Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Towbar

15K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tlight 
#1 ·
After several months of happy ownership I started using the genuine Mazda towbar that was fitted when we bought the car. Hooked up the trailer, plugged it into the floating harness that resides with the spare tyre, checked the lights, and proceeded to go about my business. Problem came when I put the car in reverse and the sensors went nuts telling me there was something behind my car.

Given that I have had a number of other cars with rear sensors and a towbar, this was obviously a fault. The other cars sense the connection of the taillight circuit and then disable the sensors.

Anyway went off to the dealer today and was told I need to buy another part (harness and switch) and pay to have it fitted. The end result, according to the Service Manager, will be a switch located in the boot (trunk) area which I will have to manually switch each time I connect the trailer. First World problem I know, however it seems a bit daft for a company that promotes innovation to resort to such a basic solution, assuming that the service person is correct.

My question is for those who have a towbar on their CX-3. Do your rear sensors turn off when the trailer is connected or do they drive you mad as well when you reverse?

See less See more
#2 ·
I know that the genuine RAV4 wiring kits have a switch in the trunk.

#4 ·
As a follow-up, I have now spoken to Mazda Australia (Christmas Eve) and it seems the integration of the rear parking sensors with the tow bar (hitch) is automatic and hence seamless in operation. This is achieved by the integration of the separate special harness part which was omitted when mine was fitted before delivery. I was also informed that it is meant to be included with the tow bar kit so for any Aussie buyers who have a towbar please check that the sensors silence themselves when a trailer is connected and, if not, head back to your dealer.

#3 ·
I read in the manual that if you are pulling a trailer, or have added an accessory such as a bicycle carrier. Then you have to turn of the RCTA system (Rear Cross Traffic Alert), as it wont operate properly!

#6 · (Edited)
Mazda Australia rang the dealership on my behalf and informed them that it was part of the kit and it should have been fitted prior to delivery. When I went to have it fitted I was met will an apology for asking me to pay in the earlier visit. It took about 1.5 hours to fit and it automatically shuts off the sensors when the trailer is plugged into the car.

#8 ·
I have the part number somewhere, so I will chase it up and get back to you. I originally sent Mazda Australia an email via the Contact area on their website. Anyway I will chase down the paper work and let you know.

#9 ·
Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look tonight. Unfortunately don't have the part number however it says it is a harness that costs $40.50 ex Melbourne plus fitting. I thought I had jotted down the Mazda Australia guy's name but can't find that either. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

#10 ·
Thanks for your assistance on the matter! I'm almost at a resolution with Mazda

Took my CX-3 to the service department at my dealer early this morning and explained the issue once again.

I returned this afternoon without receiving so much as a phone call (a good sign or so I believed...) only to be told 'there was nothing that they could do'. The customer service rep who I had been dealing with explained they had come to the conclusion 'no such patch exists for the CX-3' and that the service techs had torn down the back of the vehicle (a nightmare in itself) to have a look at the parking sensors and that 'there isn't even a connector for a patch lead to be fitted'. The only comment made when I produced a transcript of this forum is that 'on other sites there is info stating no such patch exists' hence there is evidence for both sides.

I politely asked if there was anyone at Mazda Australia they could speak to - referencing that's what it took previously for the issue above to be resolved - and was told the only way I would get anything done about it was if I called them myself. Taking matters in to my own hands (again) I gave Mazda Australia another call from the parking lot of the service department, and explained I'd spoken to them on a previous occasion but really needed to speak to someone who knew what they were talking about. I spoke to a lovely girl named Briony and after some time on hold she confirmed that I was correct and that the patch does in fact exist (well, duh?). She wouldn't give me a part number (was told she couldn't) but at my request gave the dealership a call to explain

Ten minutes later I was able to walk back into the service department and see that they were ordering the part for my vehicle. Not one hint of an apology, but I was simply told 'it's a part they've never seen before' and that it should be in before the end of the week. When I head back I'll see if I can grab a part number to assist anyone that might be in the same situation but no promises as they appear to be very protective of these numbers.

Can't believe the dismal level of service I have received first at the initial fitting, from the dealership & the first time I spoke to Mazda Australia. Glad to be on the way to having this all resolved but at the end I'm going to be sending Mazda Australia a really disappointed message explaining what a waste of time and hassle this has been. I expected more on a new car from a top tier manufacturer

#12 · (Edited)
Just a quick update for anyone that might be following along or encounters the same issue. Had my car back at the dealer yesterday and finally was able to get the parking sensors silenced! Works like a charm, when the cover on the trailer connector is open, the absence of a magnet in the lid of the cover opens/closes a circuit that silences the sensors. Interestingly, it's the same cable in the boot as was there before, apparently they part they installed yesterday is located somewhere else along the line.

I've attached the job sheet as a reference for anyone that might face the same issue. Looks like the part numbers are MZDAPSPHARNA (looks like this could be a generic code however) for the patch harness and D11TBTWH for the wiring harness. I've left the vehicle details visible so that you may ask them to look up my job in their centralised system as a reference - no excuses from any more dealers. Can't understand why my vehicle's listed as a Mazda 3 6sp Manual Sedan as it's definitely a CX-3 but that's a problem for another day

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Attachments

#11 ·
Without going into details I had to call Mazda on a update on my head unit where the dealer said there was no update.I did not want to hijack your thread and I commend you for not just taking the dealers word on it.
It's sad that people have to go thru this with the dealer,thank goodness for Mazda getting this straight.Just think on how many people take the dealers word for it and just get messed around.

#13 ·
Dear cx3 owner. Here is Canada Mazda does not recommend any towing with the cx3. I downloaded a brochure from Mazda Australia and it is stating that it can tow up to 1200 kg (braked trailer) !!!! That is a lot for such a small vehicule. Petrol engine and transmission gear ratios are the same what can explain this ? Can Australian models be fitted with a transmission oil cooler ?? Has one of you towed such weight??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.