Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Only with Android phones. Forget it with an Apple phone.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hi
I receive new incoming SMS/imessages just fine with my iphone6 and MZD connect in my CX-3. You need to make sure that in the "communication" menu under "settings" that SMS notifications is set to "ON"

You will not be able to import all SMS from your phone, but new incoming SMS's while connected can be seen and read up for you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi
I receive new incoming SMS/imessages just fine with my iphone6 and MZD connect in my CX-3. You need to make sure that in the "communication" menu under "settings" that SMS notifications is set to "ON"

You will not be able to import all SMS from your phone, but new incoming SMS's while connected can be seen and read up for you.
Just what EVERYONE needs to be doing while driving...reading. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just what EVERYONE needs to be doing while driving...reading. :rolleyes:
Needless to say, as a driver you need to focus on the road. The "radio" or system reads out loud for you.

T

Reactions: CXIII

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it to work finally

Sorry Droid lovers it does work with iPhone 6S plus :) you just needed to go into the setting on your phone where the mazda bluetooth is and enable notifications :) Appreciate all the help Apple forever Droids well maybe one day

·
Registered
304 Posts
No problems getting texts with my iPhone 6+ attached although I usually disable it because it's a distraction as Leavenfish points out.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Got mine working with the advice above. The strange thing is that the MZD compatibility chart says it won’t work.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Needless to say, as a driver you need to focus on the road. The "radio" or system reads out loud for you.

T
I won't be surprised if they try to push this stuff on a HUD system since I can see things going that direction, many ways for them to justify it.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I spend every June in Florida and it concerns me greatly that there is such a lax attitude to using a cell phone while driving. It is so commonplace to see people either on their phone or holding it up texting. There is no need in this little car for any of that dangerous nonsense. You can use the voice command to make calls and the SMS function to have texts read out. it might not be perfect but it's a lot better than the frightening situation you have now.

I agree that the bloody phones should be kept switched off while driving but until you get legislation to get it under control, it does represent a step in the right direction. IMHO.

Reactions: osterga and 1362

·
Registered
37 Posts
Texts show up in with my iPhone 6+. Better yet, the car reads them to you so no need for distraction. Love it!! I just wish you could respond by voice...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I spend every June in Florida and it concerns me greatly that there is such a lax attitude to using a cell phone while driving. It is so commonplace to see people either on their phone or holding it up texting. There is no need in this little car for any of that dangerous nonsense. You can use the voice command to make calls and the SMS function to have texts read out. it might not be perfect but it's a lot better than the frightening situation you have now.

I agree that the bloody phones should be kept switched off while driving but until you get legislation to get it under control, it does represent a step in the right direction. IMHO.

It's up to the police to drag texting drivers off the road. They don't seem to do so much.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
It's up to the police to drag texting drivers off the road. They don't seem to do so much.
I agree but you would need a lot of cops and there would be one lane continuously blocked in Orlando as literally every other car has somebody texting or yakking on the phone. How did they manage 10 years ago?

·
Registered
70 Posts
hi

Just to add to this, on my iPhone under the bluetooth settings for the Mazda pairing, I had tot enable "show notifications" for those messages to start arriving on the car.

No reply function yet however, even with the new version 9.x of IOS :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree but you would need a lot of cops and there would be one lane continuously blocked in Orlando as literally every other car has somebody texting or yakking on the phone. How did they manage 10 years ago?

it might not be a matter of how many people are pulled over, but rather the harshness of penalties as a form of discouragement.

Something on the order of license restrictions (e.g., no driving after 6PM) imposed on texting drivers aged 16 to 21 and/or $200 fines.

"Learn 'em while they're young."

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
This is cut and paste from the UK Government website (£1 = approx $1.5);

Using mobile phones when driving: the law

It’s illegal to ride a motorcycle or drive using hand-held phones or similar devices.
The rules are the same if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.

It’s also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or rider.

Penalties for using your phone while driving
You can get an automatic fixed penalty notice if you’re caught using a hand-held phone while driving or riding. You’ll get 3 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £100.

Your case could also go to court and you could be disqualified from driving or riding and get a maximum fine of £1,000. Drivers of buses or goods vehicles could get a maximum fine of £2,500.

New drivers

You’ll lose your licence if you get 6 or more penalty points within 2 years of passing your test.

When you can use a phone in your vehicle
If you’re the driver, you can only use your phone in a vehicle if you:

need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
are safely parked
Using hands-free devices when driving
You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is cut and paste from the UK Government website (£1 = approx $1.5);

Using mobile phones when driving: the law

It’s illegal to ride a motorcycle or drive using hand-held phones or similar devices.
The rules are the same if you’re stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic.

It’s also illegal to use a hand-held phone or similar device when supervising a learner driver or rider.

Penalties for using your phone while driving
You can get an automatic fixed penalty notice if you’re caught using a hand-held phone while driving or riding. You’ll get 3 penalty points on your licence and a fine of £100.

Your case could also go to court and you could be disqualified from driving or riding and get a maximum fine of £1,000. Drivers of buses or goods vehicles could get a maximum fine of £2,500.

New drivers

You’ll lose your licence if you get 6 or more penalty points within 2 years of passing your test.

When you can use a phone in your vehicle
If you’re the driver, you can only use your phone in a vehicle if you:

need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it’s unsafe or impractical to stop
are safely parked
Using hands-free devices when driving
You can use hands-free phones, sat navs and 2-way radios when you’re driving or riding. But if the police think you’re distracted and not in control of your vehicle you could still get stopped and penalised.
The Australian regs are almost identical. Perhaps we based ours on those of the home country.

I agree make the fines bigger or the outcome unpalatable. My company bans all employees and contractors from using a mobile phone whilst driving even if it is handsfree. Get caught illegally using a phone in a vehicle and you get dismissed - even if it is in your own vehicle. This rule immediately stopped 7000 people doing the wrong thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fully works with Microsoft Lumia 950 XL (Windows Phone 10)
I have a Lumia 950 and I've had differing experiences with texting. I went to the dealer yesterday to get my software updated (don't have the version number handy). Before the update, all my incoming texts were handled by Cortana, which was nice because she'd read the text and I could voice-reply to them. After the update, the texts are now handled by the cx-3 instead, with it displaying the text on the screen, reading it aloud and giving me a list of canned replies. I miss being able to voice-reply through Cortana though... maybe there's a setting I need to do to revert back to having the phone handle the texts, but I haven't checked yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.