Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with the car doors not auto locking when walking away with the key?
I have this option enabled under vehicle settings.
I'm in Canada since not everyone may have this option.

This seems to happen when one of the following occurs....

- the passenger door is the last door to be closed
- in a parking lot next to a diamond store (i assume there is some kind of interference from security devices in and around the store but it always happens when I park there)
- randomly

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd say it works for me 90% of the time. I've always thought it was the amount of force used to close the door. If it's shut lightly, it may not engage walk away locking. I've not attributed it to any door or my surroundings. I never keep walking away, I always ensure I hear the click, beep and lights flash.

Its a great feature. The downside is now I always forget to lock doors on rentals, friends cars etc.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'd say it works for me 90% of the time. I've always thought it was the amount of force used to close the door. If it's shut lightly, it may not engage walk away locking. I've not attributed it to any door or my surroundings. I never keep walking away, I always ensure I hear the click, beep and lights flash.

Its a great feature. The downside is now I always forget to lock doors on rentals, friends cars etc.
I hear two discernible clicks on the walk-away-lock. Occasionally, when I don't hear the second click, I give the fob a couple of punches ... until I hear the actual horn beep.

·
Registered
451 Posts
There should be two clicks when you close the driver's side door and walk away from the car. The first is to alert you to the fact that all doors are properly shut and the car can now be locked and the second is when a set amount of time has occurred and that the auto locks are deploying. Mine works just fine. But as mentioned, they will not lock if the passenger doors or the trunk are the last to be closed. That is why the rubber buttons or the remote must be used to lock the car. Why Mazda in its corporate wisdom has decided on this method is a mystery to me!

·
Registered
872 Posts
But as mentioned, they will not lock if the passenger doors or the trunk are the last to be closed. That is why the rubber buttons or the remote must be used to lock the car. Why Mazda in its corporate wisdom has decided on this method is a mystery to me!
Interesting. My US model will walk away lock regardless of which door is the last to be close, including the hatch.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting. My US model will walk away lock regardless of which door is the last to be close, including the hatch.
My European works the same way.....but it doesn't work 100% of the time. On occasion it doesn't beep when the last door is closed and thus doesn't lock the doors, I just haven't figured out why yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My European works the same way.....but it doesn't work 100% of the time. On occasion it doesn't beep when the last door is closed and thus doesn't lock the doors, I just haven't figured out why yet.
Bit of a long shot, but I'm assuming your engine isn't in iStop mode? I've noticed this once or twice when I forgot to switch off the ignition. Another reason could be when the key is left in a jacket / coat that is still inside the car?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bit of a long shot, but I'm assuming your engine isn't in iStop mode? I've noticed this once or twice when I forgot to switch off the ignition. Another reason could be when the key is left in a jacket / coat that is still inside the car?
Nope. iStop isn't activated and I always shutdown the engine...if I don't the HUD is still up (so that helps if I forget it).
No keys in the car.
I guess it's just one of those things...it works if I open and close a door. But I can't replicate it at will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my experience (USA model), I've found that if you (or rather, the key) are more than a foot or two from the car when the last door closes, it often will NOT auto-lock. In other words, for my car it doesn't matter which door is the last to close but only if ALL doors are closed while you are still within about a foot of the car will it auto-lock. If I'm in a hurry and walk away while giving the door a push to close it then it will often NOT auto-lock as I'm too far from the car when the door actually closes. Likewise, if I get out of the car before my daughter does, I need to stand next to the car until she gets out and closes her door because if I walk away before she gets out or closes her door, none of the doors will auto-lock.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In my experience (USA model), I've found that if you (or rather, the key) are more than a foot or two from the car when the last door closes, it often will NOT auto-lock. In other words, for my car it doesn't matter which door is the last to close but only if ALL doors are closed while you are still within about a foot of the car will it auto-lock. If I'm in a hurry and walk away while giving the door a push to close it then it will often NOT auto-lock as I'm too far from the car when the door actually closes. Likewise, if I get out of the car before my daughter does, I need to stand next to the car until she gets out and closes her door because if I walk away before she gets out or closes her door, none of the doors will auto-lock.
Same here.
That may be what's happening, except it happens when I'm right next to the door.
Maybe it's just the car thinking the key is out of range, even though it isn't. Poor reception maybe.

Anyway it doesn't happen too often, so I'm not worried.
I always listen for the two beeps (one for closing the last door and one for locking), if I'm unsure wether I heard the beeps I just lock the car with the remote.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I had the hardest time figuring out why mine would intermittently not work. I noticed that it was only when my wife was with me but not always when she was with me.

Then I realized she leaves her key in her purse and sometimes leaves the purse tucked under the passenger seat and just carries ID/CC/cash with her.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the hardest time figuring out why mine would intermittently not work. I noticed that it was only when my wife was with me but not always when she was with me.

Then I realized she leaves her key in her purse and sometimes leaves the purse tucked under the passenger seat and just carries ID/CC/cash with her.
Haha, that would do it! Wait, she takes her ID with her but not her towel? That's not very hoopy!

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Haha, that would do it! Wait, she takes her ID with her but not her towel? That's not very hoopy!
She's more of a pre-Zaphod Tricia McMillan than a Ford Prefect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback.
It seems others are having the same problem but not with much consistency.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts