Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably in the minority here, but I was very disappointed by the CX-3's looks, the profile in particular. The beltline is too swoopy for me, and I was hoping that the CX-3 would look more like the CX-5 w/ a more conventional, straight beltline. It just looks pinched and bulbous. I've been hating for years now the trend of pinched windows. The Forester is ugly from the back, but I really love the gigantic greenhouse that the lines afford.

Anyway, I'm in love w/ the Jeep Renegade, but will have to wait 2-3 years to see if the car is reliable. I am currently in (and loving) my 2013 Mazda 2.

:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm probably in the minority here, but I was very disappointed by the CX-3's looks, the profile in particular. The beltline is too swoopy for me, and I was hoping that the CX-3 would look more like the CX-5 w/ a more conventional, straight beltline. It just looks pinched and bulbous. I've been hating for years now the trend of pinched windows. The Forester is ugly from the back, but I really love the gigantic greenhouse that the lines afford.

Anyway, I'm in love w/ the Jeep Renegade, but will have to wait 2-3 years to see if the car is reliable. I am currently in (and loving) my 2013 Mazda 2.

:D
You might really like the Honda Fit then... it's got incredible volume/open feeling space and unobstructed vision inside for a small car and the flip up rear seats allow you to load tall items. I even got my full size bike in side-wise with the two seats folded up. It handles better then a lot of the other compacts, though not as well as the MZ2 or probably the upcoming CX3. I too liked the MZ2, but it just had too little carrying room. Check it out.

The CX-3 looks great to me, but I agree that it is probably going to have very poor rear quarter vision. It will probably come with side traffic sensors in the side mirrors, like my 2012 MZ3 did, which were really useful BTW.

If you only own the Jeep a few years under warranty it's probably OK, but they have a horrible reliability record and the handling really suc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
To each their own but I think the CX-3 is the better one here, suits all my wants and needs and for me that's good enough.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A totally fair opinion though I'm sure you will be the minority on this site. Is your decision between the two totally based on the looks of the vehicles though, or are you also concerned with the difference in performance and/or capabilities.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm surprised that you don't like the design of the CX-3. It is pretty widely appreciated by the public and critics.

I think the Renegade is an okay looking vehicle but I'm not as interested in the rugged look that Jeep goes for. I like Mazda's more sporty feel better.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm surprised that you don't like the design of the CX-3. It is pretty widely appreciated by the public and critics.

I think the Renegade is an okay looking vehicle but I'm not as interested in the rugged look that Jeep goes for. I like Mazda's more sporty feel better.
x2

i found the cx-3 to be the most appealing one in it's whole segment.
only reason i'd go the renegade route is if i wanted a bit more of a rugged cuv that looks the part too, but i could really care less for that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The renegade is a shoebox in essence, CX3 has far more style too it. but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The renegade is a shoebox in essence, CX3 has far more style too it. but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
It really is in the eye of the beholder. Both look great to me, the difference is both designs target a different need. The Mazda CX-3 hits the sporty angle, while the Renegade aims to stay true to styling you would expect from a Jeep branded vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody noticed the sad trend to rising belt lines in small cars? The top of the door on the previous Fit was several inches lower than the new one. Same for the newer Soul. I read that it was partly styling, partly side-impact rules. When I tried out the new Fit at an auto show, it made me feel like I was in a foxhole peeking out (compared to the old one).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anybody noticed the sad trend to rising belt lines in small cars? The top of the door on the previous Fit was several inches lower than the new one. Same for the newer Soul. I read that it was partly styling, partly side-impact rules. When I tried out the new Fit at an auto show, it made me feel like I was in a foxhole peeking out (compared to the old one).
I could see it making the car safer, so if that is what it is then more power to them.

Do you think that the rising belt line doesn't look good?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Here are some photos of the CX3 and Renegade for comparisons sake.

I really think that the Mazda looks better. It looks more expensive than the Jeep imo. I am reminded of the Kia Soul by the Renegade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here are some photos of the CX3 and Renegade for comparisons sake.

I really think that the Mazda looks better. It looks more expensive than the Jeep imo. I am reminded of the Kia Soul by the Renegade.
So true.

Also - is it me or the white really looks good on the CX3?!

I think this is a white:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the responses. I own a Mazda, and am a Mazda fan! Maybe the CX-3 will look better in person - the beltline, anyway. I just hope that the next generation CX-5 won't adopt this look!

I love the Renegade's looks. But I'm sure the reliability is going to suck. I bought a 2012 Fiat 500 and traded it in for a Mazda 2 within 6 months. Terrible reliability! Tail lights replaced 3X due to condensation. AC unit once. Bluetooth system was a nightmare. Engine often turned, but wouldn't start until the 3rd or 4th try.

2013 Mazda 2 is going strong at 24K miles. Surprisingly, little the engine is refined as hell. Even in the coldest weather, it doesn't sound harsh. It's actually really quiet at idle (the 2 definitely is LACKING in sound insulation, so this makes it that much more impressive) and very smooth when accelerating. My girlfriend's 2014 Nissan w/ CVT sounds like it's about to go when it's cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As most of you have mentioned looks are subjective, being an urban driver without real need for AWD my decision is going to be based mostly on price/mpg/practicality.
My wife owns a tiny Prius C, great mileage but it'll be nice to have something slightly bigger for snow days/carrying stuff when is needed

I am personally in love with the looks of the Fiat 500x, but likely the CX-3 will cost less and have better millage, I also like the HR-V, so I am waiting for final numbers on these two

There is one thing thought, I think Mazda styling is modern and attractive, but It bothers me how big the front of the car is compared with the rest! I know is an almost childish observation and totally subjective, I guess that's how personal aesthetic taste works, but I see it as a beautiful girl that's smart, but with a nose that's too big!!!! (yeah yeah, superficial me)

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is one thing thought, I think Mazda styling is modern and attractive, but It bothers me how big the front of the car is compared with the rest! I know is an almost childish observation and totally subjective, I guess that's how personal aesthetic taste works, but I see it as a beautiful girl that's smart, but with a nose that's too big!!!! (yeah yeah, superficial me)
But those are the design cues that most sporty cars emulate - the long hood, short overhangs+tail that has been dropped down from decades of car design.

The most iconic sports car of all time - the Jaguar XKE has the longest hood proportionally.

·
Registered
277 Posts
But those are the design cues that most sporty cars emulate - the long hood, short overhangs+tail that has been dropped down from decades of car design.

The most iconic sports car of all time - the Jaguar XKE has the longest hood proportionally.
Apples and Oranges.

The Jag was created for sex appeal so the hood was purposely long to imply and cover a long powerful engine.

The Mazda is supposed to be more about practicality. There are 2 reasons its nose is too big(IMO). 1; because the exhaust manifold , unlike its rivals, is at the back of the engine and clearance is needed between it and the firewall. 2; The hoods leading edge is too high because that is what people associate with a SUV.

If the nose was low and short , it would just be another hatchback and that would be okay with me. That would give it a more compact and aero efficient body. Maybe I should buy the new 2 instead. If it had the 2 liter, I would.

Don't suggest the 3. Its ugly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apples and Oranges.

The Jag was created for sex appeal so the hood was purposely long to imply and cover a long powerful engine.

The Mazda is supposed to be more about practicality. There are 2 reasons its nose is too big(IMO). 1; because the exhaust manifold , unlike its rivals, is at the back of the engine and clearance is needed between it and the firewall. 2; The hoods leading edge is too high because that is what people associate with a SUV.

If the nose was low and short , it would just be another hatchback and that would be okay with me. That would give it a more compact and aero efficient body. Maybe I should buy the new 2 instead. If it had the 2 liter, I would.

Don't suggest the 3. Its ugly.
I don't know if that is 100% accurate considering the entire m.o. for Mazda is 'zoom zoom' which in & of itself conveys sportiness.

And no i wasn't comparing the CX3 to a Jag XKE but if you look at most sporty car, the long nose & truncated overhangs are a common thread.

Looking at Mazda's own 3,6, CX5, CX9, MX5 - one see this sporty element represented all over the line.

Furthermore, I highly doubt that engine packaging was the determiner of how this car was design.
The leading edge too high? That is Kodo design not because that is a SUV trait.

·
Registered
265 Posts
^ good point about Mazda's and Jaguar's, more so the Mazda of today with their new design language. IMO they are 2 of a handful of the best brands out there when it comes to unique design and great execution.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts