Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Tail lights on with front DRL

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jerbacher 
#1 ·
I'm interested in having my tail lights on with the front DRLs. Does anyone know if this is possible either through coding or wiring?
Thanks

#3 ·
The easiest way to have your tail lights on with the daytime running lights is to turn the headlight switch to the first setting, (park / position). This will activate all lights, except the headlights. Don't worry, if you forget to turn the switch back to the off setting when you get out the lights will turn off automatically after 30 seconds. When I checked the online manual I discovered you can adjust this time delay on the infotainment panel, so they will go off more quickly.

While looking at the online manual I also found you can deactivate the auto-dimming feature on the dash lights. This will allow you to be able to see the gauges and infotainment panel during the daytime when you turn the light switch to the first setting. To do this you turn the dimming switch to the right until you hear a beep. Going to give that a try today.

I would agree that if the daytime lights are on, the tail lights should also be lit because you want to be seen from all sides. I don't understand why automakers don't set it up this way in the first place. I ride a motorcycle and since the late-70's every motorcycle I have owned has been manufactured with NO light switch. If the bike is running, all lights including the headlight are on. There is only a high / low switch. Not sure why cars and trucks cannot be the same.

Although this doesn't actually answer your question, it offers an alternative. It also provided me with a chance to learn more about my CX-3. Thanks.

#4 ·
I would agree that if the daytime lights are on, the tail lights should also be lit because you want to be seen from all sides. I don't understand why automakers don't set it up this way in the first place.
If I'm correct, automatic daytime running lights were made mandatory in 2011 for all new (type of) cars in the European Union. It only concerns lighting at the front of the car, lighting at the rear was not allowed according to the European directive.
Since 2015 it is permitted to also couple the taillights to the daytime running lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.