Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help, help, music buffs ... BlueTooth via the iPhone isn't cutting it.

I reformatted an 8GB thumb drive to FAT32 with OSX Disk Utility, dragged a few mp3s onto the thumb drive ... no joy. "No Playable Files"

Please, please .. what is the latest Infotainment Update? What do I need to tell my dealer?

I keep reading David Ram's adventures "My Neighbors ... " But I'm not ready to commit to a hard-wired FLAC player.

EDIT: The last Infotainment TSB I saw was dated Sept. 9th, 2017 ... what version of what I need, I do not know.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have had luck with using drives formatted in NTFS format on the cx-3, formatting a drive on a mac might be slightly problematic since for somereason I have had some issues with usb drives formatted on mac, or linux(depending on the software used), working with other devices. Not sure exactly why but I am sure there is some cache allocation logic behind it which I do not feel like searching for lol. Try reformatting on another operating system and I would suggest avoiding chromebook drive utilities since that has had the biggest failure in compatibility for other systems.

-By compatibility failure I am referring to when you plug a reformatted drive into another system and it says "drive is corrupt" or something like that and wants you to reformat it all over.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm limited to the native Mac OS, and may have to wait until the Wizards of Hiroshima enable Apple CarPlay for North America.

So goes the Second-World struggle of the Apple oppressed. ;--)

Oh yeah, Apple CarPlay, you mean that "coming soon" that Mazda has been saying for years now. Perhaps our cars will be antiques first. :rolleyes:

Reactions: mainemanx

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, Apple CarPlay, you mean that "coming soon" that Mazda has been saying for years now. Perhaps our cars will be antiques first. :rolleyes:
It cannot be that difficult! Can it? :(

·
Registered
303 Posts
It cannot be that difficult! Can it? :(

The difficult part must be how they're going to justify the cash grab for the "retrofit" to previous models.
This has been dragging for so long that it appears to be a lie. What is "soon" is this industry ?
Purchased my CX-3 in October 2015; at that time I was assured it was available soon.:rolleyes:
So, should I believe anything coming out of Mazda now ?
It's not the availability that pisses me off - it's the ongoing bullshit of pretending it will be here.
Will be available back to 2014 models they say....

Must be so they can sell another unit when some tech bricks the out of warranty infotainment unit.

Losing faith in the brand . A simple issue, but as usual, the way a company communicates tells a lot about their intentions.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
The dragging their feet thing on the CarPlay update is annoying but I don't see it as being brand damaging (any more than the awful USDM armrest or historically awful lack of paint/rust durability).

I don't really see this as a cash grab since the roll-out announced elsewhere is about $250. Sure, it's not free but it does require a hardware upgrade and you can't expect them to give that away. If pre-sale promises were made by the sales staff, you have to take that up with the sales staff.

Regarding Mainemanx's USB issue: is the thumb drive USB 2.0 or 3.0?

·
Registered
451 Posts
C/net has just announced that Mazda will be including CarPlay and Android Auto next month in the present Mazda6 model (except the Sport model). It will be installed by the dealer including an upgraded 2.1 USB port with faster processing and charging speeds. Then in November with every Mazda6 sold the upgrades will be already installed.

It will be available for all Mazda vehicles from 2014 to the present, according to Mazda sources:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/31/mazda-carplay-september/

About the mess on thumb drives when formatted in a Mac, there are a few utilities that will remove the crap that is on the drive that makes it incompatible with other machines. I use one called "Hidden Cleaner 2.1." It can be downloaded from MacUpdate free.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I expect that once the part numbers for the hardware are found and the firmware is leaked, we'll have people doing the upgrade themselves.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all! Success!

16gb SanDisk, 2.0 USB, Mac OSX Disk Utility reformatted to FAT32 ... everything normal till here. I was never able to get a clean copy of Hidden Cleaner ... every copy I found was corrupt. However, today I stumbled across its supposed replacement HiM. It worked like a charm (as we said in the 50s :) ... all is good √

Now on to CarPlay ;-)

Reactions: Dean
1 - 10 of 10 Posts