Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Konig's are being delivered today in Buffalo according to tracking and I'll make my way there tomorrow to get them (too bad the weather sucks today otherwise I would go now).

Been thinking tires now and it looks like I'm going with a Kumho PS31 tire:

ECSTA PS31 - Kumho Tire Canada, Inc.

Price is decent and seeing the type of car it's going on it will be a decent tire. I might even go with the same tire (different size though) on the other wheel set for the SX4.

Tire rack has a video comparing this tire to other comparable tires and even though according to them it came third out of the 4 tires tested again for the type of car they're going on it should work fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldNk7qP1Pg

Tony

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not going with Extreme Performance tires so ultra high performance is perfect for this car and the other one, besides I run winter wheels and tires so come spring nothing wrong with a dedicated summer tire for decent grip in dry and wet weather and this tire according to Tirerack only did ok compared to the other ultra high performance tires tested.

Since the wife drives the CX-3 more than I do the Kumho should be fine for her car. I'm actually contemplating maybe doing the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tire for my SX4 (the tire that came first in the Tirerack test). I would take the Suzuki to my alignment guy and get the car setup with a performance alignment (more -camber in the front) and do some urethane bushings on the sway bars if I put that Firestone tire on to have some fun with my car.

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires are mounted on the Konig's, they look pretty good but the 50 series sidewall did look a little tall than what I was expecting so I will have to get it on the car to really gauge it.

Cool thing is 2 wheel/tire assemblies didn't need any weights to balance. I watched the guy do it, he spun it up and it showed 0. Not too often that happens the other 2 wheels needed 1oz and 1.25oz to balance (still quite acceptable using stick on weights, nothing I hate more than to see a stupid row of stick on weights like 3oz. or more to balance).

Once they go on and I'm driving on them I will see if the balancing is ok or not (no reason they wouldn't be).

Now back in the basement, gonna clean them up and slime the sidewalls of the tires to make them look purty then spring needs to get here so they can go on.

· Registered
222 Posts
Kumho Ecsta are a good choice.

have had them on a number of cars and they are great value high performance tyres.

If they add a bit of extra corner bite to the CX3 that would be great.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with them.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
I just picked up a new set of Hankook Ventus R-S3 in 245/40-18 for my RX-8 ($115 each!). Since Hankook is bringing in the new R-S4, the older R-S3 are a screaming deal right now. Not many sizes good for the CX-3 but if anybody wants a good tire summer tire for another car, this is hard to pass up.

Regarding having ultra grippy summer tires on a non-performance car:
Every accident avoidance maneuver is limited by two major things:
  1. Human reaction time
  2. Coefficient of friction
It's a lot of work to improve the first one but the second one can be improved simply by choosing stickier tires.

Regardless of trade-offs and priorities in comfort and 4-season usability, picking the right tire is very important.

Reactions: dmac5660

· Registered
747 Posts
Yeah LOL when I have time I'll straighten out that area of my basement. The other side is where I hang out most exercise area, big screen and home theatre is there very cozy and actually sorted out hehehe.
Man cave ... looks tickety-boo, all tidy to me :)

· Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So in the near future these tires are going to be mounted up on the CX-3.

Just wondering what tire pressures I should run on the car.

We all know stock tire pressure for the car is 36F 33R, would I run the same with these 235/50/17 tires or should I drop it down a couple psi?

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I would run them at the same as the stock 17 inch wheels and monitor the tread wear carefully. Excess wear on the middle means too much and on the edges (allowing for a little steering scrub) means to little. I think they will be fine but just wise to watch for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.