Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife and I did some errands today and this is the first snowfall in Chicago.

Although its not a lot of snow, it handled extremely well considering I saw other cars slipping and sliding and since the temps were in the low 30s, some ice was forming in areas. One thing I did notice, that I did not like, was the rear defroster is weak. The whole time we were on the road, the rear window never truly defrosted but you could still see without a problem. Second thing I noticed was the position of the rear view camera is really close to the edge of the hatch and gets water droplets on it very easily. That doesn't happen on my Passat so im thinking about putting some rain-x on the lens. The third thing was how much snow gathers up under the wipers. Its like a trough under the wiper area.

If any of the tires were slipping, I couldn't tell at all although the wife wasn't driving aggressively and be very cautious.

One of the reasons why we chose AWD is because the way my alley is shaped. It's got a channel down the center for water flow to the sewer drain so the sides of the pavement are angled like a v. Problem is, the water sits there and turns into ice. This was the reason why I had to get rid of my Dodge Challenger. I had a hard time getting into the garage as my R/T didn't have limited slip differential and once I started to back in, the drive wheel would come of the ground and would spin.

So here's a short video of the CX coming down the alley and into the garage. I told the wife to go in slowly and let the car sit in that grove then go into it. In the video you can see some slippage on the right front tire but it didn't phase the CX and the wife didn't even notice it.

Once it snows more, I will post another video in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7nsNAYAYQ

EDIT: A quick video on some light ice. It was about 25 degrees. I told the wife just to hit the throttle and go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx08iglgmCY

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice to know the CX-3 handles well in the snow. Unfortunately (or fortunately), my wife's CX-3 will likely not see much snow here in Florida unless we drive to it.

I have noticed the issue with the rear view camera getting obscured by water droplets. My ATS' camera is positioned a bit more under the trunk lid and works fine in the rain. I'll have to try the Rain-X.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The original all season tires?
Yokohama?

Very curious how well they will handle -40 temperatures!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original all season tires?
Yokohama?

Very curious how well they will handle -40 temperatures!!
To be honest, I'm not convinced that they will handle that extreme cold but if I feel like the car is not performing well with the stock tires, I will head over to Firestone (5 min away from my house) or Costco and throw some Blizzaks or other snow tire on them.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Its a great lil winter ute.

I did add some rain x on the lens (I live in Seattle lol) and it has helped a bit. I have found myself running my thumb across it whenever I'm in/out out of the hatch to help keep it clear.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Brilliant. Thanks for taking the trouble to film it. We had our first skittering of snow and sub zero temperatures yesterday. By lunchtime, the snow had melted a little then promptly froze into a thin glacier on the whole length of my sloping drive. I've got my Yoko V905winter tyres on and while I literally couldn't walk down it but I couldn't phase that little motor no matter how I tried. It just stops and starts without any hesitation. Some sort of witchcraft at work I reckon. I'm looking forward to some proper snow at some stage.

That rear camera gets slated on every review of every make and model I've ever read but the whole back of the car gets filthy in minutes and there is no other place for a rear camera. I treat that as an aid to reversing and it doesn't take away the need to look or in our lucky case it seems, listen to the factory fitted parking sensors. If it's clean, brilliant. If it isn't, don't trust it.

On a slightly different subject but still relevant, I got the first ice warning yesterday. It comes on when the temperature drops below 4C or the equivalent in those funny units and is accompanied by a very noticeable chime, a flashing display for about 10 seconds and a snowflake reminder. Something for the Florida guys to look forward to in December!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anchorman, thanks for mentioning the chime/bong sound. I was in the passenger seat when I heard a sound but neither the wife or I knew what it was. I didn't realize the CX had that feature. I know my Passat has it when it drops below 36F....although I never checked to see if that was adjustable or not.

Guess I should spend a little more time reading the rest of the manual. I try to when she's she driving........buuuuuutttt.....SHES DRIVING..... :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Anchorman, thanks for mentioning the chime/bong sound. I was in the passenger seat when I heard a sound but neither the wife or I knew what it was. I didn't realize the CX had that feature. I know my Passat has it when it drops below 36F....although I never checked to see if that was adjustable or not.

Guess I should spend a little more time reading the rest of the manual. I try to when she's she driving........buuuuuutttt.....SHES DRIVING..... :D
We're all guilty of that :D

It's what has me thinking that car makers should have the manual available as an APP or something with a search function. Or just some way to make it even easier to delve into that information.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Yep we have E and F. What's that O with the line through it? Never seen that either.
Thats one of the options on the trip computer - average fuel consumption since last refill.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes it appears you Europeans love your symbols :D

It is interesting though because that symbol seems to exist among a bunch of other ones when you look closely at that area, but they don't light up.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I bet that ice warning only needs activating somewhere. It's quite a useful feature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts