Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Have you experience any unusual issue in your electrical power steering system? Mine is getting stuck sometimes light resistance. It is also noticable when stationary where turning to the left feels a little harder with little feel of motor resisting the turn. The dealer changed the shaft assembly but the issue again appeared. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Mine is 2020 model 2wd without lane assist. Thanks and Godbless!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is doing similar!!
I’ve had steering shaft replaced and now it’s doing it again. I’ve been back and forth with Mazda since December and it’s a joke now.
Turning left it get stuck and then if I pull it moves again and I end up over correcting.
then trying to keep the car straight on the road any minor correction it’s notches and gets ‘stuck’ and the releases and I again over correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shelby, I can understand the frustration ive been reporting the issue many times also and when we do test drive the car is normal. When did they change your steering shaft? You’re completely right it is a pain to keep the car straight and drive normally when steering is getting stucked

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Shelby, I can understand the frustration ive been reporting the issue many times also and when we do test drive the car is normal. When did they change your steering shaft? You’re completely right it is a pain to keep the car straight and drive normally when steering is getting stucked
ive read that some people where experiencing the issue in a Honda Civic and when they started experiencing it they would go to the dealership then and they wouldn’t turn their car off while waiting for someone to drive it.
The steering shaft was replaced in January and then it was good for about 6 weeks and started playing up again in March.
I’ve read in the Honda Civic it was the EPS RACK. So the electric power steering rack, which hasn’t been replaced.
I started a conversation on here last night and someone has replied saying they are experiencing the same thing!!! We have to get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive read that some people where experiencing the issue in a Honda Civic and when they started experiencing it they would go to the dealership then and they wouldn’t turn their car off while waiting for someone to drive it.
The steering shaft was replaced in January and then it was good for about 6 weeks and started playing up again in March.
I’ve read in the Honda Civic it was the EPS RACK. So the electric power steering rack, which hasn’t been replaced.
I started a conversation on here last night and someone has replied saying they are experiencing the same thing!!! We have to get to the bottom of this!
May i ask the year model of your cx3 and if yours is a 2wd? From my understanding our power steering motor is in the steering column assembly and the steering rack does not have a motor (correct me if i am wrong). Other cars have a motor and torque sensor in the steering rack

·
Registered
20 Posts
May i ask the year model of your cx3 and if yours is a 2wd? From my understanding our power steering motor is in the steering column assembly and the steering rack does not have a motor (correct me if i am wrong). Other cars have a motor and torque sensor in the steering rack
HI Mazbi, mine is a July 2020 Build dated CX3 front wheel drive (2wd)

I think you are right! I have the steering rack replaced but I think the issue (from what I have read etc) is with the electric power steering column assembly.

I have a case with Mazda Australia and I have a field technician coming to drive my car on Friday as the steering is getting worse since Saturday (5 days) and is starting to make a clicking sound kind of.

What build date is yours ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI Mazbi, mine is a July 2020 Build dated CX3 front wheel drive (2wd)

I think you are right! I have the steering rack replaced but I think the issue (from what I have read etc) is with the electric power steering column assembly.

I have a case with Mazda Australia and I have a field technician coming to drive my car on Friday as the steering is getting worse since Saturday (5 days) and is starting to make a clicking sound kind of.

What build date is yours ?
Hi Shelby, mine is Dec 2019 build and yes got the steering clumn shaft assembly replaced in Dec but issue returns after like a month and progresses till it is so noticable. Sorry i didn’t quite get ur previous message, if i understand it correctly they changed ur steering column assembly before and now the same issue came back? I have managed to took some videos of steering getting stucked i can share u in private message if u like

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Shelby, mine is Dec 2019 build and yes got the steering clumn shaft assembly replaced in Dec but issue returns after like a month and progresses till it is so noticable. Sorry i didn’t quite get ur previous message, if i understand it correctly they changed ur steering column assembly before and now the same issue came back? I have managed to took some videos of steering getting stucked i can share u in private message if u like
okay my car was July 2020 build. And had ‘steering shaft’ replaced according to paperwork in January/feb this year and then approx 6 weeks later the problem returned.
They then lubricated some part of the steering and it was good again for 6 weeks or so and now it’s the worst it’s been basically.
Oh yes can you send video privately ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay my car was July 2020 build. And had ‘steering shaft’ replaced according to paperwork in January/feb this year and then approx 6 weeks later the problem returned.
They then lubricated some part of the steering and it was good again for 6 weeks or so and now it’s the worst it’s been basically.
Oh yes can you send video privately ?
I think when they changed ur shaft the motor was changed also as it comes with that assembly, i wonder which part did they lubricated. Mine was changed again now and hoping that issue never returns. Oh sory i think no option to send video here privately

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone! Have you experience any unusual issue in your electrical power steering system? Mine is getting stuck sometimes light resistance. It is also noticable when stationary where turning to the left feels a little harder with little feel of motor resisting the turn. The dealer changed the shaft assembly but the issue again appeared. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Mine is 2020 model 2wd without lane assist. Thanks and Godbless!
Hi
I have just been told it may be steering column issue. i was also having steering issues. Catching and pulling to the right and then left and really hard to keep on the road actually when driving 100klm/hr. Took to Mazda today and they said they have had 5 2020 cx3 issues in the last month. They have contacted Mazda and they said I can have a hire car to drive until they fix it. Disappointing for a new car to have issues already but happy that Mazda recognizes that there is an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
I have just been told it may be steering column issue. i was also having steering issues. Catching and pulling to the right and then left and really hard to keep on the road actually when driving 100klm/hr. Took to Mazda today and they said they have had 5 2020 cx3 issues in the last month. They have contacted Mazda and they said I can have a hire car to drive until they fix it. Disappointing for a new car to have issues already but happy that Mazda recognizes that there is an issue.
Hi yes very annoying.
I’ve had 3 steering shafts and after 5 months they realised it way the ELECTRONIC POWER STEERING ASSEMBLY UNIT - this has now been replaced and it’s perfect !

·
Registered
Mazda CX3 sTouring 2020 automatic
3 Posts
I have a CX-3 2020 sTouring auto FWD bought new late last year from a Mazda dealer in the Newcastle greater region. I'm not driving every day and the car is still under 5,000 km. I drive mostly for local shopping but use the motorway reasonably frequently to go to Tuggerah, Erina or Gosford.

I began to notice steering issues after the 1000 km service. The steering wheel can feel 'sticky' at highway speeds and doesn't move smoothly when fine-tuning the car's position in a lane. I thought it may have been the tread on the new tires (18" wheel) and thought it would go away, however the steering hasn't got better. There will be periods of highway driving when the steering is smooth but most of the time, fine tuning the cars position in the lane, the sticking problem is present. When it is present, steering adjustments are jerky and lead to overcorrection. Not pleasant. It isn't so troublesome at slower suburban speeds (but can still occur) but it is noticeable at very slow speeds on flat sections of road.

I brought the issue to the dealers attention a month or so ago. They tested the car and contacted Mazda Australia (MA) regarding my concerns though they were unable to exactly replicate the steering issue I'd outlined (I don't know if they drove it on the highway). Mazda Australia did get back to them and asked them to get me back to check the tread usage on my tyres and to see if the wheels were correctly aligned. I had this done a week ago. I wasn't told they'd found anything amiss but was told that they'd sent a report back to MA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a CX-3 2020 sTouring auto FWD bought new late last year from a Mazda dealer in the Newcastle greater region. I'm not driving every day and the car is still under 5,000 km. I drive mostly for local shopping but use the motorway reasonably frequently to go to Tuggerah, Erina or Gosford.

I began to notice steering issues after the 1000 km service. The steering wheel can feel 'sticky' at highway speeds and doesn't move smoothly when fine-tuning the car's position in a lane. I thought it may have been the tread on the new tires (18" wheel) and thought it would go away, however the steering hasn't got better. There will be periods of highway driving when the steering is smooth but most of the time, fine tuning the cars position in the lane, the sticking problem is present. When it is present, steering adjustments are jerky and lead to overcorrection. Not pleasant. It isn't so troublesome at slower suburban speeds (but can still occur) but it is noticeable at very slow speeds on flat sections of road.

I brought the issue to the dealers attention a month or so ago. They tested the car and contacted Mazda Australia (MA) regarding my concerns though they were unable to exactly replicate the steering issue I'd outlined (I don't know if they drove it on the highway). Mazda Australia did get back to them and asked them to get me back to check the tread usage on my tyres and to see if the wheels were correctly aligned. I had this done a week ago. I wasn't told they'd found anything amiss but was told that they'd sent a report back to MA.
MAYBE MAZDA HAS A BIG PROBLEM WITH CX3 STEERING AT DEADLY HIGH SPEED AND A
'DENY' GAVE IS PLAYING OUT.
MAZDA MAY NEED TO GENERALLY RECALL.

WRITE: MR VINESH BHINDI
MAN DIRECTOR, 211 WELLINGTON RD, MULGRAVE VIC 3170 AND DEMAND A BETTER DEAL THAN A SERVICER'S CRUISE ROUND THE BLOCK OR A SHAFT BEING REPLACED.
(And I thought I was getting a top class Japanese made car!!!!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my 2020 CX3 in to Mazda service today for this exact same issue and the service Foreman knew exactly what it was as soon as I had described the issue. Came out to the car and confirmed it by feel, then took it in to the workshop and confirmed it was the steering assist motor. Apparently, Mazda now have a technical bulletin issued for this. The car was still safe to drive, but they have ordered the part and it will be repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took my 2020 CX3 in to Mazda service today for this exact same issue and the service Foreman knew exactly what it was as soon as I had described the issue. Came out to the car and confirmed it by feel, then took it in to the workshop and confirmed it was the steering assist motor. Apparently, Mazda now have a technical bulletin issued for this. The car was still safe to drive, but they have ordered the part and it will be repaired under warranty.
Oh this is awesome! They knew straight away.. took them 5 months for me!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh this is awesome! They knew straight away.. took them 5 months for me!!
I guess I should thank you for doing the hard yards on this - I'll admit to having a certain amount of trepidation booking the car in for this, and even the service receptionist told me it sounded highly unusual, but like I said, the service foreman was almost nonchalant about it telling me straight away that he thought it might be the electric power steering assistant motor. Remains to be seen if this will be a permanent fix for the issue but I'm optimistic at this stage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I guess I should thank you for doing the hard yards on this - I'll admit to having a certain amount of trepidation booking the car in for this, and even the service receptionist told me it sounded highly unusual, but like I said, the service foreman was almost nonchalant about it telling me straight away that he thought it might be the electric power steering assistant motor. Remains to be seen if this will be a permanent fix for the issue but I'm optimistic at this stage.
Haha yes many tears and hours and days wasted I finally have a perfectly working car!!
Although I feel like a recall should happen now.. too many cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sent an email to the NRMA to see if they could help bring attention to the issue but no response as yet.

In the meantime, I gather from comments on this forum that some Mazda dealerships are beginning to recognise the steering issue as 'real'. Owners with the problem need their cars to be given proper highway driving tests (not just around the block or urban driving) to replicate the problem. It's more of a noticeable problem, for me, at highway speeds when fine tuning my lane position. But I notice it all the time now, at all speeds. You just become more aware of it.

So it's good to hear some dealerships are beginning to recognise the issue. I'll be going back to my dealer again shortly with this forum as a reference and hopefully the NRMA as backup.

Maybe third time lucky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha yes many tears and hours and days wasted I finally have a perfectly working car!!
Although I feel like a recall should happen now.. too many cases.
Hi Shelby, it seems that our steering issue is resolved for now. I had the same steering column assembly plus bolts replaced. May i know if it is the same part they replaced for your CX3?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Shelby, it seems that our steering issue is resolved for now. I had the same steering column assembly plus bolts replaced. May i know if it is the same part they replaced for your CX3?
After speaking with NRMA for advice, I phoned the Service Manager of my dealer and asked for an update to their earlier inspections re CX-3 2020 Steering and their communications with Mazda Australia (I hadn't heard back). I was told Mazda had confirmed with the dealership that they should replace electric steering motor and part of the steering shaft assembly that comes with the motor package. They are waiting on the parts and will contact me hopefully by month end or into August to come back for a replacement, under warranty. They will make another car available to me in the meantime (steering is a safety issue) if I want one.

So I'm reasonably happy on seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, but have the feeling I would've got nowhere without following this forum and seeing the growing awareness of the problem and growing acceptance of a solution from Mazda. The forum has been vital. Thanks folks.

As to fixing the problem, we'll wait and see. The documentation on what is done in the replacement process and the 12 months drivability of the vehicle, post replacement, will be important closure steps.

I did send a message to Mazda Australia and hope this may have had some impact but I've received no response directly. I'm told from several sources that Mazda has a good reputation in Australia handling these problems but I've personally found the effort to have my issue accepted by them, and their communications, a tad disappointing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts