Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in installing some new, more powerful, horns on my 2017 Mazda CX-3. I'm thinking of Hella Horns.
Any suggestions or help on how to accomplish this without the necessity of removing the front bumper and/or grill?
I'd appreciate any help I can receive from a person who has actually accomplished this task.
One idea I have is to remove the flat panel that covers the hood release mechanism that is located between the radiator and the grill when the hood is opened. This would expose the stock horn mounted on the cross bar behind the grill. Has anyone removed this panel previously, or know how to remove it, without screwing something up?
In the past I have been able to obtain step by step instructions on how to accomplish a specific task from the car dealership's parts or service departments, but so far my Mazda dealership has been not very cooperative.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
PCG

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would suggest going to the Search field in the upper right part of the forum page and typing in "Hella" and you should find many references to Hella horns. They have been reviewed here and there are a few photos of installations by some of our members.

Just a request, could you please go to your User CP page and fill in the information about where you are? It is helpful to those of us who enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I changed the horns on mine. I can tell you that slam panel does not come off separately and you have to take the bumper off which is not as bad as you might think. I can find you the instructions if you fancy a go.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
This seems like just the thing to do to alarm my wife...

She doesn't care about the pictures of me squatting where the engine used to be in my RX-8 but this photo would be highly distressing to her.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I changed the horns on mine. I can tell you that slam panel does not come off separately and you have to take the bumper off which is not as bad as you might think. I can find you the instructions if you fancy a go.
--- SNIP ---
Or, use Anchorman's previous post :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
The most difficult step is getting SWMBO (the wife) to tidy-up the garden for the lovely portrait of the bumper assembly. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The most difficult step is getting SWMBO (the wife) to tidy-up the garden for the lovely portrait of the bumper assembly. ;)
All my own work ;-)

Reactions: mainemanx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anchorman,
Do you happen to recall the color of the insulation on the wire that attached to the factory horn. I would like to tap into the wire loom that passes from inside the engine compartment through the radiator support and emerges behind the grill and attaches to the original horn. I've tried multiple sources for this information but have not been able to gain this information. I've tried two dealerships and Mazda U.S.A. in Irvine, California, but they will not give me this information.
Thanks in advance for any help you can impart.
PCG

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
No, sorry I can't but I wonder if you could reach through with a long screwdriver and just ease the outer insulation up. Zoom into this photo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.