Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for any Sport model owners out there or folks that have seen sport models on dealer lots.

Two dealers I've spoken with have told me the Sport model CX-3 on their lots have steel wheels with hubcaps and NOT alloys. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct trim for the Sport model?

The CX3 brochure I have shows both the sport and touring models having 16" alloys. It could be not enough alloys for the initial run, a change in model features or dealers playing games? Anyone know for sure what should be on a sport cx-3 ??

·
Registered
240 Posts
In Canada the GX model comes with Steel and hubcaps. The GS model comes with 16' Alloys and I believe the GT comes with the 18" alloys. RedBeast will be able to confirm the GT rims.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for responding. Seems all the dealers in my area (CT & NY) received Sport models with the steel wheels and the MSRP reflected the lower price for steel & hubs.

I went to a dealer that had a grey Sport and a grey Grand Touring. As soon as I saw the GT in grey with those 18" wheels that was it for me - love at first sight :) Unfortunately the person who test drove the car before me bought it before I could. If I had got to the showroom 1/2 hour sooner I would be picking it up tomorrow. Dealer says another grey GT expected in next week and gave me a VIN number so I'm hoping it's legit and does show up within the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like in the near future (in the US) sport buyers will be able to choose the wheels they want (hubcaps, 16", 17", or 18"). I'm not sure if the dealerships will stock and install the wheels themselves or if they'll come shipped on the vehicles as special orders.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Looks like in the near future (in the US) sport buyers will be able to choose the wheels they want (hubcaps, 16", 17", or 18"). I'm not sure if the dealerships will stock and install the wheels themselves or if they'll come shipped on the vehicles as special orders.
Excellent! I love those 18s, but hate leather. So I'm either going to upgrade to the touring or get the larger wheels for the sport model.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I test drove a GT with the 18" dark colored alloys. Looks and handles great! The road conditions are terrible here in Milwaukee. This is my fourth Mazda I've owned and I've had issues with bent rims and curb rash on every one of them and they've all had the biggest wheel options available for the years they were made. I've owned three Subarus (WRX, Legacy sedan, and Forester), a Honda Civic sedan, a Pontiac G8, and an Oldsmobile Delta 88 and none of those other cars had wheel durability issues like all of the Mazdas I've owned. So, it's 16" wheels for me on my newest Mazda. The taller sidewalls should help with durability a lot. I've driven this car on both the 18" and 16" factory alloys and I find there isn't really much of a sacrifice in handling performance with the smaller wheels. It is noticeable, sure, but is it worth the cost to buy a set of the 18" factory wheels + another $500-600 for a set of more expensive tires? Mazda lists their OEM wheels (all sizes except for the cheapo steelies) at $300 each. Theoretically, the wheel upgrade should only cost labor to install them plus whatever the price difference is between the tires. The dealer will likely want to charge you full retail price for the bigger wheels and not give you anything for giving up the 16" alloys, so you'd be paying for two sets of wheels and tires, but only getting one. Don't let them do that. Unless the dealer gives you some kind of big credit for the original 16" wheels, I don't think it's worth it. If I wasn't getting the GT trim and still wanted a bigger wheel, I'd strongly consider an aftermarket set for a lot less money than they charge for the OEM wheels.

I do have a set of these in 16" size that I had for my old Mazda 6. They're only $103.00 on Tire Rack. They're available in larger sizes, and colors, too.

Same bolt pattern and hub diameter as the CX-3 uses, but the offset is 50mm where the OEM wheels on the CX-3 are 42mm, and my Sport Editions are a half inch wider, too. Might need a set of spacers and longer studs or bolts in order to use them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Found out from aa local mazda dealer today that all of the sports have the steel wheels and hubcaps because they made so many tourings that they ran out at the factory. So the sport is supposed to have the alloy wheels but doesn't (at least in the US). He's also not allowed to order any sport model until November because of this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Found out from aa local mazda dealer today that all of the sports have the steel wheels and hubcaps because they made so many tourings that they ran out at the factory. So the sport is supposed to have the alloy wheels but doesn't (at least in the US). He's also not allowed to order any sport model until November because of this.

Your right. According to MazdaUSA site.

CX-3 Sport
146-hp, SKYACTIV-G 2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
SKYACTIV-Drive 6-speed automatic transmission
EPA-estimated mileage city/highway (mpg): 29/35†
Vehicle features:
Halogen headlights
16-inch Alloy wheels
Variable-intermittent windshield wipers
Air conditioning with pollen filter
Power windows with driver's one-touch down/up feature
Power door locks with keyless remote entry
60/40 split fold-down rear seatback
7.0" full-color touch-screen display
Advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains‡
Rearview camera††
Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.