Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
DO they make hitches for the 3? I figure it has more power (esp. the 2.5) than the 2 or cx3. The only limitation would be the height available? I wouldn't mind being able to hitch a light trailer to the back to load up my motorcycle. The bike is less than 400lbs. No idea how much the flat trailers for them weigh though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
DO they make hitches for the 3? I figure it has more power (esp. the 2.5) than the 2 or cx3. The only limitation would be the height available? I wouldn't mind being able to hitch a light trailer to the back to load up my motorcycle. The bike is less than 400lbs. No idea how much the flat trailers for them weigh though.
Yes. etrailer lists several makes. I had a hitch on my 122hp Protege. No problems up to a 1000lbs

Go to Mazda.com.au for trailer pulling and lots of other specs. Mazda 3 is listed at 600 kilos (1320 lbs) unbraked and twice that with trailer brakes, about the same as the CX-3.
2 and 2.5liter 3s are rated the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone found the T-connector trailer wiring for the CX-3 yet? Curt says they don't have one yet. Any other sources? I haven't been able to find one. Really want to get the hitch and wiring soon for my Aluma trailer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I checked on e trailer but they don't seem to have a print out on instructions on there web page yet.
It just did not show up on my I pad but does on the computer.I don't live far from e trailer and may have them install one.I won't buy a curt because you have to add a strap from your bike rack to your vehicle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go to Mazda.com.au for trailer pulling and lots of other specs. Mazda 3 is listed at 600 kilos (1320 lbs) unbraked and twice that with trailer brakes, about the same as the CX-3.
2 and 2.5liter 3s are rated the same.
Just had a check of the US Mazda site and I am confused as to why Mazda US doesn't have a towbar listed when they do in Australia, NZ, and the UK. Is there a legal or cultural reason?

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
E-trailer now has the T-connector in stock so I ordered both the Curt hitch and wiring today.
2016 Mazda CX-3 Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Curt
I just bought this kit as well, and I was wondering if you have any tips on the wiring. It seems simple enough, but did you have to power the trailer connector from the battery, and if so how did you route the cable to the engine bay??

·
Registered
144 Posts
Would installing a trailer hitch cause a voided warranty; in view of their clear instructions against towing?

My Impreza was the same way; you could get it with a factory hitch in some countries, but in others it was forbidden.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
Would installing a trailer hitch cause a voided warranty; in view of their clear instructions against towing?

My Impreza was the same way; you could get it with a factory hitch in some countries, but in others it was forbidden.
It should not void your warranty. The main reason I am getting one is to be able to use my bike rack. I am doing the wiring just in case I ever need to tow a small motorcycle trailer. Mazda does not advise towing for the CX-3 (ridiculous really), but you can use the hitch for a bike rack and be safe with your warranty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Installing a hitch for purposes like using it as a bike rack does not void the warranty. Although if there is evidence that it was used to tow anything that isn't allowed then you may be denied warranty claims for affected components (i.e transmission, transfer case, differential, etc.). So do keep that in mind also this applies to US CX3s as almost everywhere else in the world there are tow ratings (i.e Japan is something like 1500-2000lbs I think. Someone double check that for me.).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Installing a hitch for purposes like using it as a bike rack does not void the warranty. Although if there is evidence that it was used to tow anything that isn't allowed then you may be denied warranty claims for affected components (i.e transmission, transfer case, differential, etc.). So do keep that in mind also this applies to US CX3s as almost everywhere else in the world there are tow ratings (i.e Japan is something like 1500-2000lbs I think. Someone double check that for me.).
All I want to tow is a 900 pound boat in the US. Issues?

·
Registered
234 Posts
On your own discretion you can. Just keep in mind that if issues arise for your drive-train components and there is proof or you admit to using it for towing purposes that you may be denied warranty work. The normal process for this is when a component breaks, in order for a warranty claim to be processed proof has to be shown (via pictures) that the component failed under normal use to Mazda corp. They then will determine whether or not the work will be warrantied or not. So I say this again, anyone is free to do what they want to their vehicle (ex. lowering, turbo, aftermarket components) just that it will void warranties and also this falls on whether or not it is legal in install but that's a different matter. Hope this helps buddy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear cx3 owners. Here is Canada, Mazda does not recommend any towing with the cx3. I downloaded a brochure from Mazda Australia and it is stating that it can tow up to 1200 kg (braked trailer) !!!! That is a lot for such a small vehicule. Petrol engine and transmission gear ratios are the same as what is sold in Canada. What can explain this ? Can Australian models be fitted with a transmission oil cooler ?? Has one of you towed such weight??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts