• AWD

Votes: 85 70.8%
  • FWD

Votes: 35 29.2%
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I wanted FWD, I'd have gone with the 3 or the 6. Probably the 6, actually. I had a 2007 3 GT previously and found it to be a really terrible winter car for here in Milwaukee. When I bought my CX-3, they're were actually selling the 6's for cheaper than the 3's because they had a lot of them on the lot and they were trying to make room for more CX-3's that were just starting to come in. Around here, the 3 is in high enough demand that they would rather drop the prices on the 6's to move them rather than the 3's. There are some days where I wish I'd have gotten the 6 instead of the CX-3. I've always been partial to the 6, having previously owned two of them in the original body style hatchbacks and both of those gave me no troubles in the winter. I was looking for something smaller than the 6 this time, though, and my bad experience with the small FWD Mazda 3 put me off trying it again. So it was the CX-3 for me, but the AWD was the must-have feature. Without it, the CX-3 has no other advantages over the 3 other than better appearance (IMHO).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting reading the opinions here and seeing the poll 70% in favor of AWD. And I had no idea it was a $1200+ option.

I live in southern Arizona where at 4200' elevation I've seen a dusting of snow 3-4 times in the 12 years I've lived here. So had I bought new I would have gone for FWD. But I bought my 2016 Touring AWD on 9/1/17, a 1 owner car w/18.8k miles. From the Carfax report I could see it was bought in Kansas in Oct. 2016, and traded in at a Tucson Honda dealer in July 2017. That poor guy sure took a hit, I paid $17,500 for it, after serious tough negotiating, the original owner must have paid at least $27k for it with AWD. I'm happy to let folks richer than I take that big new car depreciation.

I'm happy with the AWD. I checked kbb.com before buying and the AWD only seems 1-2 mpg lower than FWD, and I've averaging 35.5 so far. While we don't get much snow here were do get serious rain in July & August and with mountain runoff and desert soil not well suited for soaking up water quickly we get running water across even well traveled roads. So I might get some use for the AWD, I'm not much for off roading.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We just bought a new 2017 AWD Touring. It's for my daughter who is a "nervous Nellie" driver so the AWD will help increase her confidence in rain and snow. I may go ahead and get her some winters on a second set of wheels just to give her the best possible advantage. Priced at Tire Rack yesterday, 16" Blizzaks on steel wheels are $677+shipping (~$100)+tax (if you live in one of their distribution states).

If it keeps her out of trouble, the $1250 cost plus a couple of mpgs is peanuts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in Canada and our winters seem to last 9-10 months of the year. So AWD is no question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the cx3 for the AWD.

If I didn't want AWD I would have bought a GTI!
The Golf R is available in an AWD but be prepared to pay $40K+ for this beast.

I live in Canada and our winters seem to last 9-10 months of the year. So AWD is no question.
Here here!

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are currently getting our first major snowfall of the season (4-6" is forecast). It's Miss Peanut's first time in snow, and I had a grand old time hooning all the way home (safely) with AWD and Blizzaks on a bunch of uncleared/unsalted roads. This is my first AWD car, and I am blown away by the performance in poor driving conditions.

Oh, momma. :cool:

·
Registered
747 Posts
We are currently getting our first major snowfall of the season (4-6" is forecast). It's Miss Peanut's first time in snow, and I had a grand old time hooning all the way home (safely) with AWD and Blizzaks on a bunch of uncleared/unsalted roads. This is my first AWD car, and I am blown away by the performance in poor driving conditions.

Oh, momma. :cool:
Miss Peanut, hooning, and a Canadian who sez Oh Momma ... I'm confused.

But I'm totally with you on AWD and the Blizzaks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
You don't know what hooning means?
Imma have to ask you to hand in your man card, son. ;)
Embarassed to say I had to google hooning ... sorta' extreme Zoom-Zooming!
But for me, spooning first came to mind ... no doubt due to a gap of several generations. :|

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I bought separate rims, yes. Black steelies.
I was shocked to see that 16x6.5 steelies weigh 25 lbs each :eek:
That's crazy town!

When I get around to putting snows on my CX-3, I'm going to pay the extra US$20/corner and get something like the Sport Edition P4 (17 lbs each).

·
Registered
747 Posts
I bought separate rims, yes. Black steelies.
None of this fragile aluminium stuff ... steel = winter scars, paint 'em and you're good to go!

No need to be afraid of concrete kerbs ... attack! (Carefully, because we don't have much front clearance)

·
Registered
62 Posts
None of this fragile aluminium stuff ... steel = winter scars, paint 'em and you're good to go!

No need to be afraid of concrete kerbs ... attack! (Carefully, because we don't have much front clearance)
I've had some fun discussions with many people about alloys vs butch steelies for winter tires. I like steel wheels for their pricing and purpose-built look. Winter is messy, and Miss Peanut isn't a fancy ride. However, if my DD was a Benz C63, I would likely look at pretty winter alloys more closely. Maybe.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

If you hit a curb with enough force to damage an Al alloy wheel, you're going to have bigger problems to deal with than a borked wheel (tie rods, ball joints, subframes, control arms, body, hubs...). Odds are the same impact with a steel wheel will be harder on the car because of all the energy that won't be dissipated in the destruction of the aluminum wheel will be transferred to the rest of the car.

People think that engineered failure points are awful but they really are the most awesome thing ever. Think of all of the times peoples' houses haven't burned down because a fuse blew or breaker tripped.

I'd rather have the better acceleration, braking, handling, comfort and fuel economy that come with eliminating 24 lbs of unsprung weight. Especially given that (IMO) Mazda didn't do a very good job with the high-speed damping in our struts.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Agreed on major contusions ... but everyday curb scrapes, winter rash, etc., in my experience, steel is more amenable to sand, prime, spray black ... and put 'er back on the road.
But with all the hooning Brigitte does, a warning may be in order. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I hit a curb, regardless of wheel type, I have bigger issues than unsprung weight. Hitting curbs is for the young and inexperienced (or the old and half-blind who shouldn't be driving in the first place). ;-)

·
Registered
747 Posts
If I hit a curb, regardless of wheel type, I have bigger issues than unsprung weight. Hitting curbs is for the young and inexperienced (or the old and half-blind who shouldn't be driving in the first place). ;-)
Oooo, the parenthetical ... old and half blind, doesn't the accumulated experience count for something ... at least for the non-hooning? OTOH, less than one hour after delivery I managed to impose a small (objectively small, psychologically huge) scrape on one of my 18" rads. From my perspective, steelies are simply more practical than mags.

Back on topic ... I do recall a youtube clip demonstrating winter tires are far more effective than AWD at maintaining traction on wintery surfaces.

EDIT: As previously mentioned, YouTube _awd vs. winter tires_

81 - 100 of 108 Posts