything installation-wise so thats up to you to do which is not a problem after suffering with the spacer attempts prior. Hopefully will find time to install it before the end of the week but if not it will definitely be done by sunday or at least attempted haha. Gonna try to do the rears first since why waste time like the previous attempt and hopefully we can find a way to get the springs on without interference.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Its finally here! (and apparently fragile?? lol)

What you see is what you get in the packaging, 4 springs, japanese brochure, cheesy decal sticker and nothing relating to anything installation-wise so thats up to you to do which is not a problem after suffering with the spacer attempts prior. Hopefully will find time to install it before the end of the week but if not it will definitely be done by sunday or at least attempted haha. Gonna try to do the rears first since why waste time like the previous attempt and hopefully we can find a way to get the springs on without interference.
I swear, I'm psychic. Literally came here to see if you'd posted an update and there it was, "less than 10 seconds ago." Can't wait to see the results!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
oh laawwwdd we have lift off. This is just one side on the rear, heres hoping nothing goes wrong doing the other side haha. But at least we know that IT WORKS!

Also I had to do some very dangerous things involving tow straps and the individual side compressors to get this on. If you can get ahold of the compressor mentioned above it will most likely make life much easier.

Edit: The flex issue I was concerned of it not a problem here. Since once the weight is put on the springs it evens out.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 118 Posts