Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My motor trade days are over and these days I drive express passenger trains. It means that I have to get out of the hills of Derbyshire regardless of what the weather does (within reason of course). For that reason I set out to have a set of winter wheels and tyres. The original 18 inch wheels are available but apart form being expensive, I simply could not find any suitable winter tyres to maintain the rolling radius. I opted for the 16 inch wheels which allow a good choice of tyres and it also gets the rims up away from any kerb that might be hidden under the snow.

These are the rims from Burrows Sheffield at £85 ($135) each;

The size details in case anyone wants to source their own wheels are written on the inside of the spokes;

I had originally intended to use Toyo Snowprox S943s but there is a long wait back order on them so the supplier offered me Yokohama V905s instead at £75 ($110). They were ordered online and fitted locally by one of the nationals. The fitter was very careful with the new rims and they were inflated with Nitrogen at no extra cost;

.......and transported back to the anchorgarage;

You can see the “blue earth” markings and the “winter mountain” symbol;

http://www.yokohama-online.com/Sustainability/BluEarth

.....and this shows the special winter tread;

The wheels are currently being waxed up and cleaned and will be fitted around the end of the month at which time I will post up some more photos.

Winter tyres are not a gimmick. They are made from special rubber and have a special tread pattern. For anyone that thinks having an AWD negates the need for them, just have a little look at this;

https://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

·
Registered
63 Posts
That youtube link and test is quite interesting.

I always use winter tyres on my cars. This year my new CX-3 will be fitted also with 16" Michelin Alpine5.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That youtube link and test is quite interesting.

I always use winter tyres on my cars. This year my new CX-3 will be fitted also with 16" Michelin Alpine5.
I don't know why I should get exited about tyres but those are superb and the rims are the nicest I've seen. I would have bought those without doubt if I could have found them here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know why I should get exited about tyres but those are superb and the rims are the nicest I've seen. I would have bought those without doubt if I could have found them here.
Thanks - i like the little darker color compared to "normal" alloy rims.

I had something similar on my Mazda6 when that was around!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - i like the little darker color compared to "normal" alloy rims. B

I had something similar on my Mazda6 when that was around!
Another beautiful motor. Mazda really have some nice vehicles. I wonder what the new CX5 will look like.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Cool youtube video Anchorman, I wonder why they didn't also test all-season tires. Those come standard on most (if not all) cars here in the US, maybe they're not popular in UK? Obviously I wouldn't expect summer tires to do well at all in snow, all wheel drive or not lol.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool youtube video Anchorman, I wonder why they didn't also test all-season tires. Those come standard on most (if not all) cars here in the US, maybe they're not popular in UK? Obviously I wouldn't expect summer tires to do well at all in snow, all wheel drive or not lol.
The standard tyre here is rated M+S. We term none winter tyres as summer tyres. I suppose the terminology is wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice setup!

Are they like some winter tires out there that create a lot of sound or are they quiet, like what you'd get out of all season and summer tires?

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice setup!

Are they like some winter tires out there that create a lot of sound or are they quiet, like what you'd get out of all season and summer tires?
I can't answer that yet Jay because it will be another couple of weeks before they go on. I'm currently waxing them which is a laborious job. I can tell you that the Yoko 902s I had on the RAV through the winter were much quieter than the stock Bridgestones.

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kebabs

They are not studded although they appear to me so in the photo. Those little nobbles are from the production process. I expect they'll be gone soon.

Osterga.

Yes, the sticker on the tyre shows 72 Db. I will report on the noise after a few days of running them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Waiting for my studded Nokian Hakappellitta 8 :) Back ordered til Oct 10. Should survive til then. Got me a second hand set of 17in Mazda allow wheels (likely from a CX5). Should be in business.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Waiting for my studded Nokian Hakappellitta 8 :) Back ordered til Oct 10. Should survive til then. Got me a second hand set of 17in Mazda allow wheels (likely from a CX5). Should be in business.
I looked at second hand but they were either nowhere near good enough for a new car or nearly as expensive as new. I don't think studded tyres are allowed here but our winters are nowhere near as bad as Canada or even the Northern USA. We get snow in small unpredictable doses.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just got Michelin Xi3 put on Mazda OEM M008 wheels 215/55/17. Ill post picks in the following weeks when I put them on. Just waiting for it to get colder. Cost of the wheels, $860 and cost of the tires, $980. Includes Tax.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got Michelin Xi3 put on Mazda OEM M008 wheels 215/55/17. Ill post picks in the following weeks when I put them on. Just waiting for it to get colder. Cost of the wheels, $860 and cost of the tires, $980. Includes Tax.
Superb choice with that colour of car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great setup, should look even better with some snow on it :D

Can't wait to see pictures of how the setup will look once installed.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts