Votes: 85 70.8%
  • FWD

Votes: 35 29.2%
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Stupid question....
Although I live in an extremely snowy area, I have never put snow tires on. I don't think anyone around here does.
How would you even do that? I mean, carting around 4 tires twice a year can't be easy. And I am not about to do it myself with a jack.
Not sure what you are asking but an AWD with winter tyres steps up to another level - in combination, they are astonishing.

Nobody is even asking you to do it let alone forcing you. It's up to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Stupid question....
Although I live in an extremely snowy area, I have never put snow tires on. I don't think anyone around here does.
How would you even do that? I mean, carting around 4 tires twice a year can't be easy. And I am not about to do it myself with a jack.
Not sure what you mean by "carting them around"? Most people with winter tires put them on when the first snow hits and then take them off at the end of winter. With a floor jack and an impact wrench, you can change 4 wheels/tires in <10mins easily.

And yes snow tires make a huge difference, even arguably more than awd vs fwd. I think C&D did a test a few years ago where they tested rwd/fwd/awd in the snow with and without snow tires. The snow tire equipped cars did WAYYY better in the white stuff.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "carting them around"? Most people with winter tires put them on when the first snow hits and then take them off at the end of winter. With a floor jack and an impact wrench, you can change 4 wheels/tires in <10mins easily.

And yes snow tires make a huge difference, even arguably more than awd vs fwd. I think C&D did a test a few years ago where they tested rwd/fwd/awd in the snow with and without snow tires. The snow tire equipped cars did WAYYY better in the white stuff.
I presumed I would take them somewhere to be changed, but you are saying you have a floor jack and impact wrench to change them yourself. Is that correct>

·
Registered
87 Posts
I presumed I would take them somewhere to be changed, but you are saying you have a floor jack and impact wrench to change them yourself. Is that correct>
Yup. I dont even have winter tires...for my previous cars I had "summer tires" for Spring/Summer/Fall and then "all season tires" for winters. We dont get much snow in GA, but summer tires dont grip well in near freezing temps.

I only have 1 set of wheels/tires for the CX3 - so far :D

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
If this doesn't sell your Winter Wheels nothing will, I expect you've just put the price up!!
Haha, I'll hold the price just for you!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have not taken my car off road yet, but I have noticed a HUGE difference in handling in the Houston traffic and this insane rain we have been getting lately. I have hit extremely deep water and had NO hydroplaning at all. I had a 2012 Mazda 3 before the CX 3 and it would hydroplane on the highway in semi deep water. My husband said he noticed a huge difference in handling with the rain in the new car and also thinks it was well worth it. Houston traffic is not fun to say the least and adding the weather we have had on top of that makes me even happier I went with AWD.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had good luck with both of my FWD Mazda 6's ('04 and '05, both with 3.0L V6 engines) in Wisconsin winters with just a set of good all-season tires. My friend's 2005 Mazda 6 with the 2.3L engine he said was terrible in the snow. I kept expecting same results on my V6 powered 6's after he told me that, but they both did okay with very few problems encountered even on long commutes to work up and down I-43 between Milwaukee and Sheboygan one winter. My wife had good luck last winter in her FWD CX-5, but our winter wasn't too bad here last year. I had a terrible experience with my FWD Mazda 3 (2.3L engine), similar to what my friend reported with his '05 Mazda 6. Another friend with an '07 Speed 3 had terrible results in the winter, even with Blizzaks on it.

So, what I take from all that is that lightweight Mazdas, or at least Mazdas without much weight on the front wheels, in a FWD config are hit or miss in terms of being good winter cars here in Wisconsin. I decided not to take the chance and went for AWD on my CX-3.

I just, in general, dislike the driving dynamics in most FWD cars I've driven. Understeers too much and plows in turns in the snow. RWD offers easier ability to get throttle oversteer when you want it, plows less in turns. AWD gets me a good balance of the benefits of both and I'm willing to pay a little hit in fuel economy for it. For me, the biggest disadvantages of AWD are repair costs in the event of an accident and tire replacement can be expensive when you only need 1 or 2 tires, but have to buy a whole set of 4 because of how AWD differentials work.

Edit: If I was considering a FWD CX-3, I'd probably go with Mazda 3 instead. It's cheaper, has more room, has a more powerful engine, gets better fuel econ, and has independent rear suspension. I definitely like the look of the CX-3 more than the 3 hatch if the hatch is a must-have feature (for me, it was), which may factor into the decision, too, I suppose. I'm gun-shy when it comes to winter performance on the 3 after experience with the older Mazda 3's which was a big strike against for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ground clearance

I live in the south of Norway, and the winther is about a month. A six month winter is a bit overkill :) seriosely?

Anyway. Nobody is talks about ground clearance. Normal sedans with AWD dont have any real ground clearance to get you through a small snowbump or snowy road. You probably be stuck anyway.

The CX-3 has just those few inches extra compared to the Mazda 2 or similar cars. I think the CX-3 ground clearance paired with decent snow tyres will be just enough to get me through my winther. So for me the FWD.

The AWD is probably better in some areas. But the AWD is more expensive, slower, more complex, higher incurance cost, heavier, drinks more fuel with a smaller gas tank and higher service cost du to the AWD-system. I didnt know about the gastank, but somebody in the tread sayd so.

By all means do what you want, u already have bought a Mazda, which is smart enough :D

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
For me living in Chicago (not a huge amount of snow, mostly flat roads, decent plow service), AWD is nice to have but it's not important enough to pay more for. I mean, I ended up getting it anyway but that was more luck than anything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with RAMPANT on this one. I also live in Edmonton, where we typically have snow from November until March or April. Shortly after I received my CX3 I purchased 4 Nokian snow tires on rims. I have the same type of snow tire for my Mazda3, so knew what I was buying. The combination of AWD and those tires is virtually unbeatable. The City generally does a miserable job of cleaning snow from the roads, so AWD was a priority for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife insisted on AWD and wouldn't entertain the thought of FWD. She's relatively inexperienced in snow and really felt secure in her previous AWD vehicle (2001 Ford Escape XLT). Also, we live in Nebraska and if the weatherman predicts "a little snow" that typically ends up as 6"+. We live on a hill - even my driveway has a bit of a slope. And our streets are invariably plowed last.

Almost sounds like my Grandfather talking: "We had to walk to school, and it was uphill both ways!". But anyways, the AWD and quality snow tires are worth the price. Now as for my 2006 FWD Honda Odyssey, THERE'S a thrill ride!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sun roof, yes something I could live without but usually something you have to pay for to get anything above a base car.
Does the GT come with a sunroof, moonroof or neither (i.e. is something you have to ask for?) I haven't test drove one yet but I'm doing my research...

One other advantage of base GX and GS is to get 16" rather than 18" wheels. The car is already firm riding and 16" would help the ride (and replacement cost).
Larger wheels seem to be more about style than of any real handling advantage. With the GT get 16" wheels for your snow tires (for those that actually get a winter).
Can you explain this a bit more please? I'm a bit of a CX-3 newbie...doesn't the Touring and GT come with 18" wheels? Is that not better?

·
Registered
871 Posts
The GT comes with a sunroof standard in the US. 2016 Touring models come with 16" wheels, GT come with 18" wheels. Both trims come with 18" wheels on 2017 models.

I'm driving a loaner Touring now with 16" wheels and can't tell much of, if any, a difference in ride quality over the 18" wheels.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Does the GT come with a sunroof, moonroof or neither (i.e. is something you have to ask for?) I haven't test drove one yet but I'm doing my research...

Can you explain this a bit more please? I'm a bit of a CX-3 newbie...doesn't the Touring and GT come with 18" wheels? Is that not better?
I have both. The 16" tires are winter tires which are installed for traditional winter driving and the 18" are the stock all season tires. To be honest, I can't really tell much difference between the two in my day-to-day driving. The 16" tires are supposed to ride a bit softer since they have more of the "balloon" effect and ride on more air. The 18" tires have stiffer sidewalls and give more feedback of road surface conditions to the driver. They also are supposed to be easier to control and thus are more of a "driver's" tire.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GT 18" wheels

In theory helps handling but most people would not notice a difference.
They do look better but are more expensive to replace and the wheels and tires more susceptible to damage.
The ride can be a little harsher but not bad. I run 16" snow tires in the winter on steel wheels (less salt corrosion, slow leak issues than alloys I hope)
Had they offered the GS AWD with the tech package I might have gone that route.
I also have an older (Mazda based ) Ford Fusion Sport AWD that came with 18s.
On the Fusion I run 16" wheels and snow tires in the winter and notice a much better ride with the 16" on that car at least over the 18s. Handling is fine regardless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whats everybody using for rims in winter on the GT ? Dealer told me they sell winter tire packages using same size rim as the 16" GX/GS and tire size , Giving same circumference as the 18" on the GT . Im in Canada , so likely be using Kal tire or Costco

61 - 80 of 108 Posts