Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with only 600 miles on the clock, my poor little mazda got hit on the windscreen by a large stone thrown up from a lorry going the other way... ? got a large chip and crack right in front of the driver. ??
So a new screen is going to have to be fitted.... Not happy....

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It's often the way. Commiserations.

·
Registered
221 Posts
On this trip to Florida, I picked up TWO chips from the same truck in Texas. My wife was furious (her new car) so I called insurance company and they had Safelite attempt repair while we were in Florida. One fixed fine other did not so will probably need new shield upon return to Arizona!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does car insurance cover windscreen repairs/replacement in UK or US? Often included in Australian policies and no excess payable. I have had several windscreens replaced on that basis.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Does car insurance cover windscreen repairs/replacement in UK or US? Often included in Australian policies and no excess payable. I have had several windscreens replaced on that basis.
It does but there is a £50-70 excess and minor repairs are done free by agreement between the insurance and windscreen companies.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It falls under the comprehensive part of the policy in the US. My company pays for repairs (chips) in all cases. Replacement is covered by your policy deductible. In other words if windshield costs 600 and your deductible is 100 the company pays anything over that 100 dollars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It all depends on the level of cover, if you're comprehensive, then its covered, but there is usually an excess associated with a replacement, for repair is usually free.

In my case, the windscreen company decided that the stone chip was too large and in the wrong position (as it is in front of the driver). (See Photo: Coin is a £2 coin of approx. 30mm)

Unfortunately the model is so new, they do not have any screens available so it needs to come from Mazda...!

I am now waiting for them to let me know when the screen is in stock (it been over a week so far..!) so they can come and replace it. Therefore I am still driving around with a chip in the screen. Lets hope it does not turn into a crack, as I'm not sure if I would be able to drive it at that point.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well this morning they came out to replace my windscreen after 4 weeks of waiting, but unfortunately the chap broke the interior mirror bracket that fixes the mirror to the screen, he tried to glue it back together, but it's just not strong enough to hold and kept breaking.

So my windscreen is fixed but I have no mirror....! They are ordering a replacement part.. Let's hope its not going to take a further 4 weeks for this part..! Not happy..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Well this morning they came out to replace my windscreen after 4 weeks of waiting, but unfortunately the chap broke the interior mirror bracket that fixes the mirror to the screen, he tried to glue it back together, but it's just not strong enough to hold and kept breaking.

So my windscreen is fixed but I have no mirror....! They are ordering a replacement part.. Let's hope its not going to take a further 4 weeks for this part..! Not happy..
Its why I hate people messing with my car. I might have a plain old mirror with that fitting which I can post to you if you like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Its why I hate people messing with my car. I might have a plain old mirror with that fitting which I can post to you if you like.
Thanks Anchorman that's a very kind offer, if you don't mind I'll wait to see what autoglass come back with, the chap said he would get a new part from Mazda and come back and fit it. I assume it would have to be the complete mirror as just the ball sockets cannot be replaced.?

He did say it the 5th one he's broken, you would of thought he would be more careful...!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don't know how he's done it. There is a grub screw then just slide it up - dead easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how he's done it. There is a grub screw then just slide it up - dead easy.

He was just doing up the grub screw and it broke...! Seems to me he over did the force to tighten up the grub screw, I'm sure it does not need to be that tight.?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Correct. The bracket is cast aluminium and if he over tightens it he would just Jack the bracket off the window pad. You would think he would learn.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly.... He said it needed to be tight or the mirror will vibrate... But not that tight...!
I could take the opportunity to change the mirror to an auto dimming one, but I seem to recall it does not fit..? Or am I wrong?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Exactly.... He said it needed to be tight or the mirror will vibrate... But not that tight...!
I could take the opportunity to change the mirror to an auto dimming one, but I seem to recall it does not fit..? Or am I wrong?
The £70 mirror off Amazon is too short but extensions are available if you can find them. I was looking at a CX-5 the other day and that has the auto mirror with a long arm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed my windscreen was cracked at the start of the year, no obvious chip, but it was creeping from behind where the mirror and cameras are, so it could have been there for ages. Anyway it took 6 weeks of constant nagging to get mine sorted and cost £75

1 - 17 of 17 Posts