Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have fitted (original) trailer hitch? have pictures or other material about the installation?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Cyclone 1410 and JordanWallace had them fitted. Maybe they will comment or better still, have the fitting instructions.

Snoogie, is there a Mazda website for fitting instructions? Toyota publish and give free access to theirs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unfortunately here in the US we don't have an OEM trailer hitch for the CX 3 as in the states we are "technically" not allowed to tow (US regulation and safety nonsense) so unfortunately I dont have any info or manuals on installation. It might be identical to the installation of the CX 5 trailer hitches which requires the removal of the rear muffler and such. Sorry I'm not much help here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought the Curt hitch and wiring kit, haven't put it on yet but it looks pretty simple. I might have it professionally installed though because then the wiring will look nicer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Unfortunately here in the US we don't have an OEM trailer hitch for the CX 3 as in the states we are "technically" not allowed to tow (US regulation and safety nonsense) so unfortunately I dont have any info or manuals on installation. It might be identical to the installation of the CX 5 trailer hitches which requires the removal of the rear muffler and such. Sorry I'm not much help here.

Perhaps it's the same as the "accessory hitch" ? , which, of course, in North America is not to be used for towing of any kind.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Perhaps it's the same as the "accessory hitch" ? , which, of course, in North America is not to be used for towing of any kind.
Gee, and I thought it was my car ;)

I would assume if you abuse it, OK, Mazda would understandably balk at honoring the warranty. Otherwise you shoud be OK, and the burden would be on the manufacturer to show unreasonable use.

Today I installed the Curt, along with a "European Ball," mainly as rear bumper protection ... 'though someday we may also mount a bicycle rack.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Gee, and I thought it was my car ;)

I would assume if you abuse it, OK, Mazda would understandably balk at honoring the warranty. Otherwise you shoud be OK, and the burden would be on the manufacturer to show unreasonable use.

Today I installed the Curt, along with a "European Ball," mainly as rear bumper protection ... 'though someday we may also mount a bicycle rack.
I believe with the curt if you install a bike rack they want a strap from the rack to the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are racks that can handle your bike with a hitch.Nice bike!
Oops ... I changed the link to my actual model ... modified "back in the day" to all Shimano XT ... mine XL, hers small.

Suggestions on a rack?

BTW, here's a jpg that shows the roof rails, mudguards, rear garnish ... and the hitch (New England autumn, late afternoon sun :)

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought I saw instructions for removing trunk upholstery panels but can't find it. Or maybe i remember wrong.
I'll start installing tow bar tomorrow if it's a rainy day and I need to remove side panels inside the trunk to get access to wiring.

I read through the instruction for disconnecting / connecting the battery and it seems to require all sorts of voodoo.
I think I'll just remove all rear light related fuses before any electrical work...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I thought I saw instructions for removing trunk upholstery panels but can't find it. Or maybe i remember wrong.
I'll start installing tow bar tomorrow if it's a rainy day and I need to remove side panels inside the trunk to get access to wiring.

I read through the instruction for disconnecting / connecting the battery and it seems to require all sorts of voodoo.
I think I'll just remove all rear light related fuses before any electrical work...
I got the tow bar and electrics all done.

There was no need to remove the trunk side panels entirely.
There are connectors for rear fog light and parking censors on the left corner. When the bumper is detached you can reach them and disconnect them before removing the bumper.

Few photos if anyone is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
curt and draw tite only fit and maybe 2017 without major modifiction , bought a curt for my 2018 and had to modify rear bumper suports to fit it, called curt and no responce

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the tow bar and electrics all done.

There was no need to remove the trunk side panels entirely.
There are connectors for rear fog light and parking censors on the left corner. When the bumper is detached you can reach them and disconnect them before removing the bumper.

Few photos if anyone is interested.
which brand of hitch is this ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts