Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my CX-3 can't play video files on the infotainment centre. Looks like it needs software for a video player to play videos from the USB. Is there another way to play videos except through your android phone?

·
Registered
327 Posts
There's video around of a guy from Korea, I think, that hacked a video input into his as well as adding a bunch of other cool stuff. The guys in some of the Mazda 3 forums have been tinkering with these systems for a couple years now, so they may know more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. All the links I find relating to the video player, are in foreign languages that I don't understand. With the Mazda Media Player for Android, it works through my phone. But I would like for the system to read video files directly from the usb and not to have to keep the phone connected... How can one download and install a video player on the system?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't believe you can simply download a video player on there unless you can modify some existing one or build something for Mazda's system. I've seen YouTube videos of people putting Android on it, I guess it runs alongside Mazda's infotainment system.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There is a DVD option although I don't know if it is available for purchase. I'll try to find a PDF......

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a DVD option although I don't know if it is available for purchase. I'll try to find a PDF......
I've heard about this, but it seems like another region specific piece of kit. I haven't seen it available in the US in any of the literature anywhere, printed or online. In most areas here, it's illegal to have a screen showing video playback in any location within the driver's field of vision while the vehicle is moving. You can get around the law here by disabling the feature anytime the car is moving, I suppose. I believe that's how some aftermarket head units work that support video playback. Or that's how they're intended to work anyway. Workarounds to defeat those restrictions, I think, are fairly common.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Here you go

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all you comments and the pdf file. As far as I could read up it will anyway not play while driving - only when the vehicle is stationary.Will keep searching for a solution...

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
There are enough accidents with people messing with mobile phones let alone watching DVDs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I saw in that PDF that the parking brake also needs to be on for the DVD player to show video.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are enough accidents with people messing with mobile phones let alone watching DVDs.
I'll be blunt and say anyone who drives while there is a video playing in the driver's view is an idiot. As Anchorman says there are enough accidents and people killed due to idiots using mobile phones etc

·
Registered
237 Posts
In order to get around the video only playing when the hand brake is on, you simply would need to ground the handbrake cable and use a switch to flick it on and off, if you are pulled over by the police. The Japanese market has DVD players and they do a number of hacks, with plug and play kits to connect with mobile phones.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
In order to get around the video only playing when the hand brake is on, you simply would need to ground the handbrake cable and use a switch to flick it on and off, if you are pulled over by the police. The Japanese market has DVD players and they do a number of hacks, with plug and play kits to connect with mobile phones.
Well no actually there is the speed signal (the same one that kicks up the LED running lights) in addition to the parking brake feed. If Magda T is contemplating anything other than listening to a DVD then I really don't think that our moral obligations of a responsible forum should encourage it. I hope the speed input is "unhackable".

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll be blunt and say anyone who drives while there is a video playing in the driver's view is an idiot. As Anchorman says there are enough accidents and people killed due to idiots using mobile phones etc

Why would anybody be stupid to have video while driving!? why kids cant watch cartoons while driving!? the same thing is with navigation when you have to look at screen every few sec.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why would anybody be stupid to have video while driving!? why kids cant watch cartoons while driving!? the same thing is with navigation when you have to look at screen every few sec.
If kids want to watch cartoons then watch them in the back with headrest players / screens. The DVD is disabled from being used while moving for a very good reason. I stand by my comments.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You called people idiots if there is video playing in the drivers view. Why would they be idiots!? explain what could take their attention on the screen that so they make accident!? mind distraction from the road makes accidents. Screen is just a screen, radio makes distraction, nav also, all settings etc. Should we disable all that!? talking to passangers and codrivers makes a lot of distraction also, drinking coffe makes lot of accidents and still all manufactures makes space for drinks!

just my two cents

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
You called people idiots if there is video playing in the drivers view. Why would they be idiots!? explain what could take their attention on the screen that so they make accident!? mind distraction from the road makes accidents. Screen is just a screen, radio makes distraction, nav also, all settings etc. Should we disable all that!? talking to passangers and codrivers makes a lot of distraction also, drinking coffe makes lot of accidents and still all manufactures makes space for drinks!

just my two cents
It would take a lot of discipline to not get engrossed in watching a movie.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was used to having DVD's and videos playing in my VW and even my husband's new Hilux has the function. However, as said before, as soon as you release the handbrake, the image goes off and only the audio plays. The video image will only play while the vehicle is stationary with the handbrake on. So, having lots of music videos, I can at least have the audio play (as mp3) during driving while having the benefit of using the same files for video when stationary or at home or if my child has to wait in the car for whatever reason. Mazda South Africa said they would try to get the software for me as some other countries have the video option available in their CX-3's. But at this stage, I am still surfing the web for alternative options.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am also looking for an automatic door lock system as my CX-3 does not have this funtion. This is that the doors lock automatically when the car reaches a speed exceeding (usually 20km/h). I currently have to lock the doors manually. Again Mazda South Africa says they must order it... it is not standard because it is a "safety measure" that the doors are only locked on your decision/risk. Anyone have any advise?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts