Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I purchased 2 Fiamm freeway blaster horns (high and low) and will plan on installing them next week.

I've seen Anchorman's PDF on how to remove the bumper but I'm going to remove the bottom splash shield to take a look first as to whether I can install them without removing the bumper.

Now after a year of driving this car the horn is a serious weak point, so I'm going to take care of that next week.

GF will be happy that she will actually be noticed now when she uses the horn.

Tony

·
Registered
95 Posts
Last week I purchased 2 Fiamm freeway blaster horns (high and low) and will plan on installing them next week.

I've seen Anchorman's PDF on how to remove the bumper but I'm going to remove the bottom splash shield to take a look first as to whether I can install them without removing the bumper.

Now after a year of driving this car the horn is a serious weak point, so I'm going to take care of that next week.

GF will be happy that she will actually be noticed now when she uses the horn.

Tony
Last summer while thinking about adding a high note horn, I noticed an unused electrical connector on the passenger side that mirrored the existing horn. It would be real convenient if it was another horn connector.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look for that when I get to installing the horns. The factory horn is mounted on the pass side currently, yeah would be good if that is another horn connector would need to get a test light up there to test it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll look for that when I get to installing the horns. The factory horn is mounted on the pass side currently, yeah would be good if that is another horn connector would need to get a test light up there to test it.
Oops, your right, the unused connector is on the driver side.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven't tried this, but you might be able to swap horns by reaching through the grille (rather than removing the bumper)... Just a thought.

On that note, the fact that that the bumper has to be removed to access the horn, swap headlights, modify the grille, etc., is a real thorn in my side. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think the horns are gonna come through the grille after you remove the stock one and try to add your other horns David.

I will be able to finish up the horn install tomorrow and no I didn't remove my front bumper to do it. As I said earlier removing the front bottom splash shield and the plastic spacer piece between the bumper and metal bumper frame behind gave me access to the horn from below.

I've already removed the stock horn and figured out how I will space the Fiamm horns in generally the same location and I can install it tomorrow then a small simple wire harness can be made to connect the horns to each other, to power (the stock power connector) and ground and reinstall the removed pieces and I will be good to go.

Pics to follow tomorrow when the major part of the install will commence.

Tony

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was up early this morning to try to get this done but it started raining so *install your most used and favorite expletive here*.

I still have the rest of the day and tomorrow to get it done (rain is suppose to stop and dry up later...............here's hoping).

Want to be done with this so the GF has a ride to drive next week to her appointments.

Tony

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't HEAR it! Which youtube do you recommend? :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she had to use it today. I wasn't with her but according to her some dimwit driver went down the wrong side of the road she was behind a large Van. The Van moved over and next thing this car was coming towards her in the wrong lane.

So she layed on the horn and the driver swerved back to his proper side of the road. Hopefully the horn helped in some way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's the video I finally did on the horns and how they sound. I had done the horns also on my SX4 so you get 2 cars for the view of one (actually 3, the Shelby got the same horns as the Suzuki no view of it on the video, sorry).

Description of type of horns are in video (CX-3 you know have the Fiamm FBs). Enjoy!!!

Tony

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very nice, did it change the sound of the key fob locking "chirp" much or was it taken out? Ive been wanting to do a horn swap but some are saying it makes the locking sounds really loud while others claim it removes it entirely.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never checked that at all yet I usually lock my doors with the lock button in the door before getting out.

The chirp I'm thinking should be the horn chirp so it most likely will be louder.

I'll try it tomorrow with the fob and report back what I find out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I locked the door just now with the fob. 1 press of the lock button on fob and no horn sound and doors lock. I press the lock button again within like 2-3 seconds and I get a short horn honk and yes it's loud.

So the dual horns work for that too.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for confirming that, my stock horn is really loud (probably the only time it can be considered loud lol) when locking the car due to the acoustics of the driveway it is parked in so this was what was concerning me the most. Cant risk the extra noise but also cant remove the lock chirp as it confirms the car is locked from far away lol, oh well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How far away are you from the car when you lock it? ALA there's no other loud noises around you can usually hear the door lock motor when you press the fob to lock/unlock the car. You also get the visual with the signal light flash to let you know that you have locked/unlocked the car.

The stock horn probably only sounds loud when it chirps for the lock function, but any other use of the stock horn and it's useless. There were times on the highway when the GF or I would use the horn and you can't even hear it in the car. Now with the dual Fiamms you hear them quite clearly inside so they would be pretty loud outside (what you want).

Tony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts