Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fixed maintenance in US and Canada is once every 4 months or 5000 miles/8000 kilometers. The flexible maintenance however calculates oil life based on your driving and will illuminate a wrench icon when its time for a change. I think for me the flexible plan is the way to go, right now it still shows 100% oil life after almost a month and about 700 miles. Yeah I haven't driven it much lol.

The only disclaimer for the flexible plan is that you must use genuine Mazda oil, which is what I'm planning on anyway by having it serviced at a Mazda dealer.

Just wondering what you all are deciding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got the lifetime oil changes, So I am with the fixed program.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This is a good question. I only drive 4k miles per year. Seems silly to change oil after only 1-2k miles on it. I may just do every 6 months. BMW would only service my old x1 once over the 33 months and 13k miles I had it lol.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely seems more convenient, I don't know if there is a disadvantage.

·
Registered
265 Posts
How can you only travel 4k a year,impossible
I can see that being the case for someone who mostly takes transit to work as for some that makes more sense and/or those that don't need to travel far often.

I know i'd easily run through 15k.

·
Registered
872 Posts
How can you only travel 4k a year,impossible
I typically only drive to work (8 miles round trip = 40 miles per week) and a few errands here and there. Seattle is very compact. I usually walk everywhere on the weekends. And I travel out (via plane) of Seattle many timers per year - currently in Asia for 3 weeks as I type this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My CX3 is a LEASE and the dealer has it on the FIXED plan, which, considering how few miles I'll put on it on a yearly basis is really a waste of resources AND my money. But, it is 6 months or 5,000 miles and the cost of an oil change/filter at this dealer is $34.95, which if they're using the Castrol synthetic 0-20 for the change isn't a bad price.

As a point of reference, my FIAT 500 Abarth and/or my FIAT 500 Pop with synthetic Pennzoil and MoPar filter were/are $69.95 per change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a choice for a "flexible" plan in Canada. The Canadian maintenance plan appears to mandate "fixed" oil changes every four months (or 4000 kilometres). :(

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There doesn't seem to be a choice for a "flexible" plan in Canada. The Canadian maintenance plan appears to mandate "fixed" oil changes every four months (or 4000 kilometres). :(
That can't be right, is that what the dealer told you? if so, obviously they want you to take the car back to them as often as possible. Check the car's settings, there should be a maintenance option and see what you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That can't be right, is that what the dealer told you? if so, obviously they want you to take the car back to them as often as possible. Check the car's settings, there should be a maintenance option and see what you have.
I have not asked the dealer (yet) to confirm this. But the user manual clearly states that the "flexible" schedule was only available in other countries (such as the U.S.). It states that it was not available in Canada. I'll call the dealer to confirm though. (Just took delivery of the vehicle a couple of days ago....)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It could be because the flexible schedule is for places where you don't have severe weather conditions (extreme cold and snow or extreme heat and dust), but I would've thought the option still exists in the car's settings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We just got our oil changed at 8100kms at a Toronto dealership. Synthetic 0W-20 $59.95. Can't complain, price is actually pretty good. They even updated the Infotainment firmware to 55.00.753. I do my own oil changes but for now the dealer will have to do. I like to send oil samples to Blackstone Labs. Hope to get that done in a few oil changes. I like using Mobile 1 Extended life oil and filter on my other vehicle after the warranty is done. Will do the same on the CheX. For the life of the warranty, I'll stick with OEM Filter and oil made for skyactiv engines.

Link to mazda Canada maintenance schedule(8000kms)

https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en/pdf/maintenance/2016_mazdacx3_maintsheet_e.pdf

·
Registered
48 Posts
One thing that had me thinking against the Mazda was the 4 month oil change thing. Almost every other car is 6 months.
A pain to have to have it done every 4 months especially on a (second) car not driven a lot, (at least during warranty period).
As far as brand of oil, I believe all oil of equivalent specs is the for the most part the same, the rest is just marketing, like using "premium" gas for engines that do not call for it.
It would also seem to be a waste to pay for Synthetic on a car with the oil changed that often.
Now I know some would disagree but I am now beginning to wonder, (from all I read), if using Synthetic at all is just a waste $(for most people) .

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The CX-3 does have a 6-month oil change interval, but just like every other car that is for "normal" driving. The 4 months is for "aggressive" driving which to be honest I think should be called normal while the normal should be called "light duty". Basically if you do a lot of low-speed driving and idling (rush hour traffic for example), and you drive in extreme cold or extreme humid or dusty conditions then the "normal" interval does not apply to you according to Mazda and every other manufacturer. I personally think even in those conditions 6 months is perfectly fine.

I haven't decided yet, but I'm either planning on taking it for service every 6 months, or follow the flexible plan when the car tells me its time for an oil change.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Canadian maintenance plan appears to mandate "fixed" oil changes every four months (or 4000 kilometres). :(
That is really ridiculous. In Finland the service interval is 15000 km or 12 months (gasoline engine).
My previous car, Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, had 7500 km / 6 months service interval. And that was for a turbo charged engine.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts