Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.
Its finally getting warmer here on the west coast, and I had to use my AC recently on some warm days.
My 2016 CX3 will be 3 years into the warranty from Oct. 2015. Well the AC wasn't working, so I got it serviced and today picked up my car.

Edited to add: So it apparently was a leak in the condensor. Mazda removed and replaced AC condensor, added PAG oil and dye to AC system. CHarged AC with R-134a 00.420kgs.

On the Mazda $0.00 invoice I see there is a TSB number 07-17-03, and a TSB issue date of 10/4/2017.
Does this mean that the dealership knew of an issue or possible issue and didn't issue a recall, but only if there was a problem? If I'd waited til after October apparently this would have been off warranty.

Is there a way to find other TSB that have been hidden and not addressed under warranty??
Thanks
Pat

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi all.
Its finally getting warmer here on the west coast, and I had to use my AC recently on some warm days.
My 2016 CX3 will be 3 years into the warranty from Oct. 2015. Well the AC wasn't working, so I got it serviced and today picked up my car.

Edited to add: So it apparently was a leak in the condensor. Mazda removed and replaced AC condensor, added PAG oil and dye to AC system. CHarged AC with R-134a 00.420kgs.

On the Mazda $0.00 invoice I see there is a TSB number 07-17-03, and a TSB issue date of 10/4/2017.
Does this mean that the dealership knew of an issue or possible issue and didn't issue a recall, but only if there was a problem? If I'd waited til after October apparently this would have been off warranty.
Pat
I just received an interesting message from my service guy telling me that Mazda now has a upgrade program for replacement of the A/C unit and asked me to make an appointment to get the work done gratis. In the message it points out that the welding points are weak in the early units and the whole condenser part needs to be replaced.

Is this only in Canada or are others getting the same offer from other markets?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just received an interesting message from my service guy telling me that Mazda now has a upgrade program for replacement of the A/C unit and asked me to make an appointment to get the work done gratis. In the message it points out that the welding points are weak in the early units and the whole condenser part needs to be replaced.

I believe this has occurred in the UK and other European countries in recent months.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There are two other Worldwide TSBs relating to the A/C evaporator (R107/16REV) and control unit (R081/16 ) problems which were issued in late 2016 relating to certain year / VIN range. Might be worth checking out with your dealer especially if your car is getting close to the warranty period ending.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi all.

Is there a way to find other TSB that have been hidden and not addressed under warranty??
Thanks
Pat
If you try doing a web search for Mazda CX-3 Technical Service Bulletins there is one site shown which does give a very comprehensive list. I can't give their name as it would be considered advertising. Happy searching :)

·
Registered
39 Posts

My Canadian CX-3 is also within the VIN range of this AC issue, but I've not been contacted. To be honest I would not have expected to be contacted as that usually only happens with recalls, not Technical Service Bulletins. So I'm curious that someone got in touch with you Geezer. From your post it sounds like this was someone from your local dealership that called you? Were they responding to an inquiry you made, or did they just call you out of the blue to come get the AC issue repaired?

My 3-year warranty will expire this September so I should probably look into this. My understanding is that issues related to recalls are fixed under warranty regardless of whether the owner reports an issue, but with Technical Service Bulletins they only make repairs if the owner experiences the issue, and only during the warranty period. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
451 Posts
My Canadian CX-3 is also within the VIN range of this AC issue, but I've not been contacted. To be honest I would not have expected to be contacted as that usually only happens with recalls, not Technical Service Bulletins. So I'm curious that someone got in touch with you Geezer. From your post it sounds like this was someone from your local dealership that called you? Were they responding to an inquiry you made, or did they just call you out of the blue to come get the AC issue repaired?

My 3-year warranty will expire this September so I should probably look into this. My understanding is that issues related to recalls are fixed under warranty regardless of whether the owner reports an issue, but with Technical Service Bulletins they only make repairs if the owner experiences the issue, and only during the warranty period. Or am I wrong?
Back in November I received an email from the Mazda dealer (Achilles Mazda) in Milton ON where I bought my CX3. It invited me to arrange an appointment to fix a known problem with the AC on early CX3s (mine was bought in late 2015). Whatever they did seems to have resulted in an AC that is almost too effective in cooling the interior of the car. I believe the condenser unit was replaced. Maybe you should approach the BC dealership where you bought yours and insist on a review of recalls that may have been missed on your car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Back in November I received an email from the Mazda dealer (Achilles Mazda) in Milton ON where I bought my CX3. It invited me to arrange an appointment to fix a known problem with the AC on early CX3s (mine was bought in late 2015). Whatever they did seems to have resulted in an AC that is almost too effective in cooling the interior of the car. I believe the condenser unit was replaced. Maybe you should approach the BC dealership where you bought yours and insist on a review of recalls that may have been missed on your car.
Thanks Geezer, most helpful. Interesting that not all dealerships handle these things the same way. I've always been impressed with my local dealership... but I'm even more impressed with yours right now! As it happens I'm due for a service in a few weeks, so I will be bringing all this to their attention.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am going to bring my 2017 (purchased September 2016) in for service sometime next month. I am going to mention this TSB and ask that the A/C system be entirely checked out, especially the condenser. I will add that the VIN on mine is within the numbers on the TSB, so I believe is a valid request - I am at 18,000 miles currently. I will make sure this request gets documented on the write-up, so even if their Tech writes NPF (no problem found) and the condenser fails after the 3-year warranty is up, hopefully it will be covered (and assuming I still own the car - been looking at a CX-5 GTR).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am going to bring my 2017 (purchased September 2016) in for service sometime next month. I am going to mention this TSB and ask that the A/C system be entirely checked out, especially the condenser. I will add that the VIN on mine is within the numbers on the TSB, so I believe is a valid request - I am at 18,000 miles currently. I will make sure this request gets documented on the write-up, so even if their Tech writes NPF (no problem found) and the condenser fails after the 3-year warranty is up, hopefully it will be covered (and assuming I still own the car - been looking at a CX-5 GTR).
FYI the issue is actually with the Evaporator, which is the unit that lives under the dash, whereas the condenser is the one mounted with the radiator.
Good luck, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got back from my scheduled oil change appointment and thought I'd give an update regarding the A/C issue.

Before I got a chance to ask them about it, they told me about the issue and the improved part, and offered to replace it right then while I was in for my oil change. It only took an extra hour or so to get it done. Initially Mazda issued a "TSB", but apparently that was upgraded to an "MSP" (MSP50 for this particular issue). I had never heard of an MSP, so here's the explanation of the various levels of repair programs...

TSB (Technical Service Bulletin): Really just a notice for technicians so they are aware of a possible problem, and lets them know about diagnosis/repair procedures or upgraded parts. These problems are not safety related and usually only affect some unlucky owners. These issues are only repaired under warranty if your car actually has the problem.

MSP (Mazda Service Program): This is a step up from a TSB. This is when a non-safety-related defect is found that is much more widespread. In the case of an MSP, all owners will have their cars repaired under warranty even if they are not currently experiencing the problem (as it was in my case). As these are not safety related issues so there is no urgency to make the repairs, so he said they normally just fix the issue the next time you're in for service, as they did with me.

Recall: Recalls are reserved for major issues that could cause safety concerns, and fixing them is urgent since they may result in injury. When recalls are issued they are obligated to contact owners and make repairs under warranty ASAP.

PS... the original TSB said it was an evaporator issue, but my repair sheet says "A/C Condenser Replacement". I dunno...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm at 69k Miles with my 2016 and my AC stopped blowing cold. Took it to a shop and added dye. Sure enough my condenser is leaking, bought new condenser on amazon for $115 still haven't installed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, if there is an MSP on the condenser, but I'm out of warranty, I have to pay for the damned thing, right? Or is Mazda picking up the cost for anyone who comes in with the issue?

Update- I just called Mazda, and they say there is no MSP on the condenser. So yeah, I'm out of luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts