Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever question why the front tire pressures are 36 psi and the back pressures are 33 psi?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
This is common for front wheel drive cars with the engine in the front.

The extra weight up front combined with the fact that the same wheels have to do the driving and the steering.

·
Registered
142 Posts
for me, it is just easier to make all four 36PSI.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anyone ever question why the front tire pressures are 36 psi and the back pressures are 33 psi?
Interestingly the weight distribution is not readily available, at least not online. While FWD vs AWD, and different engines will undoubtedly have different ratios, I suspect that it's much greater than 60/40 front to rear.

Just look at it ... overhang, front vs. rear ... there's just nothing back there ... vs. up front, engine and transmission. Not knowing the spring rates, stand off and look at it, the front's lower than the rear ;-)

EDIT: Also, yesterday my TPMS warning came on. Before resetting it, I checked the pressures. Apparently I have a nail or a faulty valve, as the left rear had only 14 lbs. But comparing the left and right rear, you could barely see any difference. Not much weight back there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't know the reason Mazda requests this. All other small FWD cars I have owned use same pressure front and rear, but if mine aren't close to specs the TPMS light tends to come on, so 36 and 33 is what I use.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just like MaineManx & NotaPreppie mentioned.
Factor in some good 'ol physics: PV=nRT. Meaning that when T increases (as happens while driving, or environment, the expansion of the gases happen)

I've filled according to the specifications, and also made all the same.
In short Mazda Specification = best quality drive (fuel, wear and tear, engine strain etc) with room for average load capacity. On decent/good quality roads.
Then again, I've had no complaints for making the pressure all the same, however the roads are littered with bumps and potholes. No issues with this 240Kpa, wet, hot, potholes, braking etc, actually gives me the best fuel efficiency. Highest Fuel range (240Kpa) = 6.5l/100km. Best fuel range (240Kpa) = 5.6l/100km. Both are mixed driving - city and open road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
These are the recommended tyre pressure settings in the 2018 European manual :-

Up to 3 persons load - Front 33psi, Rear 2wd 30psi, Rear 4wd 33psi
Full load - Front 38psi, Rear 2wd 48 psi, Rear 4wd 51 psi

Thus in the lower load conditions front and rear pressure settings are the same for 4wd cars. In full load conditions the pressure settings are significantly greater all round. Don't know how they reach that rear 48 or 51psi figure unless it's assumed you are carrying loads of gold bullion in the boot / trunk for a Italian Job ver3 getway :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
REF 215 x 18 x 50 O.E.M. tires
Most ,tire pressure gages , usually the cheep ones are inaccurate by some times as much as 4 P.S.I .

If you compensate for the difference, which you will do for most of those gages .
For some, the tire pressure dials are graduated in two pound segments between each segment you can assimilate the the odd numbers if you are looking for say 33 P.S.I.
On Hot Roads it is not usually the front tire pressure is escalated higher than the rear due to heat and friction .
All dependent on how aggressively you drive.
In my case on hot days 36 P.S.I will escalate to 40 P.S.I. which in my opinion makes the ride [1 ] Uncomfortable . [2] reduces the ability of the front tire tread to grip the road.
After driving a few miles all the tire pressures change on hot roads .
I recommend establishing a Winter and Summer regiment.
It is recommended checking tire pressures every week , don't now be surprised if all the tires show different readings from your original settings .
Replacing the Valve cap and Schrader valve may solve the problem ,also, avoiding pot holes which cause the tire to burp air helps .
Having a tread depth indicator is a worth while investment.
Tire rotation is also recomended.
An additional passenger in the front seat also changes the drive dynamics , for a driver only, may be you could try 36 F 34 R drivers side empty passenger side
35 F 33 R. For Real !
What is that one thing that will destroy every thing relating to your car tires ? > PARKING THE SUN with out rotating the car.
The enthusiast will employ a car cover draped to the ground or cover the tires with four folded old bed sheets.

>>>>>> N/A<<<<<<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts