Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center armrest has a slot in it with a spring of some sort. Something is supposed to go in there, but I can't imagine what. The manual not only doesn't mention it, but shows a little bin there.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Its a smart phone slot and the tension spring is designed to keep it from sliding out during stops etc. I'm not a fan of it but at least they put some effort into seeking out some storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sales person pointed this slot out to me when I test drove the car and oohed and aahed over it like it an amazing feature.. it was really funny when my S5 in a pretty small bumper case didn't even come close to fitting and he had to backtrack his excited description of how wonderful this slot would prove to be for daily use.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had problems with my arm rest becoming unbearably squeaky after about a week or two of owning the car. Took it in to the dealer and they swapped it out with one from another car on the lot. The original arm rest phone slot worked great with my iPhone 5S in it's Otterbox case. The new arm rest had an incredibly tight spring force in it, like you described. I used it for a few days to see if it just needed to be broken in and it eventually ended up breaking my Otterbox case on my phone because it was so hard to pull the phone out once inserted. Also, the glue from the felt strip on the clip was rubbing off onto my phone and making a mess. I took matters into my own hands this time and I fixed it myself and now it works great after 8+ months since the fix. Detent force is just right and no more glue rubbing off. I've since gotten ride of the iPhone 5S and now have iPhone 6S+ with a new Otterbox case and it just fits in the arm rest slot like it was made for it.

See my post with my fix here: http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/39833-post10.html

And pics here: http://www.cx3forum.com/forum/39849-post11.html

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's a crappy phone holder. The protective leather on the hook came off after using it a couple times. I noticed there was some adhesive all over my phone once, then I saw it was because of this crappy phone holder. I just keep my phone in the cup holders if I take it out of my pocket.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's basically useless. My S6 in a protective case doesn't really fit.
My phone fits fine, and on my last car of the same size I always just tossed my phone on the seat and wished I had someplace better to put it. However.... last car had a nice large console with a usb connection in it, and I could get to my cup holder without moving an arm rest. The CX3 center console area was not well thought out. I think that is my main peeve at so far. (though I am not sold on the keyless starting concept, but maybe that will come.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is a little delayed... but my phone and case is too big for the slot. I've since found out it fits a pack of gum, specifically Trident White, literally perfectly. It doesn't stick out, and I always have some gum on hand. I buy the big packs from Walmart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts