Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 5k plus in my auto awd cx3, i get a whine out of the passenger side front of the car.

I haven't opened the hood to determine what is spinning over there, and will this weekend. perhaps a belt is stretching and hitting a shield...again - need to check.

anyone else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
At 5k plus, my diesel would explode but there are no clues in your profile to tell me which engine you have or whether your passenger side is on the left (where it should be ;-)) or the right. The Skyactive engines are not normally troublesome but slight whines are not untypical at high engine speed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Something similar happened to me this morning as I was driving to work. It was more around 6000 RPM, and I heard this weird high pitched buzzing noise, kinda like when a fly keeps running into a window. It came from the passenger front side as well. I tried to duplicate it after I parked, but it seems like it only happens while driving. I'll see if I can duplicate it again while driving, if so, I'm taking it straight to Mazda.

·
Registered
272 Posts
At 5k plus, my diesel would explode but there are no clues in your profile to tell me which engine you have or whether your passenger side is on the left (where it should be ;-)) or the right. The Skyactive engines are not normally troublesome but slight whines are not untypical at high engine speed.
LOL i see anchorman keeps milking the location bit

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have yet to rev past 4K rpm (granny driving style ftw) but i hit 3000km on the odo this morning so will try redline'ing on the way home and report any findings

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I have yet to rev past 4K rpm (granny driving style ftw) but i hit 3000km on the odo this morning so will try redline'ing on the way home and report any findings
O,oh. Vandal is bringing his engine home in a cardboard box :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed that too, but undramatically, it was the overhead dome lights/sunglass holder buzzing from the vibrations at certain RPMs.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I notice a distinct whine when I start out on a very cold (below freezing) morning. It can still be heard after a minute or so of driving and then gradually disappears until the next cold startup. I don't believe it is there when the weather is warmer. It doesn't really bother me. I just have to remember the myriad of noises that I detected on my previous car (a 2009 Subaru Forester) during a cold start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I heard a buzz/vibration also from front passenger (right side) dash around 5k miles. This would happen when I hit the gas from a stop or a slower speed & "zoom". I emptied glove box, made sure nothing in side door compartment etc & it still happened.

Reported to techs when I had first routine (5k) service. They heard as well & said I should bring it back when I can get a loaner for the day so they can drive & pinpoint exact cause, thought something in dash may be loose etc. I haven't brought it back yet but weird thing is I haven't really heard it lately. Don't know if it has something to do with weather, heat, vents so I'll be monitoring. If not a big nuisance I'll wait until next service (have to look not sure which mileage that happens at) and get a loaner & have them test again & fix all at once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to be clear on the noise:

If you take a dremel/grinder to a piece of plastic, it sounds like that

:eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Maybe you are right about the belts. Did you get chance to look?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did a thorough inspection and didn't find anything alarming - I looked for belt wear and didn't see any - but I suspect that the engine may be moving a bit under high revs and something, somewhere is vibrating.

Will keep looking (unless something gives way - then I'll really know what the problem is!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 FW drive with 25K on it.
It has started this very high pitch whine noise when the outside temp is 28 Celsius and over. The speed range I can reproduce this noise is from 80kph to 120kph.
The noise is very annoying when driving long distances.
I'm taken it to the dealer in the morning and because I could not reproduce the noise in cooler temp, they would not work in it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a 2016 FW drive with 25K on it.
It has started this very high pitch whine noise when the outside temp is 28 Celsius and over. The speed range I can reproduce this noise is from 80kph to 120kph.
The noise is very annoying when driving long distances.
I'm taken it to the dealer in the morning and because I could not reproduce the noise in cooler temp, they would not work in it.
If I were you I would check the fan belt that drives the A/C compressor and see if there is too much slack. If so, a belt dressing stick or spray would be a temporary measure to get relief from the noise and a way to determine if that is the source of the noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts