Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
My approach to installing the stainless steel REAR garnish (from various eBay Chinese suppliers).

1. Download OEM Garnish Instructions from Med-Center Mazda.

2. Download Curt CX-3 Hitch Instruction Sheet.

3. Referring to Figure 1. in the Curt Instructions, remove the two outer push fasteners from the bumper.

4. Carefully position the garnish onto the bumper, using large strips of masking tape to firmly hold the garnish in place up against the bumper cover.

5. Use a center punch/straight pick to mark the three upper screw holes and the two lower outer self-tapping screw holes, through the garnish, into the bumper cover.

6. Armed with a pencil, crawl under the bumper, reach around the backs of the outer push fastner holes (from Step 3. above), and mark the locations of the push fastner holes on the back side of the garnish.

7. Remove the garnish.

8. Drill appropriate holes into the bumper cover … sorry, I can’t remember the drill sizes … I experimented with a piece of scrap plastic to determine the appropiate sizes for the three upper screw inserts. Start with small pilot holes and work up to the appropriate “screw insert size.”

9. Drill pilot holes in the bumper cover for the two lower outer self-tapping screws (provided by the supplier).

10. Using the pencil markings from Step 6. above, starting with a small pilot holes, drill the garnish, working up to a size appropriate for the push fastners in Step. 3.

11. Screw-in the three upper screw inserts.

12. Re-position the garnish onto the bumper cover, again using masking tape to hold it firmly to the cover.

13. Cross yourself three times, clap your hands together, cast an eye to the heavens and pray everything lines up.

14. Loosely screw-in the upper screws, start the lower outer self-tapping screws … jostle garnish around as necessary … press in the push fastners … cinch up all the screws.

Notes:

a. I did not use the center push fastner, into the (flimsy) removable bumper insert.

B. It takes far less time to actually do the installation than it takes to read my overly-lengthy explanation.

**** REAR, NOT FRONT! ****
Seems to be impossible to change/correct the thread title :(

Small detail I screwed-up on!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My approach to installing the stainless steel REAR garnish (from various eBay Chinese suppliers).

3. Referring to Figure 1. in the Curt Instructions, remove the two outer push fasteners from the bumper.

4. Carefully position the garnish onto the bumper, using large strips of masking tape to firmly hold the garnish in place up against the bumper cover.

5. Use a center punch/straight pick to mark the three upper screw holes and the two lower outer self-tapping screw holes, through the garnish, into the bumper cover.

6. Armed with a pencil, crawl under the bumper, reach around the backs of the outer push fastner holes (from Step 3. above), and mark the locations of the push fastner holes on the back side of the garnish.

7. Remove the garnish.

8. Drill appropriate holes into the bumper cover … sorry, I can’t remember the drill sizes … I experimented with a piece of scrap plastic to determine the appropiate sizes for the three upper screw inserts. Start with small pilot holes and work up to the appropriate “screw insert size.”

9. Drill pilot holes in the bumper cover for the two lower outer self-tapping screws (provided by the supplier).

10. Using the pencil markings from Step 6. above, starting with a small pilot holes, drill the garnish, working up to a size appropriate for the push fastners in Step. 3.

12. Re-position the garnish onto the bumper cover, again using masking tape to hold it firmly to the cover.

13. Cross yourself three times, clap your hands together, cast an eye to the heavens and pray everything lines up.

14. Loosely screw-in the upper screws, start the lower outer self-tapping screws … jostle garnish around as necessary … press in the push fastners … cinch up all the screws.

Notes:

a. I did not use the center push fastner, into the (flimsy) removable bumper insert.

B. It takes far less time to actually do the installation than it takes to read my overly-lengthy explanation.

Hey, Thanks again for the great and very helpful instructions...

I finally got a 50 something degree weather to take a crack at the install.

Pictures below.
I think I might also do the front too...
At some point tackle my afwal wimpy horn...

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Pictures below.
Looks great!

Did you drill the extra two holes, to incorporate the bumper support push fasteners?

I too have the front garnish, but have been commanded to first finish the dinette repaint!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great!

Did you drill the extra two holes, to incorporate the bumper support push fasteners?

I too have the front garnish, but have been commanded to first finish the dinette repaint!
So I did drill small pilot holes for the smaller screws on the outside and bottom and also larger holes to fit the screw/bolts thingys...then used the larger hex screws to fasten the guard.

Also I decided to use Gorilla glue on the inside of the guard.

Cheers to your dinette set!

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks great! I'm jealous ...

It appears to be more straightforward than the rear ... of course the experience of first installing the rear undoubtedly helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great! I'm jealous ...

It appears to be more straightforward than the rear ... of course the experience of first installing the rear undoubtedly helps.
yes, indeed it helps and i used a ton of extra gorilla glue too!

Just some extra info that may be helpful when installing this...

The holes that need to be drilled at the bottom don't exactly leave room for a drill based on the hight of the CX-3. For me I decided to drill on an slight angle because i had no ramp to use for lifting the front of the car.
This worked out well when using the metal grommets into the plastic bumper and it was a pretty tight fit.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts

7. Remove the garnish.

Notes:

Hi mainemanx.

I've added a link to this in the how to's and changed the title for you. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
How is this holding up? Finish still good? Did it fare well in winter weather?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When (if) the sun comes out and when (no if's allowed) I finish re-wiring the upstairs bathroom for her TOTO Washlet, I will wash the stern of the Lil' Tiger, and take and post a picture. In the meantime, no rust, no stains, no dents ... still firmly attached ... I like it.

Now it just needs a REMUS for companionship ... but first I've almost sealed a deal on a powered Recaro. I'm good at dreaming ... it's the doing that's a problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Pictures below.
How has the finish on yours held up during the winter weather?

·
Registered
155 Posts
When (if) the sun comes out and when (no if's allowed) I finish re-wiring the upstairs bathroom for her TOTO Washlet, I will wash the stern of the Lil' Tiger, and take and post a picture. In the meantime, no rust, no stains, no dents ... still firmly attached ... I like it.

Now it just needs a REMUS for companionship ... but first I've almost sealed a deal on a powered Recaro. I'm good at dreaming ... it's the doing that's a problem.
Is there plenty of room between the garnish and exhaust? I have 4 inch tips, but still have plenty of room with the bumper cover without garnish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The finish has so far held up well... sometime I worry if it would easily ding with someone tapping it with a bumper.
Lets see what happens in the colder months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks a lot, I Installed mine as well
At the end I found out that was much easier for me to use a Screw and an electric screwdriver to make the holes while having the garnish in place and then just make them bigger with my dremel

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know I saw a thread somewhere concerning sourcing out no-drill front sensors, but I can't find it. I think it was back in 2014/15 ish.

Anyway, seeing as it can be relevant to brand-spanking new garnishes (or to just not smack an air dam), I'll leave this here for anyone thinking about it :)
I personally haven't needed a beep-beep sensor but...sometimes shizzle happens.

Curb-Alert? Parking Sensor - Brandmotion

Installing on a 'Vette, try to put up with the robot voice: https://youtu.be/4Lh7ak0YzY0

Testing on a 'Vette mounted higher: https://youtu.be/Q0wfZx3AWJA

1 - 16 of 16 Posts