Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Have you had a stress cracked windshield?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this vehicle (2019 Mazda CX-3) for 1 yr. now--less than 10,000 miles. I went to a store the other day (temp around 56F I think).
I didn't have the defrost on, just a fan perhaps. Everything was fine when I went into the store but approx. 30 mins.
later there was an approx. 14" horizontal crack! No sign of any stone having hit it, nor did I experience that while
driving. The crack starts on the left (from the left metal support) and is about eye-level. I've contacted 2 dealers who have not
been helpful whatsoever in admitting that this should be taken care of under my basic warranty. (The warranty does not
exclude glass, in the writing of the warranty.) Also, I consider this to be a defect. I see many people experiencing the
same thing with these vehicles, sometimes needing to replace the windshield again in a few months! Apparently in
the past years all mfrs., I believe, have gone to thinner glass and using it as part of the structural integrity of the vehicles.
Really? What kind of engineering is that? I want to know other people that have had this issue. If Mazda won't do this
as a good business measure, we may need to band together to make them do the right thing. Plus, they need to re-engineer
this and make the glass thicker and/or the metal structure stronger...it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I have
liked Mazda in the past, too, (prior owner of another Mazda) but now I'm wondering if I should get a good used car without
such issues. Don't give me high-tech stuff and then cheapen it like this--safety-wise, etc. Disgusted Mazda owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 CX-3 and the the windshield has been replaced 3 times for cracking in the same place. Corporate Mazda was no help on any of this, and the nearest dealer to me, insisted that the windshield was chipped by a stone. I went to the dealership where I leased the car and received better service. Note: It chipped "after" the crack began to grow. When it cracked a second time, they were a little more understanding. Now that it has cracked a 3rd time, I haven't even been back there yet because I'm just tired of this. I hope you fond satisfaction with this somewhere because Corporate Mazda is absolutely useless in dealing with this problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2019 CX-3 and the the windshield has been replaced 3 times for cracking in the same place. Corporate Mazda was no help on any of this, and the nearest dealer to me, insisted that the windshield was chipped by a stone. I went to the dealership where I leased the car and received better service. Note: It chipped "after" the crack began to grow. When it cracked a second time, they were a little more understanding. Now that it has cracked a 3rd time, I haven't even been back there yet because I'm just tired of this. I hope you fond satisfaction with this somewhere because Corporate Mazda is absolutely useless in dealing with this problem. Good luck.
Telenator, thank you for your reply. I've seen numerous posts in general, mentioning cracked windshields prior to this, but now not seeing it. Maybe I'm looking in a different area of this site. I need more people to respond somehow. I have a feeling that people don't bother and just replace it, at their cost. Even if my ins. covers it, I shouldn't have to do that if it is a latent defect, which is what I suspect, but hard to prove....just a strong feeling at this point. Maybe I'll ck. the NHTSA site too. (Oh, also--when you say "in the same place" do you mean at eye level, or the same place each time it's cracked, and where is that?) Again, thank you so much for your input!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My windshield has cracked 3 times on the lower right hand side of the car, (passenger side). The first 2 times it started as a vertical crack at the lower edge of the windshield. A few days later, a second horizontal crack started from the right side edge, about 1/3 of the way way the windshield. Now my rear brakes are toast at 28,000 miles. Going to the stealership Wednesday to get it sorted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My windshield has cracked 3 times on the lower right hand side of the car, (passenger side). The first 2 times it started as a vertical crack at the lower edge of the windshield. A few days later, a second horizontal crack started from the right side edge, about 1/3 of the way way the windshield. Now my rear brakes are toast at 28,000 miles. Going to the stealership Wednesday to get it sorted.
Sorry to hear all you've gone through with this vehicle. Hoping you have good luck when you go to the dealership. Keep me updated, if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the information! It just seems like something is amiss with this issue. I've been driving for decades and have never had a problem like this. They make it sound like it is normal, and that it was from a stone, but I'm not convinced for various reasons. Because of the lane change sensor on the windshield, this is not a cheap fix (it would have to be recalibrated). More money for Mazda, they think. They need to think again, before they lose their customers. I still need to ck. and report on the NHTSA site. Plus, it sounds like there are issues that they are not backing up with the warranty from what I'm seeing on these forums. Rather disappointed with Mazda.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts