• waiting a few years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wife is selling her 2003 Nissan Murano on Tuesday (09/08/15) to a friend. We've been working with a Mazda dealer for the past couple of weeks on a GT in Ceramic Silver so hoping to have a new CX3 in the garage within a week.

Have spent the last few weeks testing our several cars. Since our kids and grown and have their own cars, she doesn't need a big vehicle any longer. I have a 2014 VW Passat so if we need to lug some passengers around, we can go in my car.

These are the vehicles we either looked at and/or test drove. Surprising how some of the "small" suvs have grown in size over the past few years.

Mazda CX5 - went to Mazda to see this but she fell in love with the CX3 that was in the showroom. The CX5 wasn't that much smaller than our Murano.

Subaru Crosstrek - peppy little car but she didn't enjoy the cheap interior and the whine of the cvt on agressive driving. This was the car should would have gotten if we didnt test drive the cx3.

Honda HRV - OMG, boring, boring, boring and no "get up and go" and I test drove the manual transmission as well.

Hyundai Tucson - grew in size and pretty much close to our Murano but very, very nice looking inside and out.

Nissan Rogue - we parked our Murano side by side with the Rogue and it was higher and longer....wtf....and the drive was sluggish and boat feeling.

She didn't like the Rav 4 or the Ford Escape so we didn't even bother.

The CX3 was fun to drive, the interior was extremely nice for a car in this class. The rear passenger space was a little snug but thats ok because we relly wont be hauling people around.

In this segment, IMO, nothing looks hotter than a GT CX3 and drives as good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Subaru Crosstrek - peppy little car but she didn't enjoy the cheap interior and the whine of the cvt on agressive driving. This was the car should would have gotten if we didnt test drive the cx3.

Honda HRV - OMG, boring, boring, boring and no "get up and go" and I test drove the manual transmission as well.

The CX3 was fun to drive, the interior was extremely nice for a car in this class. The rear passenger space was a little snug but thats ok because we relly wont be hauling people around.
These are my top 3.

The Crosstrek, "Peppy"? It's the slowest of the 3 Yes, it's CVT is not as refined as the HRV's. Yes, compared to the others, it does have rather cheap looking materials and more hard plastics. I heard there was a refresh for the 2016 model coming soon, would address some issues I had with it. I might wait and consider it again.

HRV 'boring'? Compared to the other 3, I would go along with that...but I know for me, 95% of my driving is to and from work...all interstate and I'm just looking to get there in some comfort. I tend to like the smoother ride and am not one who particularly craves 'excitement'. Seemed like there was a little less wind noise than the other 2.

·
Registered
115 Posts
These are my top 3.

The Crosstrek, "Peppy"? It's the slowest of the 3 Yes, it's CVT is not as refined as the HRV's. Yes, compared to the others, it does have rather cheap looking materials and more hard plastics. I heard there was a refresh for the 2016 model coming soon, would address some issues I had with it. I might wait and consider it again.

HRV 'boring'? Compared to the other 3, I would go along with that...but I know for me, 95% of my driving is to and from work...all interstate and I'm just looking to get there in some comfort. I tend to like the smoother ride and am not one who particularly craves 'excitement'. Seemed like there was a little less wind noise than the other 2.
Sounds like the HRV might be for you.

In terms of comfort, I found the Mazdas seats extremely comfortable and better than the HRV. Now comfort for the rear passengers will definitely better in the HRV. The salesman that went along with me was 6'3" and fit perfectly fine in the back and I know he wouldn't be as comfortable in the CX3. The CX3s lower profile tries on the GT trim makes the ride just a little more sportier than the HRV.

Wife and I don't need to haul people around or lots of cargo. For us, the CX3 will fit the bill. We also prefer sportier feeling cars and the Honda wasnt that.

Got a meeting with the dealer tomorrow morning. Hope to have it this week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds like the HRV might be for you.

In terms of comfort, I found the Mazdas seats extremely comfortable and better than the HRV. Now comfort for the rear passengers will definitely better in the HRV. The salesman that went along with me was 6'3" and fit perfectly fine in the back and I know he wouldn't be as comfortable in the CX3. The CX3s lower profile tries on the GT trim makes the ride just a little more sportier than the HRV.

Wife and I don't need to haul people around or lots of cargo. For us, the CX3 will fit the bill. We also prefer sportier feeling cars and the Honda wasnt that.

Got a meeting with the dealer tomorrow morning. Hope to have it this week.
But seriously...the Crosstrek was "peppy"? I just wonder what you mean by that. I did not think it particularly slow but was showing my dad just today a review that had it slower 0 - 60 (if I remember right) than the cars it was being compared to: CX-3, HRV, A Jeep (forget which one) an American made car and one other.

·
Registered
115 Posts
But seriously...the Crosstrek was "peppy"? I just wonder what you mean by that. I did not think it particularly slow but was showing my dad just today a review that had it slower 0 - 60 (if I remember right) than the cars it was being compared to: CX-3, HRV, A Jeep (forget which one) an American made car and one other.
The wife test drove the Crosstrek while I was in the passenger seat. When she does test drives, she's pretty aggressive. She floored the car, took it through a few winding roads and really got on it. The Crosstrek scooted along pretty well although I did hear the CVT moan a lot.....as most CVTs do. Kind of strange that our Murano with the 3.5v6 and CVT didn't make so much noise compared to 4 cylinder cars and cvt.

That might have given off the impression that it was a little peppy.

As for the HRV, I drove the manual transmission version and that was slow. Specs are specs....on paper...but each car I drove might have given me a different impression that what magazine articles say. I guess thats why its so important to do test drives.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts