Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone.

Does anybody know how wide you can go with tires without any rubbing or issues?

Winter is showing one of mother nature's storms here today in the Northeast and I am going to need new tires shortly. Last time I got my oil change was roughly 3 months or so ago and my tires during then read 6 on the tread depth reader all around. They are the original Yokohama Avid 215/50/18's with 35,000 miles on them. I would like to go wider if possible, I am currently running 18x8 Konig Oversteer rims. Stock rim's I believe are 18x7.5

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running 235/50R18. Lock to lock on the front is VERY tight. It's a bit taller of a tire, too. I'm willing to bet someone's got a shorter 245 on there.
Wow WebDevDan,

That is tight! And no rubbing issues?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Everyone.

Does anybody know how wide you can go with tires without any rubbing or issues?

Winter is showing one of mother nature's storms here today in the Northeast and I am going to need new tires shortly. Last time I got my oil change was roughly 3 months or so ago and my tires during then read 6 on the tread depth reader all around. They are the original Yokohama Avid 215/50/18's with 35,000 miles on them. I would like to go wider if possible, I am currently running 18x8 Konig Oversteer rims. Stock rim's I believe are 18x7.5

Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Regarding tires accdg to the store mngr of a local tire shop in my area a good rule of thumb is to only deviate 3% from the original OEM tire and wheel specs. When you go over the 3% (overall diameter, width, sidewall, etc.) that is when it affects or alters the actual speed (revs per mile changes), the parameters on the AWD system (if equipped), the handling and the allowance on the movement of the suspension and steering (which may avoid damage to both tire and wheel wells or suspension. I would suggest using a tire size calculator comparison tool like this: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm running 235/50R18. Lock to lock on the front is VERY tight. It's a bit taller of a tire, too. I'm willing to bet someone's got a shorter 245 on there.
Wow WebDevDan,

Things get a little freaky when it snows, but otherwise nothing. Sometimes the snow gets all smushed up around it and it'll rub that, but then it just flings it off. I really need mud flaps though, 'cuz they're wide enough to send it all up the side.

I first had them put on in November and there was some ice buildup in the front of the front wheel well. The guy test fit one and was like "It's rubbing at lock". I was very surprised, went out, looked... And knocked the ice off the inner fender liner. "It ain't rubbing now. Put the rest on." Here we are two months later, I love them. Especially in snow.

As mentioned above, Btw, these are 27.3" tall... Exactly 3% over stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow WebDevDan,

I just realized I uploaded the wrong photos... The angled shot were the new ones but the lock to lock ones were the OEM tire... Yes, oem was that tight. Here's with the new tire.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I ran 245/40-18 on 18x8 ET38 wheels and got a little bit of rubbing on the plastic fender liners at full lock. Not enough to worry about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts