Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New CX-3 owner as of this weekend. Love it so far.

One question: Why is the cargo tray there in the back? Any reason not to take it out and just have more cargo space in the back?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I don't think the lower tray is all that structurally sound. It's fairly flimsy foam that sits on top of the spare/sub and the tool holding foam. My hunch is that it's mostly for acoustic damping.

The top tray is structural foam (I know, a funny sounding term) and it's actually fairly strong. It held an Asin A1 transmission for an RX-8 (100+ lbs) without issue. I doubt the lower tray would do anything but buckle under the load.

I use the space in between the two to hold important but rarely used things like an emergency tire patch kit, emergency blanket, jumper cables, utility gloves, tie-down strap, bungie cords, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are asking about the tray that sits a few inches above the tray immediately above the spare tire, it's there so when you fold the rear seats, you get a continuous flat surface. That tray will be level with the backs of the folded seats.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The top tray panel is what makes my cx-3 able to haul tons of mulch, wood, and bags of cement without collapsing on itself. I dont question it much because it does its job well. The lower pieces would not stand a chance and if this stuff landed onto the audio equipment by the spare tire, it is going to cause a bit of damage.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great

The top tray panel is what makes my cx-3 able to haul tons of mulch, wood, and bags of cement without collapsing on itself. I dont question it much because it does its job well. The lower pieces would not stand a chance and if this stuff landed onto the audio equipment by the spare tire, it is going to cause a bit of damage.
Ah,
Noting like throwing bags of cement and loads of timber into a CX3, geez should have thought of that before lowering my car, would have been cheaper, but not so good for fuel consumption, but I do like you post.
My boot is filled nicely, car cleaning stuff, 10" active sub, folding bike rack, all good for me, great little car can not fault it, and I still have all that plastic factory stuff as well.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts