Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here in the US, I'd heed Snoogie's excellent advice and not even bother putting a hitch on the car, even if only for a bike rack. The conversation in this thread sort of reminds me of a ballgame I got into with three separate Honda dealers back in 2006 when I had my Pilot. I wanted to put a hitch on the Pilot for the sole purpose of attaching a Yakima bike rack to it. No intention whatsoever of towing anything, even a golf bag. So anyway, I come to find out that if a hitch goes on, it must also be accompanied by the installation of a transmission cooler and power steering fluid cooler lines. Total cost of about three thousand dollars! Back to the point, the service manager at each dealership stated emphatically that if any drivetrain issue arises (and Honda's back then were well known for flaky automatic transmissions), the appearance of a hitch (or evidence that there WAS a hitch attached at one time) with no tranny or PS cooler lines would be an immediate warranty rejection. I was told that Honda would assume I towed the USS Sequoia or something similar. Bottom line is I wouldn't (and didn't) take that risk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive towed with my 2019 CX3 (trailers, kayaks, jetski, small boat) without any issues for over 1 year.... Even drove my Hobie Kayaks on a trailer on a 1000 mile trip.
20200601_191225.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in the US, I'd heed Snoogie's excellent advice and not even bother putting a hitch on the car, even if only for a bike rack. The conversation in this thread sort of reminds me of a ballgame I got into with three separate Honda dealers back in 2006 when I had my Pilot. I wanted to put a hitch on the Pilot for the sole purpose of attaching a Yakima bike rack to it. No intention whatsoever of towing anything, even a golf bag. So anyway, I come to find out that if a hitch goes on, it must also be accompanied by the installation of a transmission cooler and power steering fluid cooler lines. Total cost of about three thousand dollars! Back to the point, the service manager at each dealership stated emphatically that if any drivetrain issue arises (and Honda's back then were well known for flaky automatic transmissions), the appearance of a hitch (or evidence that there WAS a hitch attached at one time) with no tranny or PS cooler lines would be an immediate warranty rejection. I was told that Honda would assume I towed the USS Sequoia or something similar. Bottom line is I wouldn't (and didn't) take that risk.
Whether Honda had shitty customer service or not is another question. But if they wanted to void warranty with transmission issues because of a hitch install - they would have to prove that the hitch install caused the failure. In US there is federal law that states you can perform your own maintenance and modifications and if something goes wrong the manufacture has to prove what you did caused the failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Saint152,
Can you tell me how you have your wiring done?

Saint152,
Can you tell me how you have your wiring done?
Thanks,
LT
Bought a plug and play wiring harness... plugged into my left and right factory tailight harness.. took me 20 minutes.. added a 4 pin harness bracket under the bumper.. works great!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts