Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Mazda CX3 sTouring 2020 automatic
3 Posts
I have a CX-3 2020 sTouring auto FWD bought new late last year from a Mazda dealer in the Newcastle greater region. I'm not driving every day and the car is still under 5,000 km. I drive mostly for local shopping but use the motorway reasonably frequently to go to Tuggerah, Erina or Gosford.

I began to notice steering issues after the 1000 km service. The steering wheel can feel 'sticky' at highway speeds and doesn't move smoothly when fine-tuning the car's position in a lane. I thought it may have been the tread on the new tires (18" wheel) and thought it would go away, however the steering hasn't got better. There will be periods of highway driving when the steering is smooth but most of the time, fine tuning the cars position in the lane, the sticking problem is present. When it is present, steering adjustments are jerky and lead to overcorrection. Not pleasant. It isn't so troublesome at slower suburban speeds (but can still occur) but it is noticeable at very slow speeds on flat sections of road.

I brought the issue to the dealers attention a month or so ago. They tested the car and contacted Mazda Australia (MA) regarding my concerns though they were unable to exactly replicate the steering issue I'd outlined (I don't know if they drove it on the highway). Mazda Australia did get back to them and asked them to get me back to check the tread usage on my tyres and to see if the wheels were correctly aligned. I had this done a week ago. I wasn't told they'd found anything amiss but was told that they'd sent a report back to MA.

· Registered
3 Posts
I sent an email to the NRMA to see if they could help bring attention to the issue but no response as yet.

In the meantime, I gather from comments on this forum that some Mazda dealerships are beginning to recognise the steering issue as 'real'. Owners with the problem need their cars to be given proper highway driving tests (not just around the block or urban driving) to replicate the problem. It's more of a noticeable problem, for me, at highway speeds when fine tuning my lane position. But I notice it all the time now, at all speeds. You just become more aware of it.

So it's good to hear some dealerships are beginning to recognise the issue. I'll be going back to my dealer again shortly with this forum as a reference and hopefully the NRMA as backup.

Maybe third time lucky.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi Shelby, it seems that our steering issue is resolved for now. I had the same steering column assembly plus bolts replaced. May i know if it is the same part they replaced for your CX3?
After speaking with NRMA for advice, I phoned the Service Manager of my dealer and asked for an update to their earlier inspections re CX-3 2020 Steering and their communications with Mazda Australia (I hadn't heard back). I was told Mazda had confirmed with the dealership that they should replace electric steering motor and part of the steering shaft assembly that comes with the motor package. They are waiting on the parts and will contact me hopefully by month end or into August to come back for a replacement, under warranty. They will make another car available to me in the meantime (steering is a safety issue) if I want one.

So I'm reasonably happy on seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, but have the feeling I would've got nowhere without following this forum and seeing the growing awareness of the problem and growing acceptance of a solution from Mazda. The forum has been vital. Thanks folks.

As to fixing the problem, we'll wait and see. The documentation on what is done in the replacement process and the 12 months drivability of the vehicle, post replacement, will be important closure steps.

I did send a message to Mazda Australia and hope this may have had some impact but I've received no response directly. I'm told from several sources that Mazda has a good reputation in Australia handling these problems but I've personally found the effort to have my issue accepted by them, and their communications, a tad disappointing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts