• AWD

Votes: 82 71.3%
  • FWD

Votes: 33 28.7%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
AWD despite the additional 170 lbs of weight and slight hits in MPG and responsiveness (as discussed by multiple reviews so far). The predictive AWD is said to assist in cornering and stability in addition to off-road and adverse weather duties. Now, is it worth the additional $1250 USD?

·
Registered
277 Posts
You prefer AWD or FWD with CX-3?

Depends on where you are located, doesn't it? Here, there is a limited number of days with ice/snow. I'll save my money and get better performance without it.
This is why I am also considering the 3. Sticking to the plains, If living in Kansas or Nebraska, I would probably want it. North of there, I would gladly fork over the extra 1250.

I would like to see some comprehensive road tests of the fwd HRV and CX-3, so we could better judge the merits of awd vs fwd versions. All I'm seeing are tests where they are equipped with AWD.
Anybody see any detailed evaluations of the fwd models (with time to speed charts) on these?
I know the AWD CX-3 is slower than the 3, wondering if the fwd version is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This might help:
Do You Need an All-Wheel-Drive or Four-Wheel-Drive Car? on Edmunds.com

Key takeaways:
"What would perform better in the snow? A front-wheel-drive car with winter tires or an AWD car with all-season tires? Michelin tested this scenario in a study a few years ago. The FWD car with winter tires outperformed the AWD car in nearly every test. "

"Don't Buy a 10 Percent Car
People sometimes buy an AWD or 4WD vehicle for the occasional off-road outing or ski trip, while 90 percent of the time they'll be sitting in traffic or using the vehicle on paved roads. These drivers would be better served by renting a car for their ski trips. This would save them money both on the price of the car plus the lower fuel costs."

The Myth of All-Powerful All-Wheel Drive

All-Wheel Drive: Do You Really Need It?

All Wheel Drive Does Not Make You Safer

Personally, if I still lived up in the DC area or north, or had to deal with mountain roads in the winter, I'd opt for AWD. I'd heavily consider it for the Pacific NW. I live in Georgia, so I would rarely be able to take advantage. AWD and 4WD vehicles here get better resale value, but not for a car like this. If I had a truck or full-sized SUV, I'd get better resale value around here, but not for a CX-3 or HR-V. Drivers of these don't take their cars on muddy paths; they have other vehicles for that.

For the past 20 years I've driven RWD cars, even in torrential downpours and on snow and sometimes ice. FWD will handle even better in those conditions than the RWD that I am used to. I've gotten by just fine w/ RWD, but I DO know how to drive in those conditions (so many people do not, however). So for me personally, AWD doesn't really offer a big enough bonus to justify the initial cost, the higher maintenance and repair costs, and high gas costs/lower mpg.

At least in the part of the country where I live, AWD on a car like the CX-3 or HR-V provides VERY little benefit, and is nothing but a cash cow feature for the car makers. YMMV

·
Registered
190 Posts
I might get AWD to deal better with the winter, but otherwise I would go with the FWD since I am not expecting to do any of roading. And, you get to save some money by going with the FWD.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's a tough call for me being on the edge of the regional snow belt here. A nice set of Blizzaks changed out each year on a FWD could do the trick.

·
Registered
872 Posts
AWD in Seattle is a great option to have. Rain-slicked hills are no fun to navigate with spinning wheels. It's why the PNW is Subaru country. If I lived where it was flat, I'd get FWD with good tires.

·
Registered
240 Posts
being in Alberta I went with the all wheel drive option. I am still deciding on winters as of now, I figure with AWD and some awesome winters I should be set this winter.

Reactions: CXIII

·
Registered
275 Posts
being in Alberta I went with the all wheel drive option. I am still deciding on winters as of now, I figure with AWD and some awesome winters I should be set this winter.
Even with FWD and winters you'd be good, from my experience tires are the most important, but of course combining it with AWD puts you off much better than most.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Weather issues aside I think the question with the predictive AWD is how well it contributes to general driving n the CX-3.

·
Registered
48 Posts
AWD is not a replacement for good snow tires. Anyone who has experienced AWD and good snow tires (in a climate that gets nasty winters, snow and ice) will appreciate that combo. A comparison of a AWD car with all seasons ("all seasons" does not include winter in northern states or Canada) to a FWD car with snow tires makes no sense.
Actually I do not see the point of the CX-3 with only FWD, might as well get a Mazda 3 hatch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Actually I do not see the point of the CX-3 with only FWD, might as well get a Mazda 3 hatch.
Its not quite that simple. The 3 has slightly more interior room and better fuel economy, and comparably equipped, is a tad cheaper, at least the small engine versions. But there are differences that might make one prefer the CX-3. Some might like the higher seating position. I prefer the CX-3's smaller foot print and styling, particularly the exterior.

Some testers say the CX-3 provides a quieter ride, with less wind and road noise, by far my biggest complaint with the 3. It made me not buy a 3 I test drove earlier this year. I loved it otherwise. The difference may be insignificant. Won't know till I try the CX.

Also, the only 3 available without a sunroof for 2016 will be the base Sport, so if you much want other equipment and are not a fan of sunroofs, you will have swallow one anyway.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes I was thinking as I wrote that comment about a FWD CX-3 that it would trigger a response and I agree with all these points, (but I am getting AWD).
I test drove the CX-3 AWD 3 times actually and I did not find it noisy and I do know the Mazda 3 (older one at least is noisy). As far as power is concerned it feels fast, zippy, wants to go, maybe just the gearing for urban driving. No issue getting up to highway speed but highway passing may not be great. As far as seating height, it is not that much higher than a 3, certainly not like a CX-5.
Rear seat room could be a deal breaker for some but fine with shorter drivers. I looked at a loaded Honda HRV, more room but very bland, poor radio head unit, CVT and less horse power, no desire to own one.
Sun roof, yes something I could live without but usually something you have to pay for to get anything above a base car.
One other advantage of base GX and GS is to get 16" rather than 18" wheels. The car is already firm riding and 16" would help the ride (and replacement cost).
Larger wheels seem to be more about style than of any real handling advantage. With the GT get 16" wheels for your snow tires (for those that actually get a winter).
Another thing that I have not seen mentioned is the size of the side mirror, pulled back on the door, latest trend, seems too in your face on drivers side.
just my 2 cents ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even with FWD and winters you'd be good, from my experience tires are the most important, but of course combining it with AWD puts you off much better than most.
Yes. Most people don't know this but FWD with snow tires is better/safer than AWD with all-season tires. And summer tires are better in the rain than all season tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. Most people don't know this but FWD with snow tires is better/safer than AWD with all-season tires. And summer tires are better in the rain than all season tires.
No, I have had four AWD cars with 4 snow tires and from my experience they are far better and safer in nasty weather than FWD with 4 snow tires.
FWD with just snow tires on the front is just looking for trouble, been there, done that, survived.
RWD with just rear snow tires not too bad but front can plough, understeer in slippery driving conditions, been there too.
Rear wheel drive with posi-traction can make the back end take off in a turn in slippery conditions also., been there too.
Found AWD is also much better in hydroplaning heavy rain situations (with good tires of course.)
As far as simple dumb 4 wheel drive systems (trucks etc.) they are something else, more about off road, towing etc., can be dangerous and actually disappointing as a winter vehicle.
And of course ... slow down as you can quickly get yourself in trouble with any combo in bad weather.

·
Registered
277 Posts
One other advantage of base GX and GS is to get 16" rather than 18" wheels. The car is already firm riding and 16" would help the ride (and replacement cost).
Larger wheels seem to be more about style than of any real handling advantage. With the GT get 16" wheels for your snow tires (for those that actually get a winter).
In the reports I have read , the 18s offer real advantages in dry road grip. (Most importantly, braking distance) and handling response.

Its subjective, but to me the 16s look like roller skate wheels and really diminish the CX-3s otherwise aggressive looks.
Some reviews have said the 18s are noisier, some not.
That they ride rougher and are costlier, no doubt. I would like to sample the difference myself. I'm sure it would affect my preference/not for the GT model.

IMO the 16s are too high a profile, the 18s too low. The HRV rides on 17s.(all models). I think that a sensible compromise.

My CX-5 is on 17s and rubber is wearing thin. Bet the bolt pattern is the same and I could apply the appropriate rubber and put them on the CX-3.
Then go to 18s on the CX-5, as
Mazda makes the same mistake offering 17s and 19s on it, where a compromise would make more sense.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do not think there is FWD CX3-GT in Canada, I think they all come AWD.

Anyway, I drove FWD since I can drive and never had problems in the snow.
However, I drove my wife's AWD CX-5 and just loved the feeling when it comes the cold season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No, I have had four AWD cars with 4 snow tires and from my experience they are far better and safer in nasty weather than FWD with 4 snow tires.
FWD with just snow tires on the front is just looking for trouble, been there, done that, survived.
RWD with just rear snow tires not too bad but front can plough, understeer in slippery driving conditions, been there too.
Rear wheel drive with posi-traction can make the back end take off in a turn in slippery conditions also., been there too.
Found AWD is also much better in hydroplaning heavy rain situations (with good tires of course.)
As far as simple dumb 4 wheel drive systems (trucks etc.) they are something else, more about off road, towing etc., can be dangerous and actually disappointing as a winter vehicle.
And of course ... slow down as you can quickly get yourself in trouble with any combo in bad weather.
Yes of course AWD with snow tires is the best option. I was comparing AWD with all season tires to FWD with snow tires. FWD with 4 snow tires is better than AWD with 4 all season tires because basically, all season tires suck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can not use all season tire during winters in Quebec.
You definitely need to have winter tires or you'll receive a ticket.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts