Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bit careless and reached a gas station with the display saying I was 5 miles to empty. I then "filled" it, putting 9.7 gallons in my 11.9 gallon gas tank.

Did I have 2 gallons left, or did the pump just not really fill it? If the former, how much of that 2 gallons is usable (ie. how many miles did I really have left?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am going to assume your low fuel light was on. Do you remember what the range said when it did light up? in the almost two years of ownership I have not let it get that low so but according to the online CX-3 manual there is 2.3 gallons left (around) when it does go on. My guess is you still had fuel left; maybe not 2 gallons but close to that amount.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed the light on at 11 miles left; after driving 6 miles to the gas station, it said 5 miles. I guess that inspires confidence.

Okay, so 2 gallons of gas left makes the numbers add up properly; but is that 2 gallons of gas usable?
I was plenty nervous about reaching a station, but if I really had some usable gas left...

This is the first time I have ever gotten that low, so I don't plan on making a habit of it. I know there is sediment in the bottom of the tank and letting a gas pump run dry isn't good for it.

20 years ago I took two gallons of gas with me, determined to see how many miles I had left when the light came on in my RAV4. After 28 miles I passed a station with the next one 10 miles away. I lost my nerve and filled up; so I never found out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Probably not every drop, but I'd have to believe if you have two gallons left, maybe 1 and 3/4 to 1 and 7/8 of it is usable. Just guessing actually, but as mentioned, letting the tank run dry or almost is not a good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts