Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the push-button start. In the winter I will often start up my car to warm it up and go back inside the house. Would I have to leave my fob in the car to do this? What happens if I start the car and walk away with the fob in my hand?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Once you start the car it will continue to run regardless of where the fob is located. You will hear a series of warning beeps as you walk away, but the car will continue to run.

I would never leave a car running unattended due to theft concerns. Note, your insurance would not likely cover theft under these circumstances. Perhaps you should look at a remote start device for your warm-ups. At least with those they are supposed to stop the engine when you try to drive away.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dont let the car fool you with a false sense of security, there is no security lockout with the keyfob/ignition once the car is turned on. This was primarily the reason why I bought an aftermarket remote starter. Originally I was under the impression the car would turn off if someone theoretically tried to steal it while the keyfob was away and the car was running. I disproved this when I left my keyfob home and drove around while my friend followed me. Needless to say it was pretty eye opening given that for the first 3 months of owner I would turn the car on and run inside leaving it running while it warmed up in the winter not realizing that anyone could basically drive off with it at anypoint since you cant lock doors unless you do so with physical key.

On the otherhand it sort of makes sense why this is a 'feature' that the car does not turn off until manually turned off (button pressed off). Imagine if you are driving on the highway and the key fob battery goes dead, the car wouldnt be able to tell if the keyfob is in the car or not (similar to going inside when warming the car up) and if it had an auto shut off, mazda would be facing quite a few lawsuits if something happened as a result of the car shutting off once key isnt sensed. Same thing goes to if say a child grabs the key fob and throws it out the window.

On the bright side, the keyfob has a nfc chip if the battery ever dies so you can press the mazda emblem onto the ignition button and the car will turn on. However nfc requires extremely close quarters contact to be recognized so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh and also, don't store the fob too close to the car. My dealer advised that the fob will remain in contact and prematurely drain the battery in the fob. In that case, do as SlyCoopers advises and press the fob directly on the starter button to start the car.

The thing about these keyless fobs is that it makes car theft very easy. The signal from a fob inside your house can be amplified enough that a car parked outside on the driveway can be fooled into thinking the fob is beside, or even inside the car. This allows the car doors to be opened and the car to be started. Once started, the thieves simply drive away because the car will continue to run after it is started. A few people I know have begun to store their fobs in a metal box in their homes in order to eliminate this concern. I simply park inside my garage overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts