Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bough a CX3 touring AWD this month. Recently I always feel a sudden acceleration at low speed or around 20 mpg. Is there a transmission problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I just bough a CX3 touring AWD this month. Recently I always feel a sudden acceleration at low speed or around 20 mpg. Is there a transmission problem?
To start with, welcome to the forum.

Can you describe the exact symptoms of this acceleration please. For example, does it do it when it changes gear and by how much does it accelerate? Does your car have I Active Sense regenerative braking?

I can tell you that nobody else has raised this concern so far.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have not experienced a sudden acceleration event.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are you pressing down progressively harder on the throttle at all? Or pressure is the same (i.e. no change)

I noticed in the first 2-300 KMs on the car, the computer was very slow in down shifting when i needed more power. I would stomp on the throttle and it would only register maybe 1.5 seconds later, downshifting and a sudden spike in RPMs. Not sure if this is what you were describing.

If there was no change in throttle input, you may want to bring it in to get checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. When I push the throttle at the same pressure, there is a sudden acceleration around 20 mpg or even lower. The acceleration is so sudden that I feel like being pushed back the seat.
I didn't pay attention to instrument panel when this happened, and I am not sure about the I Active Sense regenerative braking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! There is no change in throttle input. I will bring my car to a mazda service center to get checked, and let everyone know what the technician say.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It's a drive by wire system that has a potentiometer at the accelerator pedal and a stepper motor that responds in the air intake. It is possible that it isn't calibrated properly. Might be worth trying a demonstrator at the dealer for comparison too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely try a demonstrator to compare. I booked an appointment on Jan 2nd. I keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I bought a CX-3 on December 31st! All was ok till yesterday morning! I drove from home to work for 20 minutes and I entered parking lot with may be 15 miles an hour! I made my 90 degree turn into parking stall and pushed the brake to fully stop! Car almost stopped but suddenly something weird happened and car suddenly accelerated! And it stopped by hitting the snow bank and another car! I called Mazda; they are reviewing the case and car! I am shocked and very scared!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you! There is no change in throttle input. I will bring my car to a mazda service center to get checked, and let everyone know what the technician say.
Just curious but have you tried it in the manual mode to see if it is any different?

I have put about 1100km on my car and haven't noticed these issues BUT I use the manual mode fairly frequently.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, that is certainly disconcerting news...

I haven't done it yet in this car, but I've driven cars before where the gas and brake pedals are very close together and it was easy to hit both the gas and brake at the same time. Especially when I'm wearing my steel-toe boots for work and it's harder to feel the pedals through the thick soles. My old 2007 Mazda 3 was the worst. There wasn't much room between the brake pedal and the transmission/exhaust hump in the floor pan under the dash. I had to literally drive that car with my tippy toes to fit my shoe/boot onto the gas pedal to avoid pressing the brakes at the same time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeshim,

Where are you located? North America, UK?

Can you provide more details about your vehicle?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Yeshim! Welcome to the boards.
I'm in Philly, too, but have not yet purchased my CX-3.
I have a fantasy that, if I whine to the right people at Mazda USA, I can get this car released with a manual transmission in 2017.
Philadelphians = Dreamers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruh-roh. Any updates regarding the problem?
Well, Mazda insists on there is nothing wrong with the car however all experts I talked about the issue tells me that sudden acceleration happens and does not leave any trace in most cases! And once it happens it happens again, sometimes with very bad injuries!
Car is still at dealership, I insist on returning this one and getting another model!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, Mazda insists on there is nothing wrong with the car however all experts I talked about the issue tells me that sudden acceleration happens and does not leave any trace in most cases! And once it happens it happens again, sometimes with very bad injuries!
Car is still at dealership, I insist on returning this one and getting another model!
Please let us know if your dealership will replaced a previously titled vehicle due to a potential problem which cannot be replicated or confirmed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Idk if this is what you are talking about but if you go really fast from 0mph, then the engine will rev pretty high for a few seconds just in case you need added power. The sound goes away though after a few seconds. For me instead of sudden acceleration I have a slight braking feel when I start up the car and start driving in COLD weather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts