Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been discussed before... How often do you find yourselves driving in sport mode vs. regular (non-sport) mode?
First couple days of ownership I found myself switching between the two- but rarely engage sport mode since.
For those that alternate- what kind of fuel differences do you see? What kind of driving are you doing that sport makes a difference?
Daily driving for me involves a lot of stop-and-go traffic so sport mode would not do much, which is why I often neglect it when roads open up, just curious how often folks take advantage of it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've only used it once. I've always found transmission modes, whether it be sport or economy, to be gimmicky. If you need one or the other, just adjust the throttle application accordingly (IMO).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Driving in Sport mode alters the throttle response and holds a gear longer. The longer reving (closing in on rev limiter) will of course consume more fuel. I would engage sport mode only when on freeways as its pretty annoying when driving in stop and go city driving. For me personally i dropped about 5mpg in hwy driving in sport mode than in regular mode but that is based on my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Naw, sport mode is for out in the country or good mountain pass when you want to make good progress or just have some fun. I suppose they could have done it the other way and called sport normal and normal eco.

The diesels don’t have sport mode as they do better lugging but sometimes if i want to pass something, I will use manual to change up as it holds on to revs too long when floored. Diesel torque comes down between 2000 and 3000rpm.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in a high traffic area(near Los Angeles) so I don't use it very often either. I use it about as often as I use my paddle shifters, like others have mentioned when I have some wide open roads and can have some fun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I live in a city where drivers think that a turn signal is an invitation to pass on that side.
I use sport mode to get the extra jump (just to change lanes.)

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
I live in a city where drivers think that a turn signal is an invitation to pass on that side.
I use sport mode to get the extra jump (just to change lanes.)
Exactly this. Sport mode is quite helpful in city traffic when you want to pass cars that are turning, merge quickly, etc. For me, it is more like "city mode." ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Would using the faux manual shifter / paddle shifters do the same thing as Sport Mode, but give you more control and a better ability to really fly out of a situation if you had to?

It sounds like Sport Mode lets you wind up the engine to higher RPMs between gears, but the fake manual shifter lets YOU choose how high you wind things up, is that correct?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Exactly. If you engage the manual mode, the sport mode does nothing.

The thing is, the sport mode is smarter because it keeps your car at an RPM that gives you the highest torque.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Exactly this. Sport mode is quite helpful in city traffic when you want to pass cars that are turning, merge quickly, etc. For me, it is more like "city mode." ;)
Exactly. If you engage the manual mode, the sport mode does nothing.

The thing is, the sport mode is smarter because it keeps your car at an RPM that gives you the highest torque.
Hi Greaseman!
Can you explain further? If I'm going all rogue fake manual speed demon, I might end up just winding things up but blowing past the optimal RPM that would get me the highest torque (if I wanted to really move forward in a hurry)? Therefore, I'd be kinda going fast, but not really lurching forward as fast as Sport Mode would make me?

I like to write incoherent questions, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
Hi Greaseman!
Can you explain further? If I'm going all rogue fake manual speed demon, I might end up just winding things up but blowing past the optimal RPM that would get me the highest torque (if I wanted to really move forward in a hurry)? Therefore, I'd be kinda going fast, but not really lurching forward as fast as Sport Mode would make me?

I like to write incoherent questions, sorry.
Basically, in sport mode the transmission shifts much later (at higher rpm). Normally the transmission's purpose is to upshift as soon as possible for optimal fuel economy. When driving in city traffic, you often want to pass slow cars (cars that are turning, etc), and if you are in normal (economy) mode the transmission often has to downshift two or even three gears to get you going. This takes a while, and it's quite annoying to not have power to pass. You can do this with the "manual" shifter in much the same way by driving as if it were a manual. The sport mode does a good enough job that I rarely use the manual mode. If you havent driven a manual car before, play around with the "manual" shifting and just get a feel for the powerband on this car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Basically, in sport mode the transmission shifts much later (at higher rpm). Normally the transmission's purpose is to upshift as soon as possible for optimal fuel economy. When driving in city traffic, you often want to pass slow cars (cars that are turning, etc), and if you are in normal (economy) mode the transmission often has to downshift two or even three gears to get you going. This takes a while, and it's quite annoying to not have power to pass. You can do this with the "manual" shifter in much the same way by driving as if it were a manual. The sport mode does a good enough job that I rarely use the manual mode. If you havent driven a manual car before, play around with the "manual" shifting and just get a feel for the powerband on this car.
Thanks! All I've ever driven are manuals, which is why I keep asking persnickety questions. I'm committed to getting the CX-3 in the next few months, even though it's not available with manual here in the US. So I ask lots of fussy questions about the automatic transmission and every single response suggests it's awesome and that I won't miss stick shift. I mean, I will miss it, but maybe I can just get over it. :)

Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the North American CX-3 is rated at 146 lb-ft torque at 3000 RPM. I've noticed that on sport mode, it generally keeps the RPM at a range of about 3000-4000 RPM, which should give you the quickest response. Personally that's the range I've noticed or felt the best acceleration. At 5000 or more RPM it doesn't really feel like the car is accelerating as well. I hope that explains it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the North American CX-3 is rated at 146 lb-ft torque at 3000 RPM. I've noticed that on sport mode, it generally keeps the RPM at a range of about 3000-4000 RPM, which should give you the quickest response. Personally that's the range I've noticed or felt the best acceleration. At 5000 or more RPM it doesn't really feel like the car is accelerating as well. I hope that explains it.
Yep! Awesome, thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread as I have tried sport mode once on the highway.After having my Cx3 for five months I finally decided to try the manual mode and it was okay but no big deal to me.
I will still play around with manual mode but the sport mode seems like the way to go for most scenarios.
After driving a stick for over 40 years the automatic is a welcome change for me but if I had a Miata the manual would be the way to go.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will miss it, but maybe I can just get over it. That's what you said about stick shift Sarah. I, like you, always drove manual cars but, now have the automatic. I'm so surprised how quickly I've come to like it. It helps that the Mazda auto is so good. Just for fun every now and then I drive it in manual. So, enjoy the auto if you go that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I signed up just to post this to see if anyone else has noticed this .... well, software bug I guess.

We all know that the accellerator has a "bump" when you really want to drop back 2-3 gears instead of 1-2 to really floor it.
And if you dont want to go past it, you can feel just before that bump.

So here's the bug.

This happens when going over 75km/hr... mainly.

When NOT in sports mode, if you are doing 75+km/h if you pulse the accelerator up to (but not past) the bump, then back to crusing acceleration level, the car will drop down to 4th or other close gear depending on the conditions. But then, will quite quickly recognise its speed + lack of needed acceleration, and then will happily move back to 5th or 6th easily within a few seconds.

BUT, when IN sports mode, if the same pulse is done.... The car will drop to 3rd gear and appropriate revs will ensure... However it DOESNT recognise the speed + lack of speed and it will REMAIN in 3rd gear for up to 10 very long seconds, sometimes longer if you dare.

To break cycle, you can either wait (at high revs), or turn off Sports mode, or flip to manual select and back again (which turns off sports mode anyway)

I took it back to the dealer, took a technician with me, they checked and updated it. Tested another CX-3 and ended up telling me that it's a normal behaviour.

I would love some feedback on anyone who has noticed this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts