Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever question why the front tire pressures are 36 psi and the back pressures are 33 psi?

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
This is common for front wheel drive cars with the engine in the front.

The extra weight up front combined with the fact that the same wheels have to do the driving and the steering.

·
Registered
143 Posts
for me, it is just easier to make all four 36PSI.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Anyone ever question why the front tire pressures are 36 psi and the back pressures are 33 psi?
Interestingly the weight distribution is not readily available, at least not online. While FWD vs AWD, and different engines will undoubtedly have different ratios, I suspect that it's much greater than 60/40 front to rear.

Just look at it ... overhang, front vs. rear ... there's just nothing back there ... vs. up front, engine and transmission. Not knowing the spring rates, stand off and look at it, the front's lower than the rear ;-)

EDIT: Also, yesterday my TPMS warning came on. Before resetting it, I checked the pressures. Apparently I have a nail or a faulty valve, as the left rear had only 14 lbs. But comparing the left and right rear, you could barely see any difference. Not much weight back there.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't know the reason Mazda requests this. All other small FWD cars I have owned use same pressure front and rear, but if mine aren't close to specs the TPMS light tends to come on, so 36 and 33 is what I use.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just like MaineManx & NotaPreppie mentioned.
Factor in some good 'ol physics: PV=nRT. Meaning that when T increases (as happens while driving, or environment, the expansion of the gases happen)

I've filled according to the specifications, and also made all the same.
In short Mazda Specification = best quality drive (fuel, wear and tear, engine strain etc) with room for average load capacity. On decent/good quality roads.
Then again, I've had no complaints for making the pressure all the same, however the roads are littered with bumps and potholes. No issues with this 240Kpa, wet, hot, potholes, braking etc, actually gives me the best fuel efficiency. Highest Fuel range (240Kpa) = 6.5l/100km. Best fuel range (240Kpa) = 5.6l/100km. Both are mixed driving - city and open road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts