Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

New member here. Owner for the last 3-4 weeks of a slightly used 2019 CX-3 AWD model. It has 18000km and I'm located in Canada. It has not been that cold here lately, but I am averaging around 8.5l/100km which equates to about 27 US mpg and that is about 95% highway. I run 118km/h (72-73mph) on cruise control and my one way commute is 100km/62miles on the dot (200km/124miles round trip per day).

It has been around the freezing mark up or down a few degrees lately and I reset everything when I became the owner. The average over the last 3000km has settle to the above number and I guess I expected better, not much over mid-high 7's would have been my expectation with the weather and offset positively by nearly 95% highway driving.

Also something I never put any thought into is that at this rate upon my day 2 return from work I need to gas or else the day 3 run into work I may miss fuel. Even with thirstier vehicles I don't think I have ever fueled up every second day. It is a small tank for sure, but where do those who drive in a cold winter climate see their averages hovering? Wondering if I need to look into things or that is what to expect? Thx.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The calculated fuel readings on the dash are so susceptible to easy manipulation it almost negates the usefullness of it. I use a remote starter and let my car warm up like 5+ minutes and this will automatically drop any avg mpg readings since its calculated since last reset. That average mpg also impacts the expected mileage til empty which is probably the most misleading value there. Its great when it reads 1mpg average sometimes lol. That being said any little thing will also give a change to it,

Hills: any hills during commute will kill this reading since the car has to work to get up it.

Rain/snow: if your wipers are on i believe the car is almost always using the awd system instead of part time. I could be mistaken but the broscience around the forums and youtube point to such. Its not going to be as consuming as 4wd on a truck etc but still uses a bit more.

Weight: are you carrying anything/passengers? Also the awd model is a bit heavier than the rwd model which should not exist.

Cold weather: Cold starts in cold weather burn more fuel (at least they did in 16-18 not sure about 19). Its a safety feature if you want to call it that so the engine warms up faster than other cars and gets the fluids running for longevity purposes and less wear such as driving off instantly on a cold start. It will also explain why the car sounds loud when cold starting it then quiets off.

Speed: I would say speed is causing your drop in mpg reading only because of the long distances back and forth. Dropping it down a bit would change it for sure but again terrain and any hills will play a role.

At the end of the day its just a number on the dash which can easily be manipulated. Reset your avg while cruising on the highway and youll see high 30s even 40s+ until reality of the rest of the trip and circumstances kick in. I would not worry too much about it and rather play it by how often you are fueling up. The tank is smaller but ironically tends to last longer and overall costs less per fillup so when you compare it directly to something with a 16gal tank the mazda is definitly more fuel efficient. I used to panic at this number too at first until I learned how unreliable it really is through experience.

Reference: I have a 2016 cx3 with heavy off road tires, a roof basket, front metal rally bar with 2 6" lights and still average around 23 on the dash reading with mainly city driving and long warmup/idling times in the morning.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Also if you dont have oem wheels, theres a possibility you are adding much more weight to it also. My new 16s with all terrain tires are considerably heavier than oem 18s.

I tend to keep bf goodrich ko2's at 36psi which is higher than oem recommendation also so thats another factor adding to the weight but rides much better than 34 or below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you nailed a lot of things that may upset my mileage right now. I actually hand calculated 24 us mpg tonight or 9.72l/100km from my last tank. Been much colder though and more idle time.

So yes to travelling in Hills. And I just put in a remote start using it in the mornings closer to 10 mins. And I drive hard and sharp...hehe.

Your 23mpg gives me some semblance of normality. Bad shake from the frt tires too. Going to have to check into that. Car apparently suffered some frt end damage before. How much, is not clear. Stock steelies (gx model) with winters have a set of 16 cast mags reserved until Sat. Found some 38 offset so hoping stance is nice.

Thanks for info on cold start. Wasn't sure about that. Exhaust seems extra loud on start up right under passenger footwell and I wonder if exhaust leaking from damage and hence negative effect on milage. I need to be sure on that one. But your start up sequence seems spot on.

I'll keep you guys up to date. Still better than my 19mpg or worse V6 Sorento!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in NS and I'm getting around 8.3 l/100km (mixed city/hwy commute), calculated by the GasBuddy app, in colder weather. I drove through cottage country last early fall averaging around 75 kph last year and got about 7 l/100 by comparison. I've found the mileage really goes for shite when you go over 105. I run a little heavier A/T tire now as well. I'm also pretty sure winter gas makes a bit of a difference and there's no question AC and therefore defrost to some extent adds to the mileage as well.

The saleslady explained to me the noisy startup is the SkyActive trying everything possible to get the engine temperature up to normal as quickly as possible, it normally only lasts less than a minute in the summer, but this morning it was -18 here and it had to have been 3 or 4 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha on this last tank I have challenged myself to ease out a little from a stop and drive a little more conservative (like my engineering buddies who all bought pick-ups and drive them like their grandmothers because they are fuel conscious types......great choice...;))

I have also done 2 days to the factory which is 65km aways one way through all country roads (80km/h speed limits where I drive 98) with again a slightly softer approach. Not slower, but softer. I'll have to fill tomorrow I'm pretty sure before heading back tomorrow night as I head to the office 100km away.

If anyone is curious I drove the car down to 2km remaining on the distance to empty guage. Considering I was on the hwy, my butt cheeks were puckered pretty good those last 5-10km before the gas exit. Kinda unsettling. But I loaded 38.3L with that 2km left so on a 45L tank I still had a little ways to go. It's not good I know this as I'll likely try and push that one day!

Tried to drop and drag a pic not sure it is going to show. Hope so!

Attachments

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, they do say that to get the best mileage, you should imagine a raw egg has been placed on top of the accelerator pedal (and maybe even the brake pedal as well).

Why not be done with four and six cylinder engines and put a garden trimmer engine under the hood. By all means, completely take the fun out of driving altogether.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts