Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having an oil or wax based undercoating applied to inhibit rust but am unsure if it would void the corrosion warranty.

Has anyone had an undercoating applied to their cx3 without any warranty issues?

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
I doubt it will void anything. If you're in the US, they have to show how a modification would have caused a failure in order to void the warranty on a specific part.

That said, I don't know that wax- or oil-based undercoating make a huge difference. They just eventually wash away. You'd be better off with a properly applied rubberized product from 3M or Rustoleum.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Reading this thread from a Canadian perspective where our roads are salted regularly, I am pretty sure any rust protection that comes with a warranty of it own (like Rustcheck or Krown which are known to work well in Canadian winters) would be a good idea. If the manufacturer absconds their duty to the customer because of the application of one or the other, you can turn to the people behind these two products for repair as they come with a good warranty. That said, you need to read the contract carefully as there are probably conditions (like having the car resprayed and/or having inspections at regular intervals). There are lesser known rust treatments, but these two are the big guys in Canada.

By the way, where are you from? It might help reading your messages if you visited your User CP page and filled out more information about yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt it will void anything. If you're in the US, they have to show how a modification would have caused a failure in order to void the warranty on a specific part.

That said, I don't know that wax- or oil-based undercoating make a huge difference. They just eventually wash away. You'd be better off with a properly applied rubberized product from 3M or Rustoleum.
I'm wary of rubberized coatings because of the horror stories I've heard if they're not absolutely expertly applied. Everything from chipping/flaking to actually accelerating the corrosion process.

Reading this thread from a Canadian perspective where our roads are salted regularly, I am pretty sure any rust protection that comes with a warranty of it own (like Rustcheck or Krown which are known to work well in Canadian winters) would be a good idea. If the manufacturer absconds their duty to the customer because of the application of one or the other, you can turn to the people behind these two products for repair as they come with a good warranty. That said, you need to read the contract carefully as there are probably conditions (like having the car resprayed and/or having inspections at regular intervals). There are lesser known rust treatments, but these two are the big guys in Canada.
I hope on going to the body shop sometime this week. I believe they're offering a rustcheck type product but I'll need to make sure.

By the way, where are you from? It might help reading your messages if you visited your User CP page and filled out more information about yourself.
Northeast PA.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Mine was plastered in wax.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is super delayed, but I am new and bored and reading a lot.
Technically under coating car void a part of the warranty.
If the undercoating "causes" a problem, that particular repair is actually not covered. EX: Undercoating swelling a gasket, or rubber, grommet etc. That's not a manufacturer defect it is a problem caused by the product applied to it. However Me personally, I would find a way to warranty it. Its how I roll lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts