Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what other cars did you test drive before making the choice to purchase a CX3?

I can remember watching the adds for the CX3 and thinking wow that's in my budget!

I test drove all new cars and they were;

Toyota Corolla Levin
Golf Comfortline
Polo Comfortline
Renault Clio R.S
Renault Capture
Mazda 3 Touring
Mini Cooper 3-door

All completely different cars to the CX3 :eek: But I'm still happy with my choice :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I didn't test drive any lol. Only the CX-3 when the first one arrived on my local dealers lot. I knew its want I wanted so saved me the hassle of having to shop around lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
here in Ohio, I drove the CRV and CX-5.

picked the CX-3 for its more athletic look, options for the price, great handling characteristics and the lease deal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mazda Miata. Not really. While my CX-3 was getting reading for financing, the sales manager gave me the keys and told me to take my time. I almost went home with the Miata instead! haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
(US Market)

Honda HRV
Subaru Crosstrek
Subaru Impreza
Hyundai Sonata (Just to see how far they've come)
Hyundai Elantra (more similar in size to the CX3, leagues apart in features/quality)
Mazda 3 2/2.5 hatch
Mazda CX-5
Mercedes C300

It's no easy task to find a "nice", small (sub 170" or thereabouts length), reliable (I prefer Japanese imports), efficient, FUN TO DRIVE (hence the lack of Toyotas and many Hondas), semi-affordable car in the US market.

It's a good thing I liked the CX-3, as it kind of ended up the only girl left standing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
other than every mazda we had as i work for them but almost every subaru since they are next door owned by the same owner as well as the jeep renegade and some dodges awd somethings as that brand is also owned by the same owner. oh and both fiat 500 and the abarth. i also tried the rav 4, corolla, camry, 2014 elantra and veloster turbo, 2014 honda civic, HR V, CRZ, and some fords as we had like 3 on our used lot from 2013.

i tried all of these for about 3 weeks as i was planning on trading in my honda fit for a newer car until the honda got t-boned and it goes bye bye. other than being a great car i also got employee discounts and help from my sales managers who helped me out greatly.

this was also a perfect choice as it hits most of my criteria right off the bat. AWD, looks good, interior is fantastic, good enough cargo (nothing beats my fit), greater luxuries i never had before (working A/C, heated leather seats, no leaks), and i can maintain and fix almost any problems through work cheaply so sweet on that.

out of all of those and the fact that my girlfriend is also co-paying for it i sucked it up and passed on all the turbo cars and fwd cars and ended up with the cx3 which i do not at all regret. still i will complain and whine till im blue in the face i want a manual cx3 darn it

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have test driven several but my thoughts always go back to the
Mazda CX-3 Closed Course test drive.
They brought
a couple of CX-3s ,
a Jeep Renegade ,
a Nissan Juke &
a Subaru Crosstrek

Free Lunch, a set of headphones in a Mazda branded zipper case
and a couple of white knuckled Mazda reps
I had so much fun on a closed course
it's nice to know some a-hole is not popping out in front of you.

ever since then I wanted a CX-3 - but I did my duty and also drove others (Honda CRV, Fiat500x , Mini don't remember model and others)

only the Juke came close for handling/fun factor combined, but it uses premium fuel, didn't have as many features and I couldn't get used to the look:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have test driven several but my thoughts always go back to the
Mazda CX-3 Closed Course test drive.

only the Juke came close for handling/fun factor combined, but it uses premium fuel, didn't have as many features and I couldn't get used to the look:rolleyes:

the Juke looks like a warthog.

·
Registered
327 Posts
2012 Mini Clubman (regular S and JCW versions)
2012 Ford Focus SEL hatchback
2016 Mazda 6
2012? Nissan Altima (CVT transmission, blech!)
2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

LOVED the MINI JCW to death and the price, miles, and condition were spot on, but hated the premium gas requirement and my wife vetoed the stupid little "club door" on the passenger side only. The 2016 Clubman model has addressed my wife's complaints about the club door and added a little more cargo and passenger room too, but the premium gas requirement remained.

The Focus was a fun little ride, that handled great, but lacked any feeling of power when you hit the gas. The transmission isn't geared nearly as well as the CX-3. The entertainment system has way too many buttons and knobs. I could figure it out, but my wife wouldn't. I just didn't care to learn it. It's way more complicated that it needs to be and clutters up the dash. The price was really good for the miles on it though. They were only asking $15K and it only had about 8k miles on it and it had nearly every option available on the SEL trim.

Mazda 6 was great. Almost bought it. Great incentives and unbeatable trade-in offer as they were trying to clear out a lot of inventory to make room for the CX-3's that were coming in. Couldn't talk my wife into it at the time.

The Altima? Garbage. Interior looked and felt cheap. Ride and handling were slightly above average, but the CVT transmission is a complete bore to drive and ruined the car. Lots of power, but you'd never know it with that transmission. Good fuel economy for a V6 and plenty of interior room. (Nice, but too many miles on it for the asking price. All Scoobs are like that. Resale values are better on Subarus than any other car I've ever seen). A friend of mine had an older Altima 3.5 SE-R and that was a night-and-day improvement over the one I drove.

The Impreza was good, but uninspired other than the really good AWD system used on the Impreza line. Good fuel econ, but almost everything screams econo-box on the Impreza. Cheap materials (though better than they used to be a few years ago), still using crappy stereos, same old boring dog of a 4-speed transmission they used forever. Wife didn't want one with a 5-speed stick which makes an immediate improvement to the feel of the Imprezas. Interior room is average as is trunk space. As a Scoob fan since 2001 when I ordered my 2002 WRX, give me an Impreza over a Crosstrek XV any day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
We tried the

Honda HRV (looks odd, terrible seats, and that droney CVT)
Kia Sportage (slow but roomy)
Hyundai IX35 (not very good at all)
Mazda 3 (pretty good and almost got a guernsey)
Toyota Corolla (slow and hated the CVT)
Ford Kuga (pretty good but a little expensive)

In the end the CX-3 won because of its looks, performance, and overall quality. Don't need a big second car as we have the Mondeo for cartage duties.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We test drove the Fiat 500X and the CX-3.
Ultimately we bought the CX-3, mainly due to price (it's cheaper and You get way more gadgets) :)

We're not a bit sorry, but I also like the 500X.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like DJ9999, I didn't test drive anything else. My CX3 is my 9th Mazda, so it may be concluded I rather like the brand. Considered a WRX, but didn't drive one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Honda HRV and the Toyota Rav.

I liked the HRV especially the magic seating in the passenger area - how it folds up completely. BUT they went digital for the control panel for radio, air conditioning and heating. Who wants to look over and down while driving to adjust the controls? For me, it was a deal breaker.

The Rav was huge, relative to when it first came out years back. Too large for my purposes.
The CRV was too big for me, also.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Like DJ9999, I didn't test drive anything else. My CX3 is my 9th Mazda, so it may be concluded I rather like the brand. Considered a WRX, but didn't drive one.
Same here. I took my wife's Mazda5 in for an oil change (only had 33K on it) and serious blunder here, took her with me. DOH The CX-3 was parked in the exact same spot in the showroom as the 5 when we purchased it in 2011. She fell in love with it and we were done... :) Actually, while it has much less space than the 5 it handles beautifully and is a gas to drive!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Didn't test drive anything and the only other one I had a interest in was the Subaru cross trek.I relied on the reviews I read on the cuvs and the Mazda came out on top for what I wanted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts