Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

I'm driving the CX-3 GS and am having trouble with my transmission. In automatic, when slowing down from any speed in 6th gear to say 25km/h, my transmission does not want to downshift to the appropriate gear, I would assume should be 3rd or maybe even 2nd. Then, when i try to accelerate again, it stays in 6th gear, shutters, gobbles up whole whack of fuel while slowly accelerating to a 6th gear speed. Also, it does the opposite when I'm driving up a steep hill - I get to the top and as I continue to speed up over the crest it refuses to shift up to the next gear and just continues to rev at 4000-5000rpm.

My solution to the problem is when I notice its not going to shift, i pop it in to manual and manually shift to the appropriate gear. I have taken it to my dealer a couple times and they claim nothing is wrong. It also generally revs pretty high on acceleration but I'm guessing this is normal for such a little engine.

Maybe someone can offer some advice as to what I should ask the dealer to look into or anything I can do at home.

Thank you!!

~ephil

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
If I come from a downhill to uphill grade and then ease on the power, it seems late to change up but that I believe is intentional in order to eliminate any rough changes as it goes from overrun to power. The changing up I would have to listen to. They are programmed to get up the box as it saves money and emissions. Some drivers like to rev an engine and it seems like it is labouring to them. If that really is the case then I'm more inclined to suspect an ECU programme fault rather than the box itself.

Maybe a ride in another similar model could be arranged with your dealer?

·
Registered
256 Posts
So it stays in 6th all the way down to 25 km/h?
If that's the case, I would bet something is wrong (most likely the ECU as anchorman says). Mine downshifts clearly down through the gears when I'm slowing down, eventually staying in 2nd unless I come to a complete stop.
Mine will stay in 6th down to 50 Km/, lower than that it will go into 5th (and so on). And at 50Km/h in 6th it runs at about 1100-1200 rpm (+/-), if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes i agree with santa above. Sound wery strange that the gear stays in 6th all the way down to 25km/h. It does not sound normal to me.
You should test drive another cx3 and compare it with yours, just like anchorman suggested.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Sounds like you need to take a dealer tech for a ride along.

Is the behavior any different in "Sport" mode?

Only sort of related but in my USDM car I don't have to throw the shifter into "M" to use the paddles. The gearbox responds to the paddles even in automatic "D".

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like you need to take a dealer tech for a ride along.

Is the behavior any different in "Sport" mode?

Only sort of related but in my USDM car I don't have to throw the shifter into "M" to use the paddles. The gearbox responds to the paddles even in automatic "D".

paddle shifters also work in "D" on the CX-3 - adds to the fun :)

zoom-zoom

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts