Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to other CX-3'ers...

How accurate is your climate/temperature control? I'm finding that mine runs about 10 degrees F too warm (ie, temp dial set at ~62F feels like 72F).

Anyone else have this issue? I've always had to set it on the cooler side, but over the winter and now spring, the poor accuracy of dial setting vs actual temp is very obvious.

·
Registered
106 Posts
On my car, it would depend on the temperature outside. If it was, say, 58 degrees, and I had it set to 72, the climate control would assume I was freezing and really warm things up. Now that the weather is getting warmer (85 today - cant wait for another Texas summer...) it blows quite cold and strong set at 72. I have not measured it, but it seems pretty close.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My last car was more accurate too. I'm wondering if the Mazdas with the digital temperature controls are more accurate? I really think that may be the case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm very unhappy with the climate control, , it's very crude and inaccurate compared with previous cars fitted with dual zone digital control. I start off high and as the car warms up I keep turning it down until it feels right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm, seems somewhat systemic. I agree the colder the outside air gets, the hotter the inside air, assuming the temp dial is untouched. The problem is that this gets quite uncomfortable quick, so I have to constantly change the dial. I do also recall that during last summer with relatively warm temps, I could leave the dial at slightly below 70 and be comfortable.

Maybe this correctable by calibrating the system a bit, or by moving a temp sensor.

Anyone have some technical details on how the climate control system works?

(Anchorman?)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have to say, that the a/c is one of the few things I miss from my previous car.
The one in the CX-3 isn't nearly as good as the one I had in my Fiat Bravo, which was dual-zone with a nice LCD showing airflow, temp., recirculation and airspeed), that worked perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Well I must have had a good one because I'm convinced it's the best I've ever had. It was the most effective heater I've ever had on a diesel taking only minutes to feel warm and was actually capable of burning me if I attempted to hold my hand in front of a vent. It would also set back to a point where I never felt overwhelmed by warm air in the face, it would keep a really comfortable ratio of warm feet and cooler face. I think it was permanently set straight up at about 21C which I'm sure would be straight up on the F scale (just a knob change!).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have yet to use the A/C but the heater was very sufficiently warm over the winter months. Even on like 2 or 3 notches in the RED direction, it was toasty.

Never used auto climate on any of my vehicles as I think they are all POS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
On my car, it would depend on the temperature outside. If it was, say, 58 degrees, and I had it set to 72, the climate control would assume I was freezing and really warm things up. Now that the weather is getting warmer (85 today - cant wait for another Texas summer...) it blows quite cold and strong set at 72. I have not measured it, but it seems pretty close.
This is exactly how it works and is a good reason I dont like automatic climate controls.

Outside temp is 50 and you set it to 72 its gonna blow HOT HOT until it warms interior to 72. On the other side if its 85 out and you set it to 72 its gonna blow COLD COLD until it gets to 72.

I run mine in manual mode all the time and it works quite well. I would say it blows colder/stronger than my old Subaru.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outside temp is 50 and you set it to 72 its gonna blow HOT HOT until it warms interior to 72. On the other side if its 85 out and you set it to 72 its gonna blow COLD COLD until it gets to 72.

I run mine in manual mode all the time and it works quite well. I would say it blows colder/stronger than my old Subaru.
How do you run temp control in "manual" mode? There's no setting except for temperature. Unless you frequently tune the dial, the result is as you describe above.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the temp set where I want, the fan where I want, and the air direction set where I want. Ran that way, it works basically the same as any other manual air con. It does not try to "keep up", it just blows air at the temp you set.

My last car (Subaru) was exactly the same, a non-digital auto climate control - it functioned the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, that's not my experience. Mine adjusts to the outside temp, which makes me suspect that the temp sensor is bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I have yet to use the A/C but the heater was very sufficiently warm over the winter months. Even on like 2 or 3 notches in the RED direction, it was toasty.

Never used auto climate on any of my vehicles as I think they are all POS.
You think what is POS?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Auto climate worked great in my Hyundai and in my current Mercedes. Both of which were very smart. The vents would remain closed until the air was either heated or cooled and then the vents would slowly open up. That way you don't get a blast of cold or hot air.

The cx-3 however is not very smart. It will blow regardless. In the winter, you get ice cold air blowing max speed in your face creating frostbites and in the winter it will give you 2nd degree face burns.

I don't use the auto climate in the cx-3. It doesn't work very well to my liking. I think I have spoiled myself with more intelligent climate systems.

One great thing about the cx-3's hvac compared to every other car I've driven is that it blows ice COLD air in the summer and HOT HOT in the winter. I love it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I have something odd happening with the Climate Control. Based on these posts is sounds like it might be normal. Weather conditions today are cloudy and rainy, temperature around 60F. Got in the car after a work out at the gym and needed a quick cool down. I have automatic climate control but never use automatic mode. I turned on the A/C in manual mode with the thermostat set one click left of center (72) and it blew warm air. I had to turn the thermostat to max cold (60) for it to blow cold air. On my drive home I played around with the thermostat and any increase in the thermostat setting would generate warmer air. Anything beyond the center position (72) felt like a blast furnace.

During the summer months when temperatures here in Texas were well into 90F, one click left of center (72) was more than adequate to keep the car cool.

Do I have an issue or is this the condition that others have described.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a technical bulletin out for certain vin#s to have the auto mode fixed. It used to be posted on this forum somewhere but I can't find it right now. We will be having this fixed by our dealer shortly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts