Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Forum,
I have discovered water pouring out of my rear hatch after a rainy day.
I suspect the leak is due to a damaged gasket around the reverse light housing.
Anyone know how I take out the housing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Laran,
When you say pouring out the rear hatch, where do you mean? Out the bottom where the handle (to close the trunk is), or along the body/metal part?
It does need drainage, as it's not an air tight compartment, much like the doors have drainage but it's not noticeable as the doors don't open up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Zechariah
Thank you for the comment.
The water comes out of the metal lock part and also a bit from the underneath the rubber sealed handle. Don’t think it’s meant to be this way, since the water cannot come out unless I open up the trunk. In the end there will be rust buildup in the hatch and I want to avoid this.
Read somewhere else in this forum that these gaskets could be leaky, so I would like to take a closer look at them. However I don’t have a repair manual to show me how to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had a similar problem. The water was coming in around the tail lights and leaking out at the handle you use to close the hatch. I removed the tail-light housings and applied silicone seal around the openings on the hatch and then re-installed the tail-lights. No more leaks or condensation in the tail-lights, so far.

There are a couple of other threads that cover this issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't have a repair manual, but if you have any mechanical ability it is quite easy to repair. I didn't take any photos when I did my repair and don't have any detailed instructions for you, but the following is a brief description of how to do it. I'm not a mechanic, so I offer this purely as information. If you're uncomfortable doing any of this work, take it to your favourite mechanic.

You first need to remove the plastic panel on the inside of the hatch. This will allow you to gain access to the bolts that hold the taillight housings in place and provide room to get your hands in there to push the housings out. There is likely still some of the adhesive/sealant on them so they can be difficult to remove. If I remember correctly there is also a plastic tab that holds one end of the housing in, so be careful not to break that off. Once out, clean off the remains of the gasket from both the hatch surface and the housings. You could try to locate a set of the OEM gaskets that fit between the housings and hatch, but I chose to apply a bead of clear automotive silicone sealant around the tail-light openings where the gasket once was. Re-install the housings and hatch panel and if you use the silicone sealer, make sure to give it time to properly cure before it gets wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts