Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for this topic and didn't see any results. Has anyone heard if there may be a turbo from Mazda that could be installed and still maintain warrantee? Or performance/HP upgrades?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm sure you can get aftermarket parts, but I don't think there is a Mazda turbocharger you can just buy and add to the CX-3. if they made it, they would've released a turbo version of the CX-3.

I'm personally happy with the performance of the CX-3, its a great city car and I can zip through traffic with ease.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I searched the forum for this topic and didn't see any results. Has anyone heard if there may be a turbo from Mazda that could be installed and still maintain warrantee? Or performance/HP upgrades?
Short version is, no, good luck with that. Nobody does that kind of thing anymore, mostly because of emissions standards/requirements.

Longer version: In the US, anyway, I have not heard of any automakers offering engine tune-up parts for a long time now except for simple things like cold air intakes or dressed up mufflers/tailpipes. Even the Big 3 in Detroit don't do this anymore like they used to. Dodge was historically probably the best at selling factory stage 1-3 performance upgrade kits, but even there I don't recall any instances of added forced induction to a car that was factory built as naturally aspirated. I could be wrong on that, but I don't remember ever seeing it. There are still big crate engines from the Big 3 available that all ship with factory warranties if that's your thing, but then you're talking about a whole engine swap, big money, and potential issues with emissions or registration. Some places don't allow you to do an engine swap except under a limited set of circumstances (original engine damaged, hobbyist/collector cars that don't have emissions requirements, etc.) Basically, if you want a car with forced induction, you'll need to buy it built that way from the factory or go aftermarket and hope for the best.

·
Registered
272 Posts
- Mazda would never release an turbo kit for this car (or any other, for that matter). It would definitely come pre-built (i.e. Mazda Speed version.)

- You will never maintain warranty with any turbo kit, no matter which automaker you purchase from.

If you are power hungry you are probably better off with another vehicle IMHO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I guess I was hoping they had a turbo version in another country or one in development.
though unlikely, a mazda speed version is not completely impossible. that's the best chance of getting a forced induction version of this vehicle.

But you'd likely see a Mazda Speed 3 first before a CX-3 gets consideration from Mazda.

just my $0.02

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm sure you can get aftermarket parts, but I don't think there is a Mazda turbocharger you can just buy and add to the CX-3. if they made it, they would've released a turbo version of the CX-3.

I'm personally happy with the performance of the CX-3, its a great city car and I can zip through traffic with ease.
I almost choked when I read this. Half the world has the turbocharged version of the CX3. This is one of the rare times that the world can actually pitty the American market for having less to offer than the rest of the world. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I almost choked when I read this. Half the world has the turbocharged version of the CX3. This is one of the rare times that the world can actually pitty the American market for having less to offer than the rest of the world. :D
Which markets have a petrol turbo CX-3 or did I read your post incorrectly?

·
Registered
137 Posts
No one mentioned a turbocharged petrol version of the CX-3 :)

A CX-3 turbo diesel is a CX-3, regardless of the type of fuel it burns.
Perhaps but seeing as there doesn't appear to be a diesel CX-3 that is NOT a turbo, I would assume that the original poster was asking about an add on turbo for the petrol version.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The turbo diesel is still less powerful than the non turbo petrol version hahaha

But yeah the whole thing was about a more powerful turbocharged petrol version, that's why I didn't specify what I was talking about. I'm pretty sure these turbo diesel versions are made for fuel economy, not power. They're similar to hybrid cars that are popular in US.

I honestly doubt even 5% of current US CX-3 owners would even be remotely interested in an even more underpowered version of this car lol, so no need to pity us for not having the turbo diesel version :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Greaseman, mine diesel in everday use is sporty car just as yours. your car is 9.6, while mine turbo diesel is 10.1. I have 40% more torque than you with only 105 hp. Belive me that diesel version in some cases is maybe faster then us version. With diesel i had 4 persons in car and going uphill and car had no problem going 170 km/h in sixth gear on 2900 revs per minute. I doubt that petrol version could do that. Ive tried both and diesel seems much ligter and faster when on role

·
Registered
237 Posts
The turbo diesel is still less powerful than the non turbo petrol version hahaha

But yeah the whole thing was about a more powerful turbocharged petrol version, that's why I didn't specify what I was talking about. I'm pretty sure these turbo diesel versions are made for fuel economy, not power. They're similar to hybrid cars that are popular in US.

I honestly doubt even 5% of current US CX-3 owners would even be remotely interested in an even more underpowered version of this car lol, so no need to pity us for not having the turbo diesel version :)
Have you ever driven a diesel turbo CX-3? I have driven both variants, and like others who have posted on this forum, the usable power band of the diesel turbo on top of the fact that it is superior in fuel economy, is why I chose to order one.

Your reference to power can only refer to peak power of approx 109kw @ 6000rpm in comparison to 77kw at 4000rpm for the diesel turbo. The diesel turbo trounces the petrol engine in torque though, and the petrol engine only develops peak torque at 4000rpm. I would be lucky to see 4000rpm on my daily commutes, as there simply is no need.

The diesel turbo produces 270nm standard between 1600rpm - 2500rpm depending on load. In comparison, The petrol engine produces 192nm at 2800rpm.

When the diesel turbo is chipped for the measly amount of $300, then at 99kw, the torque increases to approximately 330nm @ 2500rpm. You will never see an increase in torque of that magnitude from any form of ecu management on the petrol motor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not one person had addressed your point, however I am correcting your inability to see that I had commented on Greaseman85's post. Are we done here?
We are done except for the point that Greaseman was talking about the petrol version and not the diesel. You then piped up about the diesel which is obviously the source of my confusion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts