Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

To Tint or not to tint

31K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  RadoMark408 
#1 ·
There are certain cars that look cheesy with tinted windows(especially those with a classic looking front grill)and other cars that look really good tinted. Is there anyone here that has tinted the windows in their cx3 and regretted it? Any pictures if your tint job you can show me?

#3 ·
I had the same thoughts but in the end love my tint.

40% ASWF Excel IRP which is a ceramic tint and if i believe all the testing and has extremely good heat rejection.

Its 40% as the base factory Mazda tint is now higher than in previous models.

Hot but cloudy day so may look a bit darker than it would on a sunny day.

#10 ·
I wanted to get the hatch window tinted so that people couldn't see what I was hauling. I live in Chicago and people don't hesitate to break into cars. And unfortunately Chicago has some very strict laws on window tinting. I wanted to get 35% tint on all windows. To me a universal tint all around makes the car look more balanced plus too much tint detracts from the car's appearance, in my opinion. But the dealer recommended 20% on the rear passenger and back window and 50% on the fronts so that they match all the other SUVs on the road. It wasn't exactly what I wanted but I didn't want to risk a $250 ticket for illegal tinting.

#12 · (Edited)
Ours is tinted to AZ state standards (as dark as they will allow). Looks awesome, especially with the dark color our car is! One word of advice. Make sure if you live in a hot climate (lots of sun), make sure to have a windshield strip put on. Install strip to bottom of dark patch on windshield (9 inches). Looks great but most important it really helps visibility driving into the sun! Ours did not come with that and I noticed the problem very quickly and added it. Big help!!!

#17 ·
Thanks @ghmpm I will have to have a look into doing this, I am a ginger and I the darker I can make my car the happier my skin is haha. I got the dealership to throw in the Mazda Mobile Start system, it is basically a remote starter that works from my cell phone. I park a good distance away from my Condo so I went down that road instead of the Key fob starter, Where I live the Winters can be brutal so it was a very good convenience for me.

Reactions: Dean
#18 ·
Ah OK now I get it, it was an available option but for me living in Arizona plus not having a smart phone... Did not deem it necessary!!! >:) And no I do not think a tint strip would interfere in any way!

#21 ·
Here in Wisconsin, we're not allowed to add any tint to the windshield, not even the strip at the top. It can come pre-tinted from the factory, but we can't add anything.

#22 ·
Perhaps someone can catch me up to date on laws in Ontario Canada. It used to be that many cars used to have the tint strip on the windshield with the car make or model ("Dodge," "Ford," "Camaro," etc.) showing through the tint. I have not seen any cars in Ontario in the past several years with the strip installed so I am wondering if it is even legal any more.

#27 ·
I have not had mine tinted yet but am considering it particularly because I have have had dermatologists slice my face up a few times to remove suspicious looking nasty things a number of times. However, someone told me that the glass as it comes from the factory removes most of the UV rays before one applies tint. I don't know. I would really like to find definitive information on the subject before making the decision. I can't find any reference to the UV filtering in the owners manual.

The thing is, I really don't share the admiration of a tinted car. To me it looks like a "pimpmobile" or a gangster's special ride. I like to actually see people and be able to wave in greeting from time to time.

By the way, I went ahead and had stone-chip film applied to the hood, headlights and rearview mirrors (don't want to have rocks spoil the pristine look of the Soul Red Mazda paint!)

#33 ·
I finally got it done.

20% tint - the lighting is hard to see with a photo.

I'm really happy how it turned out on the rear window.
It no longer has that "little window" inside the big window look.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.