Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this happened on Easter. Driving home from my wife’s grandmother’s house. My 7 year old daughter in the back seat. A tour bus in the left lane decided to change lanes into the right lane where my car was. I was slightly ahead of him and he clipped the rear side of my car on or just behind the left rear door. He must not have known he was hitting me because he just kept merging over after the initial contact. My car spun around and ended up in front of the bus, essentially t-boning my car and pushing me down the road about a half a block and through an intersection. Eventually my car slipped off the front of his bus and hit a light pole in the median. Bus driver admitted to the cop that he didn’t check his mirrors for his blind spot before changing lanes. He was cooperative at the scene, but seems to have lawyered up or something because now he’s not talking to give a statement to anyone. I’m guessing he’s trying to protect his insurance coverage and/or his CDL. No citations were issued that I’m aware of, but I don’t have the final accident report yet.

My daughter and I were shaken but unhurt. Not even a bump, bruise or scratch. No airbag deployment. I’m guessing we’d might have had some injuries from those if they did go off. We both walked away and we’re doing fine. Wasn’t even sore afterward. Domo arigato gozaimas to the engineers at Mazda for making a safe car!

On Wednesday, my insurance declared the car a total loss. Initial body shop estimate was over $13,000 and they figured it could easily go up substantially more once they started getting into the work, so they wrote it off. They gave me $17,500-ish for it with 27k miles on the clock of my 2016 Touring AWD with the Bose/moonroof package and all-weather floor mats. No allowance was given for the interior Simoniz treatment.

I don’t know if it’s worth talking to a lawyer of my own at this point or not. At the moment, I don’t have all the info yet. Still need the accident report. But I don’t particularly like being stuck with the deductible on this plus the 2 days off work I’ve had to take and other disruptions all this hassle has caused. Chasing paperwork for insurance and my lien holder, filing gap coverage claims, getting and dropping off the rental car, trip to the tow lot to retrieve personal items from the car, car shopping and all the expenses incurred from having to get another car quickly and unexpectedly that aren’t covered by the insurance company. Basically it’s a bunch of bull crap I don’t really enjoy dealing with because of his careless driving. :mad:

So I went shopping for a new car and yesterday I took home a 2018 Mazda 6 GT in Machine Grey Metallic. Pretty nice upgrade, for sure, but it wasn’t something I was even considering. I guess my Dad is somewhat to blame here. He asked me earlier that day what my next car is gonna be. He jinxed me! LOL!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sir. I am so sorry for that terrible accident, but very grateful that you and your daughter are okay. Yes, the Mazda engineers did, in fact, design a very safe vehicle; a huge reason why I decided to purchase one for myself (and I came from a much larger SUV). After viewing the pictures of your damaged car, I would strongly urge that you speak with a P.I. lawyer ASAP. My feeling is that after the investigations are complete, the bus driver will be charged (and should be fired from his job), but even if not, in any event he (the bus driver) is at fault for the accident; meaning you should be compensated for your subsequent inconvenience. However that is just my opinion and only a lawyer can correctly advise you. Usually, with a case like this, the initial consultation is free. In any case, the most important thing is that you and your daughter fortunately escaped injury. Anything else is secondary. However, good luck with the "6". Looks nice. Did you get the turbo (if it's out yet)?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Yes, this one has the 2.5L turbo. This is a lot more car than I was shopping for. I went there to look at a 2016 Mazda6 in Touring trim in Titanium Flash color and only had 8800 miles on it. It was a dead sexy car. They had it listed just under $20K. My wife saw it and she said she didn’t like the color. Dagger... I love that color! Sales guy said why do that “old” car when I can put you into this new ‘18 GT for the same payments? I got the old bait and switch and my wife helped them! LOL!

After we signed the paperwork, we were leaving and my wife says, “I kinda like the color of that car over there better.” “That’s the Titanium Flash you said you hated!” Aaargh!

·
Registered
745 Posts
OMG! That's terrible! The accident and your compensation.

Don't forget, your insurance company is insuring you against loss. In my case the other driver was 100% liable, I subrogated to my insurance company who bargained for me and collected from the other company. I received 16.5 for a 6 year old, base model Prius!

Rule 1. Don't sign anythng until you understand everything! Also, I hope your backaches, headaches, etc. are bearable ... it can be very expensive to fix those!

P.S. Your 6 will be a delight! ....

All IMO :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I should also mention that Progressive is also reimbursing me for the sales tax on my new car. That’s on top of the $17,500-ish they paying on the old car plus covering all the towing, storage, and car rental costs, but that’s all part of what I’m paying for, so that was expected. I’m not sure what that sales tax reimbursement is all about, but I’ll take it, for sure! They didn’t do that for me a few years ago when my Pontiac G8 got rear-ended and totaled by a lady with bald tires in January.

Yes, I seem to be a magnet for people crashing into me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pics of wreck.
My gosh, those pics of your CX-3 are horrifying, amazed & very thankful you and your daughter came through unharmed. I have a whole new appreciation for my CX-3.

When it was clearly the bus driver's fault I don't get why your insurance is covering it, but I think some states are "no fault"? And I admit I really don't know much about how car insurance claims work, I haven't had a claim since the 1980s. (Knocks on wood).

Nice new Mazda 6, alls well that ends well. Do you have a bumper sticker that says "hit me!"? >:)

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is one of those times I am grateful for mazda being extra considerate with safety in the event of a crash. Even seeing crash test videos of the cx3 surprised me and its a good thing since people are making it out of incidents ok. Best of luck and very jealous of the turbo 6 haha

·
Registered
62 Posts
It always pisses me off when someone's lack of attention/stupidity affects someone else's life in a very damaging way - never mind the PITA BS that goes along with getting everything sorted.

Very glad that all turned out as well as it could, and that no one was hurt. Congrats on the new ride! Looks amazing.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Ive not got time to respond in full to this but just so pleased that your daughter (must have scared the poor little soul) and you are OK. I had a very similar but nowhere near as dramatic experience when a truck changed lanes.

Dash cams front and rear folks. These people don’t always come clean with the truth about what happened.

Vipre, give that little one a hug from a relieved friend.

Best wishes buddy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ditto on the dash cam ... and the propensity of some to shade the truth!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, all, for the well-wishes!

So far, we're loving the new 6. Kids love the extra rear seat space, armrest with cupholders, and the charging ports for their tablets. Wife loves the more refined ride, roomier/more comfortable seats, and quieter cabin. This engine and exhaust setup sounds fantastic. Much better sound than the CX-3. Feels like a much bigger engine than it is. And there's zero noticeable turbo lag compared to what I had on my old Subaru WRX. Power is available as soon as you press the gas. You know how Sport mode feels on the CX-3? Well, I can say that if you like how that feels, then Sport mode on the turbo 6 will knock your socks off. ;)

My insurance with Progressive went up $60/month with this new car with the exact same coverage as I had on the CX-3. Progressive's online quoting system hadn't been updated yet to include this year's model and trim levels, so they had to manually underwrite it. Took them about a week. I don't know how much the new vs. old car values are affecting that premium or how much the still-open accident claim is/isn't impacting it. My agent has been off for vacation in the last week and I don't think he's seen the accident report yet from the Milwaukee PD. I don't know how all that stuff works on their end.

One thing I am finding is that GAP coverage through Zurich has been a pain in the butt to get that claim going. They've been completely unresponsive except for a canned notice email that they received my submission and that a rep would be in touch with me. That was nearly a week ago and still not a peep from them. I have no idea if they have everything they need from me to process the claim or not. If I had a do-over, I'd probably consider getting Gap coverage through my own insurance company. I believe Progressive offers this optional rider on your policy now. I guess the one upside to going through Zurich is that you can cancel the policy if you don't need it and get at least a portion of your money back on it. With Progressive's coverage, you might not be able to do that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention this here or if it belongs in a different thread. I've got a set of rims in my garage I don't think I need anymore. I don't think they'll fit the new 6 correctly due to the offset being about 8-12mm too much. No tires or TPMS sensors included. Just rims, hub-centric rings, and center caps.

16"x7" Sport Edition F10 silver painted wheels (5x114.3 bolt pattern, +50mm offset). They'll fit the CX-3 and any first-gen Mazda 6 (maybe 2nd-gen too?). Not sure about fitment on Mazda 3's. They're used and have some scratches and minor curb rash here and there, but all are straight/not bent as far as I can tell. They'd make good winter or spare rims. Looking for around $200 total for all four. Any folks local to southeastern Wisconsin that are interested can PM me. I'll try to get some pictures taken tomorrow to add here, if this is kosher with the admins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts